RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Birds Head Grip?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:44 am 
Single-Sixer

I'm wanting another 45 acp, I had to sell off or trade my 1911's. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my hands, wrists, elbows and sholders of both arms. I really loved the 1911 and 45 acp and handloaded for it, when the RA got me early last fall I couldn't hold the 1911 much less pull the slide back. The meds I'm on now have moderated the pain, and yesterday a beautiful spring day here in SWV went out and shot my MK IV 22/45 Lite and my Single Six 22/22 mag with no problems. Sorry for being long winded before my question. How is the recoil on a Ruger Single Action 3.75 in barrel Birds Head Grip? I work at a local gun shop a couple days a week and we got a real nice one in the other day and was wanting another 45 acp, the 1911 slide is still a problem. It felt great in the hand, any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Post subject: Re: Birds Head Grip?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:07 am 
Hawkeye

Recoil is of course relative, but, I have a short-barreled Birdshead .45 ACP, and I find it very pleasant to shoot.

Don't forget, with the tiny little gripframe, the recoil energies are concentrated to a smaller portion of your hand, which may or may not be a concern.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:18 pm 
Hawkeye

Man, I feel your pain. I have just recently regained the ability to work the slide on my 1911 and other centerfire semi autos thanks to surgery on my thumb. As to the birds head SA revolvers I have limited recent experience. I have lost the ability to comfortably shoot all SA center fires larger than .357. I have found that DA revolvers are a lot more comfortable for me to shoot. If you know someone with a birds head, ask to shoot it and see how it goes. Good luck going forward with your RA!

Dave

Brody's Grampa
Donna's Husband
Mark & Jeremy's Dad (Ruby's too)
Heather’s FIL
USN 1968-72
NRA member
VFW
Arms Collectors of SWW
Oregon Arms Collectors
God Bless America

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:04 pm 
Hunter

I'd buy it if the price was right just to have one. With ACP and 45 cowboy loads it shouldn't be hard on recoil.