WILEY CLAPP

Help Support Ruger Forum:

A

Anonymous

It seems every gun forum I look at mentions something having to do with Wiley Clapp (http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=188769).

Okay, who is Wiley Clapp. And what has he done in the world of shooting sports (other than write about stuff) to get guns, grips, sights, and other accessories named after him? And seems he's always hobnobbing with some gun guru or another, or some executive of this or that firearms-related company.

And I'm not being a smartass here, either, okay? I've read Keith, Atkins, Nonte, Cooper, Skelton (possibly my favorite), Jordan, George Evans, and Jack O'Connor extensively. I used to have bound copies (a year's worth at a time) of The American Rifleman...shelves full of the things until I sold them all. Point being, I'm not unfamiliar with a lot of sixgun and shotgun pioneers.

But until late last year/early this year, I'd never even heard of Wiley Clapp. I even searched the Internet for him. All I found is a bunch of pictures, and some posts on other forums by people wondering who he is, too. I even saw a photo of a "Wiley Clapp Inspired" Ruger GP100. And something like "expert advice from Wiley Clapp" on choosing the right handgun.

So. To paraphrase Butch and Sundance: Who is this guy?

Jim Puke

Hunter
He is a former Handgun Editor for "Guns and Ammo"...outside of that, I have no real knowledge of his resume. I read his monthly articles for years and, more times than not, I came away disagreeing with him. So, I am not disparaging him, but I have never been very impressed with him or his gun acumen.

SATCOM

Blackhawk
Wiley Clapp, former U.S. Marine and law enforcement officer, field editor for American Rifleman and handgun editor for Guns & Ammo is the majordomo behind a Talo exclusive Lightweight Commander made by Colt.

Perhaps a Jeff Cooper want-a-be?

SATCOM

" . . . the majordomo behind a Talo exclusive Lightweight Commander made by Colt" . . . as well as a "special" GP-100 from Ruger.

"Perhaps a Jeff Cooper want-a-be?"

Perhaps. :roll: :wink: :roll:

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
never heard of him.......held a WCGP100 @ a LGS and it did feel good.....kinda spendy, but it DID feel good.

A

Anonymous

SATCOM said:
Perhaps a Jeff Cooper want-a-be?
SATCOM

Well, there was only one Jeff Cooper, and some people might say, "Thank goodness". Whatever. While I didn't agree with Cooper's politics, I give him credit for advancing the cause of the Colt .45 semi-automatic more than anyone else I can think of right offhand. Except for John Browning, of course. And Cooper kept himself in good physical shape throughout his life. He walked the walk and he talked the talk. In my mind, I can see a picture of Cooper in that aggressive shooting stance of his as clear as if I'm looking at it in Guns and Ammo. I can't see a similar mental picture of Clapp to save my life.

Sgt405

Bearcat
He served this great country in both the military and with a career in law enforcement. When you walk with danger you formulate opinions and preferences. We all do. It does not mean those opinions will be shared by everyone. We all have the ability to glean information and make our own decisions . I have been in the Army and have 38 years in a law enforcement career. I had the pleasure of meeting some of the greats and some who just wanted anonymity. While I stop short of calling most a legend, Mr Clapp does have far more knowledge than I and his opinions are respected. If I do not agree with someone I will not resort to belittling them.

His input with Colt and Ruger via TALO was asked for as far as what he would want as features on the respective guns to make them combat worthy from the box at a reasonable price. Again, his opinion. You don't have to agree. I for one do on the GP100WC. It beats my S&W Performance Center F-Comp hands down. I carry it off duty now.

The Blackhawk Kid

Blackhawk
Wiley Clapp was comparable to John Taffin in these days. He was Guns & Ammo. Colonel Jeff Cooper was on the border patrol and became an icon in law enforcement. Colonel Cooper had something to do with the design of the Bren Ten pistol, which Don Johnson made famous in Miami Vice. Have you heard of the Gunsite Ranch? Wiley Clapp also was a shooter/designer with alot of influence in the gun mfg. world. We as shooters/collectors owe alot to these two icons. BHK

Jim Puke

Hunter
The Blackhawk Kid said:
Colonel Jeff Cooper was on the border patrol and became an icon in law enforcement. BHK

Sorry, but Jeff Cooper never worked for the Border Patrol. However, Bill Jordan had a long and storied career with them.

Also, Wiley Clapp never demonstrated the broad and quantifiable knowledge of guns that he has written about, like John Taffin always has.

Quiet 1

Single-Sixer
Sugar River said:
When I first heard the name I thought it was a story about a new insidious venereal disease.
That's a four smily face line. :) :) :) :) More specifically, a cunning, crafty form of Gonorrhea. :wink:

Cooper was never in law enforcement other than as a consulting weapons instructor.

After his Marine career, he became a history professor.

He developed the "modern technique" of combat pistolcraft, and has instructed it all over the world, in some "interesting" places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper

He has BTDT.

pisgah

Buckeye
The Blackhawk Kid said:
Colonel Jeff Cooper was on the border patrol and became an icon in law enforcement.

Utterly untrue. Marine, shooting instructor, author, historian, philosopher -- but not law enforcement. Never met the man, but maintained an infrequent but very enjoyable correspondence with him for years.