Birdshead Grip Comment and Question...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

HeavyDuty

Bearcat
caryc said:
HeavyDuty,

Those laminated wood grips are made from layers of dyed wood. You will never get that color out of them no matter how much you sand them.

That was my feeling too - but there was no indication about what grips those are, so I had to ask. Are they yours?

caryc

Hawkeye
HeavyDuty said:
caryc said:
HeavyDuty,

Those laminated wood grips are made from layers of dyed wood. You will never get that color out of them no matter how much you sand them.

That was my feeling too - but there was no indication about what grips those are, so I had to ask. Are they yours?

No they're not mine but I've made laminated grips before and I know them when I see them.

Look at the bottom (butt) of the grips and you'll see the laminations.

HeavyDuty

Bearcat
caryc said:
HeavyDuty said:
caryc said:
HeavyDuty,

No they're not mine but I've made laminated grips before and I know them when I see them.

Look at the bottom (butt) of the grips and you'll see the laminations.

Thanks! I'm trying to find out what grips those are.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Wayno,

True the birdshead grip frames are all just one size no matter which model they come on.

It's true the birdsheads you have feel like a 2x4. I also call them plywood although the slaps laminated together all have the grain in the same direction. They are resin impregnated and as Caryc said, extremely easy to reshape and do not need refinishing, just ground down on a grinder or belt sander, sanded with progressively finer sand paper, and ending with 2000 grit. They'll look pretty good at that point but another two minutes on a power buffer will make them look like factory. They smell awful when you sand them but they can be worked down beautifully.

The standard plow handle grips, even Super BH grips cannot be fit to them. The rear bulge is too wide.