The .30 Carbine versus the .357 Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

schloss

Single-Sixer
contender said:
jski,,,, uhh,,,,,, Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!! This post is 2 years old,,,,,,,!

That's hilarious. I didn't even pay any attention to the post dates before you mentioned that...

I think Starline has been expanding their line a lot lately. If they would just start making 30-30 cases for me, I'd be very happy.

jski, welcome to the community.

jski,,,, uhh,,,,,, Welcome to the Forum!!!!!!! This post is 2 years old,,,,,,,!

No, I didn't see the original date either. The funny thing is I've been reading about various calibers and often old posts from this very forum show up. A lot dated 2011 for some reason. I've thought about commenting on some of those old posts just for kicks. Like the Call Shot Fan Club. That CSFC brass you guys ordered is still floating around... Not to deviate from the 30 carbine thread... I've got one, don't really like it very much. I'm working on getting it converted to another caliber next year.

willk

Blackhawk
The 30 Blawkhawk shoots like a laser. Flat trajectory with little recoil. Rather than a .357 which is the premier self defense round in a double action revolver, a heavier caliber is much better for hunting. As far as versatility you would be hard pressed to find a better all-around revolver cartridge than a .44. The special for practice and light hunting and the Magnum loads for light and medium big game. If you handload the 44 is even better.

Notice I did not mention muzzle blast. If you are shooting a handgun regardless of the caliber including 22 short and you are not using hearing protection. You are losing your hearing and sentencing yourself to a life of ringing ears

Of course suppressed sub sonic loads are just as good as ear muffs

Jayhawkhuntclub

Buckeye
You know I really don't care how old a post is as long as it's relevant to what's going on today. Maybe I'm weird. 8)
I don't have any experience with the 30. But it's hard to beat the ammo options/prices and power range of the 357/38 special. I still think a 30 would be fun to play with though.

REP1954

Blackhawk
My thoughts are you can get the 30 Carbine and if it dose what you want it's a great gun. You can get the 357 and do everything the 30 Carbine dose plus everything the 357 dose.

eveled

Hawkeye
They must have been a ball, back when surplus ammo was cheap. Or for GI's who could get free ammo. Be like having a .223 Blackhawk today.

edlmann

Blackhawk
eveled said:
They must have been a ball, back when surplus ammo was cheap. Or for GI's who could get free ammo.
Introduced in '68, when the DCM was in full swing and LC was still cranking out .30 Carbine. What amazes me is that these pistols stay in production, with a sales rate of well under 1,000 per year. :?
eveled said:
Be like having a .223 Blackhawk today.
Let's not give anyone any ideas. :roll:

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have an OM 30 just because I like to shoot and reload for lots of different calibers, like 25, 30, 32, 35, 40, 41, 44 and 45. Take your pick!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
veeman said:
edlmann said:
eveled said:
What amazes me is that these pistols stay in production, with a sales rate of well under 1,000 per year. :?

Just curious, how do you know that? Is there a place that lists that sort of thing?
You can find production numbers (estimate) here. If you look from 2010 - 2013 they only made 1,574. After that they used two different prefix numbers.

http://ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#revolver

nhdon

Bearcat
I have a 4 digit 30 carbine and blast with GI is loud but I think it may have to take second seat to new sbh 7.5 inch in 22k hornet still working up loads using 2400,4227,lilgun donk

eveled

Hawkeye
veeman said:
edlmann said:
eveled said:
What amazes me is that these pistols stay in production, with a sales rate of well under 1,000 per year. :?

Just curious, how do you know that? Is there a place that lists that sort of thing?

Strange how it looks like I said something I didn't.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
I always had the idea .30 Carbine was under powered Didn't that rifle start with parachuters in WWII? One of the best books I've read,, about Fox Co. Marines in Korea. Nov. 1950. The .30 Carbine failed yo penetrate the heavy , woolen Chinese uniforms. 30-06 MI did , tho. It was only -30 degrees. Actions would freeze shut.

Chuck 100 yd said:
I almost bought a .30 BH a month or so back. The deal killer for me was that I could NOT even find any new brass for sale. I have had dies for 40+ years and have had a couple carbines. I ordered a 6" GP100 instead. I already have over a dozen .357 BH`s.

This is the exact reason I too passed on a killer deal on a a 30 carbine BH several months ago. No ammo and no brass available anywhere locally.

Starline shows 30 Carb. in stock ready to ship. The Ruger 30 Carbine is one of the most accurate and fun guns I have. There are so many cartages you can shoot with the NM Blackhawk. Watch your trim length and polish the chambers and no stuck cases.
Eric
:oops: :( I also just looked at the original posting date.

Rob72

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
I always had the idea .30 Carbine was under powered Didn't that rifle start with parachuters in WWII? One of the best books I've read,, about Fox Co. Marines in Korea. Nov. 1950. The .30 Carbine failed yo penetrate the heavy , woolen Chinese uniforms. 30-06 MI did , tho. It was only -30 degrees. Actions would freeze shut.
Actions on EVERYTHING froze shut. Range shooting is different than mountain shooting- meaning that many, many, many shots were well over the 300 yard combat effective range of the .30 carbine. Add to that the lower velocity related to below-freezing temperatures, and its subjective performance did indeed suck. Objectively(in those instances where actual range could be determined) the .30 carbine performed and continues to perform as well as any sub-gun caliber.

daveg.inkc

Hunter
What this author brought out, Chinese in the heavy, woolen Winter uniforms would stop the .carbines light bullet. Even close range. "Last Stand of Fox Company". Bob Drury. Tom Clavin

Rob72

Bearcat
daveg.inkc said:
What this author brought out, Chinese in the heavy, woolen Winter uniforms would stop the .carbines light bullet. Even close range. "Last Stand of Fox Company". Bob Drury. Tom Clavin
Got it and read it. Dad on USS New Jersey from '54-'56, 2 great-uncles, mortar and rifleman, '52-'56. :wink:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Very good book. Fast reading, I could not put it down. I kept imagining what those soldiers were going thru. May have been close to -40. Brutal.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
daveg.inkc said:
I always had the idea .30 Carbine was under powered Didn't that rifle start with parachuters in WWII? One of the best books I've read,, about Fox Co. Marines in Korea. Nov. 1950. The .30 Carbine failed you penetrate the heavy , woolen Chinese uniforms. 30-06 MI did , tho. It was only -30 degrees. Actions would freeze shut.

Drugged-up frozen soldiers vs a calm cervid. Serious apples to oranges. I've literally gutted coyotes from chest to tail with a 30 Blackhawk and SP bullets.

On paper the 30 Carbine 110 gr FMJ at 1990 fps delivers 965 ft/lbs energy. (18" barrel)
A standard load in 44 Rem Magnum is the SJHP at 1180 fps, delivering 741 ft/lbs energy. (7.5" test barrel)

- And I don't hear anyone saying the 44RM load is inadequate for deer.
Of course max effective range (all shots inside a 6" circle) is everything.
If you can shoot your 30 Blackhawk at 650+ ft/lbs at your max 6" range, I'd say practice and get into a stand.