Single-Sixer
MaxP said:
Couple more.

.500 JRH Bisley by Huntington:

.45 Colt Bisley with 6-shot oversized cylinder by Huntington:

.44 Mag Bisley with 6-shot oversized cylinder by Huntington:

.480 Ruger Bisley with Dall sheep horn grips by Rob Rowen:

.454 Ruger Bisley with Circasian walnut grips by Rob Rowen:
Beautiful revolvers Max, congratulations! One question; did you ever consider cylinder pin latch #5 style on your custom revolvers?

DSC00021.JPG

This one is done by A. Harton, but I believe other custom smiths could do the same.

Years back, a good friend introduced me to shooting, and among a number of revolvers, he also had Grover #5 Improved and old 44 Magnum Flattop. I relay liked that cylinder pin swing latch on #5, after experienced pin "walk" on Flattop.

MaxP

Buckeye
Thank you! No, never considered it as I have never been a fan of the latch from an aesthetic point of view.

The #5 latch is a neat and historical feature that does really secure the base pin and while I know the latch has been executed by a number of gunsmiths there is definitely a difference in the level of finish and detail exhibited between the various gunsmiths. The latch is intricate enough it justifies aesthetic work just as much as it does functionability.

MaxP

Buckeye
Robb Barnes said:
The #5 latch is a neat and historical feature that does really secure the base pin and while I Judy as mhave the latch executed by s njmbet of gunsmiths there is definitely a difference in the level of finish and detail exhibited between the various gunsmiths. The latch is intricate enough it justifies aesthetic work just as much as it does functionability.

I am well aware of the historical significance of the latch, but it is just not for me.

Max,I know you are as familiar with the history of the #5 latch as any of us are. I was simply talking about the different level of finish and machining artistry the various gunsmith exhibit in their execution of the feature.

Robb

CraigC

Hawkeye
I think the Keith #5 is probably one of the most important firearms ever built. A Holy Grail of sorts with significant historical significance, of which there can only be one. One that has inspired countless more custom sixguns. I like the way the #5 latch looks and functions and fully appreciate the artistry in steel involved in its creation. Same for the #5 grip. However, I feel both are extravagances I'll probably never pony up for. I think the #5 grip worked great for The Grand Old Man but he was of short stature and had small hands. To me, the Ruger Bisley works best on a Ruger and the Colt Bisley and 1860 Army work best on a Colt-type sixgun. All have ample room for the pinky. I've been tossing around ideas for at least two Colt-based custom guns and wouldn't even consider a #5 grip for either, opting rather for the original Bisley and 1860 Army grip configurations.

I will, however, always appreciate seeing the #5 conversions that other folks have built. Particularly the Bowen recreation which I believe is one of the finest revolvers extant. :)

mart

Bearcat
Here's a few Bisleys.

From back to front, 357 Mag, 357 Maximum, 41 Mag, 44 Special, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, 480.

IMG_1114-L.jpg

I don't know who did the work on the 357 Maximum but I love the grips. It has a locking base pin, free spin pawl and has had an action job prior to my ownership.

IMG_1118-L.jpg

IMG_1121-L.jpg

This is a long cylinder 44 magnum with Sambar stags and octagon barrel by John Gallagher.

This is an old model 44 lat top that has been converted to bisley by David Clements and coloring by Turnbull. David makes the specialized hammers and triggers for this type of conversion.