The .30 Carbine versus the .357 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

David LaPell

Blackhawk
I was asked this question by my nephew who was looking at getting a .30 Carbine Blackhawk, and he asked me how it would compare to the .357 Blackhawk. I have never shot the Carbine revolver myself, but I have had a couple M1 carbines over the years. I liked the round in them for personal defense, but not sure what use it would be in a revolver other than maybe coyotes, here you can't shoot a deer with anything under .357 Magnum. So how do they stack up against one another, I know the only barrel length you can get the .30 in is 7 1/2 due to getting the most velocity out of a rifle round, and the .357 is a 6 1/2 inch which I have gotten 1,350-1,400 fps out of easily with some pretty decent handloads not even pushing the envelope.

Well, my observation would note that the .357 allows a greater selection of bullets if nothing else. You can get bullets from about 90 grains up to 200 grains for the .357, while most of the usable bullets for the .30 Carbine are in the 100 to 110-grain range.

With lighter bullets, either will allow considerable velocity (and noise) but if you want real animal-killing performance I'd go with serious .357 ammo. Personally, I consider the .357 to be marginal on deer, admitting that a well-placed shot will do the job in most cases. As far as that goes, a well-placed .30 would likely work as well, but the limit in bullet weight has to be factored into the equation.

All this is strictly JMHO, and I'm sure others will disagree. That's OK with me . . . we were asked for opinions.

:)

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
I almost bought a .30 BH a month or so back. The deal killer for me was that I could NOT even find any new brass for sale. I have had dies for 40+ years and have had a couple carbines. I ordered a 6" GP100 instead. I already have over a dozen .357 BH`s.

contender

Ruger Guru
Due to it's smaller diameter, lighter bullets, fewer bullet selections, the 30 carbine isn't usually a preferred caliber for deer sized & larger game.
Comparing the Ruger Blackhawks side by side in those calibers, they are the same frame size. the 30 carbine is only offered in 7-1/2" as you know, and the .357 has two options.
Down range energy is lower in the 30 carbine due to the items in my first sentence.
Basically, the 30 carbine is more suited to smaller game, up to the coyote level, while the .357 can do a bit more.

Tellico

Buckeye
Contender speaks with much wisdom. Personally I consider the .357 as a gun I don't really need. I have one but rarely shoot it. I like my .30 Carbine for varmints up to coyote size. I would not feel under gunned for lion though. For anything tougher or larger I prefer my .45 Colt. I carry a .45 ACP for in town. JMHO
Fred

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Dave,

About the only thing going for a 30 Carbine new model is that you can shoot 32-20 in them if that holds any interest for your nephew. Brass is available. The 7 1/2" barrel is a drawback though, for me. I prefer the 32-20 in a short barrel single six.

The 357 can be had in the mid-size frame, new model flat top and New Vaquero. The standard Blackhawk 357 is a heavier gun not really needed for 357. The mid frames will handle any 357 loads safely.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
I wish I had one. I think if you handload the 30 carbine it can be a versatile plinker/sport/target shooter in the Blackhawk platform. I think the 30 carbine could be just as much fun as the 32 H&R mag or 327 federal. There are lots of 30 cal bullets that would lend themselves well to experimentation. :D :D

Snake45

Hawkeye
Long story short, the .357 will be FAR more versatile and useful in a number of ways.

Tellico

Buckeye
Snake is right! If I had only one gun it might be a .357. Since I have .30 and a .45 I just have almost forgot the .357 though. I see no need for a .327 Federal if you have a .30 either. Unless you just want one. The .30 comes no where close to its potential unless you hand load for it with pistol powders. The use of Carbine rounds is good for fireball and noise but the true velocity of the round in a handgun is best reached with faster powders that would not be suitable for the Carbines. I have been experimenting with HS-6, AA9, Herco, 3N37, Power pistol, 296 and yes even 2400 and Unique.(I know I said I don't like those two, but if they work?) Trying 90, 100, 110gr HP & SP bullets and 115 lead with very satisfactory results. My Ruger is 4 5/8" and I alternate between a 2X red Dot and a 2X scope depending on my mood. I would like one of every Ruger made, but just trying to be practical here. :lol:
Fred

