Vaq hammer swap?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hammie

Single-Sixer
I'm not exceptionally talented with mechanical things, but I've done it successfully several times.

There is a helpful video on ruger's website. If you haven't been there, go to ruger's home page (ruger.com), roll over "news & resources", and then click on "videos" on the drop down menu. Then click on the "tech tips" icon, and then select the single action assembly and disassembly. I've not found the asembly/disassembly to be quite as easy as the guy in the video makes it look, but it is all quite doable.

hammie

Single-Sixer
@FHBrumb: I've swapped 4 hammers on two new model blackhawks and two mid-frame flat tops with super blackhawk hammers. They all worked fine as "drop-in" parts.

The problem right now is finding the hammers. I've had two super blackhawk hammers on back order from midway since december.

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
The last time I wanted a Super hammer I called Ruger. That was a couple months ago. I got the hammer in about 5 days.
Worth a try. I have a couple on backorder from Brownells also (just for my parts collection).

hammie

Single-Sixer
@chuck: Thanks for the suggestion. I just checked with midway and they're now predicting september 2014 as a delivery date for the super blackhawk hammers.

G2

Hunter
Ruger had Super Hammers just a few days ago... :wink:

G2

Hunter
FHBrumb said:
Super hammer = Vaquero hammer?

NO

Most when wanting to swap out Vaquero Hammer do so with the wider thumb cock Super Hammer.

I think that everybody that replied above, assumed this is what you seek.

Tuco Tom

Single-Sixer
I'm a little slow....

If I have a "New" Vaquaro I can swap hammers with a Super Blackhawk Hammer?

DGW1949

Hunter
Like I said before, "it depends".
On post #12 we've learned that the OP does not like "the Bisley hammer". I'm OK with that because I don't like them either....but that alone aint answering the questions which need answered.
Me thinks that we should know the answers these before trying to answer "How hard is it to do?":
Which style of RNV does he have, and which hammer does he want to install?
Will it involve a different hammer-only, or a different hammer Ass'y?
Is it just a hammer install...or is there to be a grip frame change also?
Does he got any experience, as-in..... ever tinkered on small machinery before?
Does he got the right tools?
Does he got's a manual and/or a parts drawing?....you know, something to go by once the revolver becomes just a pile of parts?

Just sayin' that what's easy for one guy may not be so easy for the next, some hammers swap easier than others, and that the difference is in the details......which, as far as I can tell, none of us knows.

DGW

JimMarch1

Blackhawk
You can graft a Super hammer into a Blackhawk (either frame size), Vaquero or New Vaquero quite easily. Note that the mid-frame size Blackhawks are basically NewVaqs mechanically speaking but with improved sights.

You can also splice in a Bisley hammer but you have to modify the hammer some. It's not very difficult...basically the rear area of the hammer's "lower circle" area needs to be ground down to follow the profile of the stock (or SuperBlackhawk/Montado) hammer. Any decent grinding wheel will do :) and it's not a high-tolerance area.

The sear fit IS critical and it's usually a drop-in. Be sure and do good basic tests to make sure it's OK post-swap - cock it, dry-fire it, cock it again and wiggle the hammer around to make sure it doesn't slip off the cocked position. Odds are you'll be fine.

Now there's one more thing to check: make sure the transfer bar isn't being "pinched". Flatgate and others believe transfer bar pinch is a factor in premature transfer bar breakage and I for one agree.

Step one: take the cylinder out, put the base pin back in so the action works.

Step two: cock it and dry-fire while holding back the trigger.

Step three: push forward on the hammer with some authority - not "crazy" but give it a shove.

Step four: while pushing forward on the hammer release the trigger.

If the trigger goes forward, you're fine. If it sticks back it is because the transfer bar is being "pinched" between hammer and firing pin and is holding the trigger back.

What you do next to fix it is annoying. Get some small files (PUT DOWN THE DREMEL, GRINDER OR ANY OTHER POWER TOOL!) and gently file on the face of the hammer that hits the transfer bar. Not the top-most area, the face of the "step" below that. This decreases the amount of "whack" being applied to the transfer bar, basically.

