GP100 38 Special 3"

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jsh

Single-Sixer
Not a 4" and not a 2". I saw this thing setting on a bottom shelf at a little shop a few weeks ago. Tha adjustable sight was what caught my eye to begin with. After looking around and asking a few questions I had to have it. IMHO it needs some trigger work but being stainless I will run it for a while yet.
I do have to say it shot excellent right off the bat. Other than adjusting the sight. Keep six rounds on a 9" paper plate off hand at 50 yards. I had about 15 rounds left and thought I would take a crack at the 14" gong at 100 yards. Adjusted my windage a bit more and 6 out of 6 hits pretty well centered.
Had some old wad cutters to empty out so went to 25 yards double action. It stacked the first dozen in a nice hole about 3". The group did open up the more I shot. But, these bullets were a bit hard in my opinion any way. Had had leading issues with them in other guns.
I hate to say it but I think I am going to get out of the smith and wesson business. The last two GP's have out shot any of my smiths in the same caliber. And the smiths had a LOT more load work done to get them to shoot as well as the Rugers.
I honestly am going to give the 38 a go in next summers bullseye league.
Jeff

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Sounds like you have a nice Geep there. Is it a .357 or .38? I've never seen a 3" adjustable sight gun before. Does it have the half shroud or full shroud?

hittman

Staff member
A 3" GP of any caliber with adjustable sites is a scarce item. I'd love to find one for sale.

Thel

Blackhawk
"Sounds like you have a nice Geep there. Is it a .357 or .38? I've never seen a 3" adjustable sight gun before. Does it have the half shroud or full shroud?"

Here is a pic of one from a thread on the "other" Ruger site:

pix201461299_zpse3c8d9e7.jpg

There weren't very many made from the thread. I have also gotten out of the S&W game having sold my last, a 686+ Mtn. Gun.
Now, it is on to another Ruger. Here is a link to the thread if anyone is interested in more info on the 3" model:

http://rugerforum.net/ruger-double-action/69085-interesting-gp100-model.html

jsh

Single-Sixer
It is a Davidsons gun to my understanding.
Full length shroud. IMHO balances very nice and is heavy enough to help weight wise to get back on target quick with 38s.
Jeff

Snake45

Hawkeye
3" is a lovely barrel length for a midsize revolver. I have a pair of limited-run 3" Smith 66s, and would love to someday own a 3" Colt Detective Special.

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Congratulations on the 3" with the adjustable sights. I have the Blued .38 3" with the fixed sights. It is flat out fun to shoot. All I need to do is replace the Hogue rubber grips and I'll be content.

Best Regards,
ADP3

Maximumbob54

Bearcat
FergusonTO35 said:
Cool!! I wish Ruger would bring back the KGPF-840, still kicking myself for not buying one when I had the chance.

Was that the half lug fixed sight model? If so then YES I AGREE!!!!!

ADP3

Single-Sixer
Maybe Jason can talk Lipsey's into ordering a special run from Ruger. Lipsey's has offered some great GP100's in the past but I don't think they've done a 3" yet.

Best Regards,
ADP3

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Was that the half lug fixed sight model? If so then YES I AGREE!!!!!

Yes, it was a stainless .38 Special with a half shroud 4" barrel and fixed sights. If Ruger would bring them back I would order one as soon as I got the word. They were a regular catalog item in the early 2000's. My LGS quoted me $395.00 for one. I said I would think about it, and then forgot apparently. It would be even sweeter with a half lug barrel and adjustable sights but fixed sights are ok too. When Ruger does these runs of .38 Special GP's I have no way of knowing about them.

Yeah, I know I'm a weirdo for wanting one of these in .38 and that you can shoot .38's in a .357 no problem. For some reason a GP in .38 Special is just so darn appealing to me and I have no idea why. I already have a set of compact Lett grips at home, waiting for the day I finally score one.

Thel

Blackhawk
An interesting variation, as someone mentioned, would be to do a run of 1/2 lug 3" GP's with adjustable sights. I would buy one in an instant as
never been a fan of the full lug barrels.

Maximumbob54

Bearcat
Talo, are you listening? Or Ruger? I will fall over myself gathering up the dollars for that half lug 3" GP100.