Bisley Grip Frame on Old Model Blackhawk...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
Hamilton Bowen made me a Bisley framed OMBH last year in 38 WCF. Turned out very nice. Currently building me another one in 41 Special. Not sure where the frames come from, but you could inquire of him.

contender

Ruger Guru
You can bolt on a Bisley grip frame easily to an OM. The only modification needed is to make a trigger return spring "block" to insert in the g/f. It's an easy thing to do.
Do a search around here & you'll see pics of one.
Basically, you are making a small metal block to capture the trigger return spring. It fits in the slot inside the frame, It has a hole for the spring, and a smaller hole for the cross pin that keeps it in place.
Even if you use hand tools you can fabricate one in a few hours from some brass or aluminum.

If an old model gun has had the transfer conversion done I do not think the adapter block Contender is talking about will work. If the gun has not been converted you can order an adapter trigger form David Clements for $65 and one of his old model bisley hammers for another $200+ and be in business. David recently had a price change on his old model bisley parts so you would have to check with him on what the exact price is for the hammer. Regardless, I do not think you will be able to bisleyize an old model with the conversion kit.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
contender said:
You can bolt on a Bisley grip frame easily to an OM. The only modification needed is to make a trigger return spring "block" to insert in the g/f. It's an easy thing to do.
Do a search around here & you'll see pics of one.
Basically, you are making a small metal block to capture the trigger return spring. It fits in the slot inside the frame, It has a hole for the spring, and a smaller hole for the cross pin that keeps it in place.
Even if you use hand tools you can fabricate one in a few hours from some brass or aluminum.

Dave Clements makes a trigger that allows a New Model grip frame to be fitted to a Three Screw Ruger. Don't know if Bidley id available or not.

Bob Wright

contender

Ruger Guru
I will say that I do not think the transfer bar assy will work along with the small block installed for the trigger return spring. I do not know exactly, as any OM's that I get that had the safety conversion done, gets UNDONE.
You can easily put the Bisley g/f under an OM, but the hammer & trigger assy will require a lot more.
I'll see if I can post a pic of my OM Super with the SS Bisley g/f I installed.
Here it is;

wapiti22

Blackhawk
"I will say that I do not think the transfer bar assy will work along with the small block installed for the trigger return spring"

If the block is small enough that the arm on the trigger that holds the transfer bar doesn't hit, it should work. Anyone have an answer to this?

Wrangler John

Bearcat
this is a old New Model Blackhawk .357/9mm Convertable from about the mid 1970's that was used as a parts gun. I sent the frame to Gary Reeder and he built it into a 5 shot .480 Ruger in the 1990's. Note the Bisley hammer and SBH grip.

He offers many grip frame styles, and note below that some are shown on Old Models.

http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/grips/Default.htm

Reeder notes that Ruger is controlling the Bisley parts more so he developed his own Magnum Grip frame.

http://www.reedercustomguns.com/revolvers/grips/Magnum.htm

Might want to send him an email and see what can be done.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ryan,

A Bisley GF swap to the old model can be fairly simple with several options, even if converted to the transfer bar.

#1 Clements makes two adapter triggers: standard and Bisley.

#2 or you can make the simple adapter block out of alum:
orig.jpg

Take the front spring hole dimension and location from your old grip frame. Take the rear cross pin hole location from the Bisley grip frame. Or just cut the piece out of your old aluminum grip frame with a hacksaw. Or there's lots of OM junk grip frames around to be had cheap if you want to keep yours.

The block will work with converted OMs just like the OM grip frame requires no changes when the guns are converted. Or just unconvert the gun. The frame has not been modified in any way and all you need is an OM cyl bolt and you can buy those easily. The only other two parts you'll need to convert back are the trigger and hammer but you're changing those anyway.

#3 If the gun is converted you can use a Clements Bisley adapter trigger: just cut the transfer bar extension arm off of your trigger and have it tig welded to the Clements trigger.
Or simpler and cheaper: use a SBH transfer bar conversion kit trigger with the adapter block; it's not a Bisley but it's wide enough to fill the slot in the Bisley trigger guard. Grind off the grooves if you prefer it smooth like a Bisley. And they are a dime a dozen. In fact, if your gun isn't converted, that's still your cheapest trigger solution; just cut off the transfer bar extension arm.

#4 Now we come to the hard part, the hammer: easiest solution, use an old model SBH hammer. It has almost the same basic low profile shape as the Bisley hammer. The downside is the long hammer slot in the top of the Bisley grip frame isn't filled with the larger Bisley hammer base, and OM SBH hammers can be hard to find.

Next cheapest solution is cut the top off of the Bisley hammer and have it welded to your OM hammer; whether it's a transfer bar hammer or not.

Third, buy one from Clements or Bowen. However neither make one for the single six if that's your project. So your back to cutting and welding.

Feel free to ask any questions and I hope that helps,

Latest posts