GP100 Wiley Clapp grips

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Sgt405

Bearcat
Good morning,
I have a question. I carry the above off duty. I have been reading here that Ruger made the same style grips(rubber with inserts) in a smaller compact size. How do I tell the difference looking at the pics of grips for sale when it is not mentioned in the description.
Thanks for the help.

eveled

Hawkeye
GPgrips_zpsf41381ac.jpg

This is the best picture I have found comparing the two grips. It is not my picture and not my guns.

They have been swapped, the Wiley Clapp gun pictured has the old style compact grips installed. The other GP has the WC grips on it. The compact grips used to be on the non adjustable sight GP's.

The easiest place to see a difference is at the heel of the grip, the corners of the inserts are rounded off more on the compacts. It is hard to tell the difference from a picture of just one set of grips, you also have to be careful not to buy an SP101 grip be accident.

The compact GP grips take the same inserts as the SP101's do, but the compact GP grips are larger than the SP grips, even though they use the same inserts. Here is a picture of my GP with the compact grips and SP to show the difference in size between them.

fathersonset002_zps9b38820c.jpg

Good luck, the compacts have been selling for crazy prices lately. If I were you I would use the WC grips until somebody starts to make the compacts again. Ed

Sgt405

Bearcat
Many thanks. All the pics on eBay looked the same to me and none said compact in the description so I had no way to compare. Yours is great.
Thanks again

eveled

Hawkeye
Your welcome, glad to help. The easiest way to tell the difference on Ebay, is if the price goes through the roof you know they are the compacts. As I said I would wait, somebody is sure to start making them again, Ed

Sgt405

Bearcat
eveled said:
Your welcome, glad to help. The easiest way to tell the difference on Ebay, is if the price goes through the roof you know they are the compacts. As I said I would wait, somebody is sure to start making them again, Ed

Will do.

GP100man

Buckeye
When ya look on the rite side the compacts are rounded.

The panels are the same on the GPs compact & the SPs rubber grip , BUT the rubber won`t interchange/different .