You need to test it for pinch a bunch of times as you file. I found it to be nearly a 2hr job on mine while watching TV - the hammer metal is hard as hell. I wrapped a small bit of rag around the base of the hammer as I filed with it cocked (but the gun mostly assembled 'cept for the cylinder) so I could test it between more filing sessions.

You want to stop filing JUST when the pinch ends. And then, if you filed with the gun assembled, you need to now take it completely apart and clear out the ground-up hammer metal before use.

I for one think this is vital if the gun is going to be pressed into defensive service, and useful on any other.

What else...ah. Yeah. There's one other source of hammers - Ron Powers at Power Custom. He can sell you a matched hammer/trigger setup that is a lot like dropping in a high-dollar action job yourself. He sells hammers in regular and Bisley flavors with the Bisley set up to fit in non-Bisley grip frames already.

There's a rumor he also sells some in SBH shape as well...you'd have to call and ask.

The prices are high - $180 or so for the hammer/trigger set. But it may be worth it to you - a gunsmith would charge $125 for the same work level, plus shipping, so the cost is about a wash and you don't have to ship your gun anywhere. Plus it's a drop-in Bisley solution for non-Bisley grip frames.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
FHBrumb said:
How hard to swap out a vaquero hammer?

Simply put, any Ruger large frame or mid frame hammer will interchange and drop in, (Original Vaqueros are large frame and the NEW Vaquero is a mid size frame.) Which do you have?

As said above, the exception is the Bisley hammer; they also inter-change too, with a little metal removal from the hump as shown:
DSCN0589.jpg

A few checks after hammer change is wise and standard procedure as outlined well by Jim March. But 95% of the time there are none of these minor issues.

FHBrumb said:
Super hammer = Vaquero hammer?

No, not regular production Vaqueros but some limited edition Vaqueros made for exclusive distributors are supplied with Super Blackhawk hammers which are lower and wider than standard hammers and look like this:
orig.jpg

The videos suggested above are excellent but will cause you some wasted effort if you just need to change the hammer.

REPLACING JUST HAMMER and/or PAWL:
Recognize, you do not need to hassel with the PESKY GATE SPRING, pull the trigger pin, trigger OR transfer bar JUST to remove the hammer and pawl. Once you remove the grip frame, the hammer pin is the only thing you need to remove to get them out. Just pull the hammer back and all the way down, then depress the hammer plunger in the base of the hammer with a small tipped screwdriver to clear the trigger extension where the transfer bar connects to it. Let the hammer & pawl fall out. Install in reverse! Piece o' cake.

NOTE: When you pull the grip frame, examine the upper end of the two trigger guard screw holes where they are exposed. Almost always there will be a huge flat 'roll-over' burr in each hole from the milling cuts that expose the holes. If they are present they generally cause the 1st 1/8" of removing those two screws to take extra effort to unscrew. You'll need to break them off and pick them out with a dental pick or equivalent tool.

FHBrumb

Bearcat
Vaquero. Not New Vaquero. Bisley model. I dislike the Bisley hammer.

Is this what I need?
780-001-283MB 
Hammer, Only

Mfr Part: KMVQ04001

$32.99

Hondo44

Hawkeye
That is the standard New Vaquero hammer, it has the extra long spur:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammers/hammer-only-prod44182.aspx

The super Blackhawk hammer shown above on my Blackhawk is #780-000-535WB. $23.96:
http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/trigger-group-parts/hammers/hammer-assembly-ss-sku780000535-44411-28153.aspx?sku=780000535
It's currently out of stock, but just click Backorder and they will ship it as soon as they get it and not charge your card until shipped. These are in high demand.

You can also order from Ruger for $29 but they will not place a back order for you, you just have to keep calling.

Recognize your Bisley hammer is also in high demand and would fetch a good price on the forum, especially if it's a blue one (no longer made).
You'll find someone on this forum to trade you a SBH hammer for your Bisley hammer.

The SBH is a drop in for your gun, but just so that you're aware: remember the photo of the Bisley hammer in my post above that shows the 'hump' that must be removed to fit the standard plow-handle grip frame? Well the Super hammer does not have that hump and therefore will not fill the long slot in the top of the Bisley grip frame. But it's a cosmetic issue only, it will function fine!

Latest posts