RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Praise for the 41 Magnum
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:12 pm 
Hawkeye

I gotta admit, I did almost sell this one. But in speaking with Contender, he said I'd probably be sorry if I did. It is a fun gun in an enjoyable caliber, and this gun is extremely accurate. Not sure if it's the Bisley Grip frame, or the 7 1/2 inch barrel, but it's got a nice trigger and is just a pleasure to shoot.

I know a lot of people here like the 41. Today I was trying out some loads with 2400 powder. It seems, like the 45, there are more loads for this caliber than you can imagine. My bullets are 215 grain Poly Coated. I got them from SNS Casting. I thought they were 210, which is more common. But the package states 215. I weighed quite a few of them and they were all right around 213. I usually load down, on the light side, so I just went with the 210 loading data.

When I first got it, about 3 years ago, I put a little over 500 rounds though it, then it sat in the safe until now. Now, the last couple weekends, I've put another 200 rounds through it. So honestly, it's barely broken in. It was "As-New" when I bought it.

It would probably look a lot nicer with a fluted cylinder, maybe long flutes, like the old Colts.
The grips aren't custom, just aftermarket. I bought them from someone here on the fourm. They have the screw only on one side. And honestly, there isn't a screw on them at all. But they fit so tight, I just don't worry about them. Sort of funny really, perhaps someday I'll splurge and get some nice custom grips for it.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:36 pm 
Single-Sixer

Beautiful 41 , your right about the load versatility, I haven't found one it doesn't like yet, unique, 2400, titegroup have all worked well for me. Don't sell that one, doubt you'll find another like it for a long time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:05 pm 

41 Mag is my favorite caliber; period.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:19 pm 
Single-Sixer

I'm sure Contender is right, you would have missed that one. Heck, i still miss every one i sold/traded away, and some were not even as classy as yours!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:16 am 
Hawkeye

Gotta have a lever gun to go with it. I'd suggest a Henry Big Boy in .41 mag. :)

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:18 am 
Ruger Guru

Since we talked Kevin,, I've played with my latest .41 as well. My latest is a SBH Hunter similar to your gun. I bought it off WMG here.

I always advise folks to hang onto certain guns as they can often be missed, and "seller's remorse" will nag you for a LOT longer than whatever you buy with the money satisfies you.

Heck,, I USED to trade off guns regularly. and I STILL have an illness called "seller remorse" over more of them than I can count. M1-Garand, Belgium Browning Hi-Power, Browning BL-22, Liberty Ruger NM .45 Colt, 1/2 dozen Ruger Single-Sixes, (3) S&W M27's with 5" bbls, S&W M27 with 8-3/8's, (bought off a close friend pilot at Ft. Hood,) my first OM 357, Colt .22 Match Target, Rem 788 in .222 I'd got from a friend & former police chief here, Ruger M77 in 243, and others if I really start thinking.
Don't sell it,, you'll REGRET it for sure!

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:09 am 
Single-Sixer

Hi...
I have three .41Mag revolvers and all three shoot quite accurately. Two Ruger BlackHawks and a S&W 57.
I shoot commercial cast LSWC 215gr and Hornady HP/XTPs with either Unique or 2400 powder.
I recently started using powder coated LSWC from Kings Shooter's Supply in King of Prussia Pa. I am very pleased with the accuracy of their bullets and am transitioning most of my cast loads over to their powder coated bullets when I can get them.

Serious fan of the .41Mag...probably my favorite handgun caliber, but don't tell my .44Spl revolvers that.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 pm 
Hunter

You've got a winner & a nice looking one at that. Nothing it won't handle in the lower 48 with correct shot placement. We've taken elk & moose with ours, doubt you'll need a bigger gun.

Dick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:17 pm 
Hawkeye

contender wrote:
Don't sell it,, you'll REGRET it for sure!

No doubt about it, I let a few slip away and regret it to this day! ps

Guns have only two enemies; Rust & Politicians

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:25 pm 
Hawkeye

No, this one is a keeper. I’m finding I like the Bisley frames more and more.

Thanks for all the comments.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:22 pm 
Hawkeye

That is a great looking Ruger!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:37 pm 
Blackhawk

I love the .41's too... Sold my 3 screw ser. #900 and bought these two Bisley's:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:12 pm 
Single-Sixer

Ive really got the itch for a 41 magnow. I had a s&w 57 at one time but never fired it once before I sold it. I was always a 44 or 45 shooter before so never saw the point of the 41. Im finally starting to see the light.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:33 pm 

Oh, a 41 Mag picture thread! :lol:

I'll play .....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:34 pm 

Those Uncle Mike's / Butler Creek grips are ugly as a mud fence but worth that aggravation if you're shooting hot loads!