Just my opinion I think the only reason ruger ever made a revolver in 30 carbine was there was so much surplus ammo to be had for next to nothing they are just fun to shoot I use to shoot a lot of woodchucks with one if you missed one with the bullet you burned it to death :lol: :lol: :lol: I have #225 NIB wont shoot it but if I could find a stash of ammo cheap I would buy a shooter

GRAMPS

32magfan

Blackhawk
I picked up a. New Model shooter a few years ago in 30 carbine. It is a little rough on the finish but sound mechanically.

It is very loud especially with military rounds. Ear plugs and muffs together are suggested.

I have dies and have scavenged several hundred rounds of brass. I just have never gotten around to loading any yet.

I am a big fan of the 32's (obviously) and the smaller diameter bullets don't bother me. I don't see a big need of it but I like having it anyway. I would in no way suggest to get a 30 over a 357. I also would not talk someone out of getting the carbine handgun.

32Magfan

DGW1949

Hunter
If one enjoys ear-spitting noise and blast without much recoil, and/or if they enjoy lugging around a heavy/bulky 6-gun which is under-powered for deer but over-powered for rabbits, then .30-cal Blackhawk might be perfect for them.

Other than that, I'd say scrap the idea and get the .357 instead.

DGW

RonS

Single-Sixer
I wondered when someone would mention the blast. My BIL and one of my best friends have them. They are fun to play with. Bring ear protection. Plugs under muffs is a good idea. I'd stick with the .357 unless I had an Mi Carbine I wanted to share ammo with.

jeffnles1

Blackhawk
I have a .30 Blackhawk and a 30 Carbine. Nice to have one ammo for both guns. Similar to my 45C lever action and 45C Vaquero.

30 carbine in a revolver is an interesting round. Fun, loud (yes remember your ears), and it's accurate. Never hunted with it so can't comment on game. It makes a proper mess out of milk jugs.

Jeff

Tellico

Buckeye
The blast and fireball are due to the slower powder use in the Carbine rounds for reliable cycling. If you reload for the handgun using normal pistol powders you can reach the velocity you want without the fireball and blast. I don't mind all the uproar, but it is unnecessary and a waste of powder. Powder burning in the air is not pushing the bullet. Using Power pistol has some flash, but try HS-6, Herco, AA9, AA7, 3N37, Unique, 2400, 4227 (compressed loads), 296 (try his one with a 90gr XTP!) or a dozen powders in that burning rate for the best velocity without the ruckus. You might like the .30 better. A lot of even faster powders make great plinkers with cast bullets. JMHO.
Fred

veeman

Single-Sixer
I love my 30, great for whacking rocks, cans, jugs, groundhogs. Great plinker loaded with Red Dot and cast boolits. And I regularly load mine with 32-20 brass.

5of7

Hunter
Here is the way I see handguns in general:

Handguns are basically short range weapons that are designed primarily for either defense, target shooting, plinking, Hunting, and a variety of other short range situations. Short rand means 50 yds. or less.

The larger bore scoped revolvers can be used for longer ranges, but this is a somewhat specialized sport, with far more people involved in it that who are good enough at it to be considered sporting, IE too many bad hits resulting in wounded game.

Therefore, to me, anything under .40 caliber handguns are essentially relegated to the PD/target/plinking category. Now that is not to say that these smaller bore guns are not legitimate, I own and enjoy about a dozen .32 caliber handguns, but the allure lies in load development and target/small game shooting.

This leaves the 30 carbine as kind of an outlier in the handgun caliber dept., because if one wants a small bore cartridge, there are a LOT of more pleasant guns to shoot. I don't see it as actually useful for anything that can't be done with say, the .32 H&R Mag. without the muzzle blast and the great ball of fire exiting the muzzle. Unless, of course, one want's to set some weeds on fire and doesn't have any matches on him.

This is just my OPINION....feel free to ignore it. 8)