GP100 Wiley Clapp ammo problem-UPDATE

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Cossack17

Bearcat
Hello,
I hope that it is an ammo issue:
Just took my new GP100 Talo to the range, but returned home a bit disappointed.
Cleaned brand new revolver at home, but never tried to load it. After I loaded first six rounds of factory . 357 Speer Gold Dot 125 grains factory ammo, I could not close a cylinder. Rounds do not go all the way to the cylinder. Did not want to use any force. Loaded Black Hills 38 special +P without any problems, but they are shorter....
Did not shoot a revolver and will be calling Ruger tomorrow.
I never had any issues with loading/shooting of the same Speer Gold dots in my 4" Ruger GP100 but I do not have it any longer.
I do not have different .357 ammo to try and I even not sure that I can get .357 ammo in my LGS. Hate to order more on line to find out that it does not fit too.
Ruger GP100 Talo is NIB, no burned powder rings or any dirt under the extractor.
Any thoughts/suggestions?
I was looking for this revolver for three month and this is kind of disappointment...

Boge

Single-Sixer
Before I called Ruger I would try some other .357 ammo. The ammo cos. as of late are on 24/7 operation & QC has dropped. Find a friend who has some .357 ammo or just buy a box of 20. You'll use them one way or another in the future. After all, if it is the ammo you wouldn't want Ruger to mark "knucklehead" next to your serial # in the Cust. Serv. database. :lol: :wink:

brushunter

Single-Sixer
If your able , try measuring the cylinder ... from the front , through the chamber to the front edge of the throat. A vernier caliper should have a depth tool on it. Using this diminsion , you should be able determine if the cylinder is machined incorrectly. Who knows , you may have a .38 cylinder on your .357. Sorry , I don't know what the correct diminsions are ...you can probably find that information on line somewhere. Measuring a loaded round may work ? Good luck

regards , brushunter

Cossack17

Bearcat
Just visited my LGS and bought box of 50 rounds Winchester SuperX 158 grains JHP for $60.00. Loads and ejects without any problems.
Will call manufacturer of my original ammo tomorrow and will try to get it replaced.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Cossack17 said:
Just visited my LGS and bought box of 50 rounds Winchester SuperX 158 grains JHP for $60.00. Loads and ejects without any problems.
Will call manufacturer of my original ammo tomorrow and will try to get it replaced.
Well that's disappointing for Speer ammo to do that. I would have expected better. I have on occasion got a bad round (usually cheap ammo) that won't chamber but was it the whole box? :shock: :shock:

Cossack17

Bearcat
Called ammo manufacturer, they checked the lot number and stated that they never received a single complain about this lot. They asked me to call Ruger. So, more fun tomorrow....

If you cant find any other ammo, I would try your ammo in a different 357 if you have one. If not, maybe a friend has one, or even take it to your LGS and see if it fits in one of theirs. Then you could either blame or eliminate the ammo.

Cossack17

Bearcat
Called Ruger and they emailed me a UPS shipping label.
Just to be sure, I visited LGS Saturday morning and owner loaded Speer GoldDots into one Taurus and another Ruger revolvers without any problems. My new GP100 Talo is on it's way to the Ruger's service center.
Will keep you posted.
It's very nice from Ruger, that they covered return mailing. Second day air is not cheap nowdays.

Assuming it is not an ammo fault, As an owner of significant # of shares of Ruger stock, I find it disappointing that Ruger finds the extra time and money to fix the issues rather than make it right the first time. I'm a mfg operations guys. Statistically there is zero chance that this is a random defect. On the plus side Ruger always makes it right, their customer service is one of the best and maybe the best. Just try to get the same level of service from S&W, especially on a worn or older gun

Kyhunt

Single-Sixer
Cossack17 said:

I'm confused. If this loads correctly why are you sending the gun to Ruger. Can you post pictures of both ammos next to each other? Why would the Winchester load ok but not speers if its a problem with the gun?

Cossack17

Bearcat
Kyhunt said:
Cossack17 said:

I'm confused. If this loads correctly why are you sending the gun to Ruger. Can you post pictures of both ammos next to each other? Why would the Winchester load ok but not speers if its a problem with the gun?

I am sending it to Ruger because GP100 should take any quality factory .357 MAG ammo. I was able to load 125gr Speer GoldDot into 2 other Rugers and Taurus revolvers, but not into my GP100 Talo. It is not an issue with the ammo, but with the chamber tolerances.

Cossack17

Bearcat
I am very disappointed... Revolver came back from Ruger and finish is scratched in five places on the right side of the firearm and front of the barrel.
Paperwork has very short statement: "Cylinder repaired", no signature of armorer, no apology for bad quality control and now I even cannot sell it as NIB. Yes, I can load Speer GoldDots now.
What really gets me is the attitude towards the CUSTOMER. I paid good money for what is supposed to be a "Special Edition" firearm.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Once again I am disappointed. This time with Ruger customer service. In the scheme of things probably not a major but it would have been nice if they had been more careful and given a better explanation of what they did. :shock:

Cossack17

Bearcat
Jimbo357mag said:
Once again I am disappointed. This time with Ruger customer service. In the scheme of things probably not a major but it would have been nice if they had been more careful and given a better explanation of what they did. :shock:
My biggest problem is that Ruger employes somebody who does not take a pride in his job and treats somebody's property (actually a guy's who just bought a Ruger product and helped Ruger to pay his wages) like it is a piece of junk. I sent a NIB revolver for service and somebody was throwing it around, so it comes back to me as a used gun.
I do have a Glock armorer's mat, sets of armorers screwdrivers, torx driver and my handguns, even 20 years old, do not have a sign of abuse... holster wear, of course, but not a neglect or abuse.
If Ruger returned me the revolver in the original condition, the case would be over. I can understand that machinist made a mistake and chambers tolerances were a little bit off, but damaging of the finish was totally preventable. That shows me a lack of working ethics and it seriously undermines my trust as a customer.

WESHOOT2

Hunter
While I appreciate (yet do not understand) appearance issues, I judge the success of service or repair by its shooting.

To me, reliable accurate function is my criteria. I hope your serviced Ruger excells in these.

grand_cru

Bearcat
WESHOOT2 said:
While I appreciate (yet do not understand) appearance issues, I judge the success of service or repair by its shooting.

I don't see it that way. Not only should they have brought the cylinder chambers up to spec, they should have returned the revolver in the same shape as they received it. Short of that, the least they could have done was to attach a note apologizing for their lackluster performance and ask how they could make the situation right. I retired recently after thirty years in the premium wine retail trade so I think I know a little bit about customer service. In the long run it's better to lose a little money on one transaction than to lose a customer for good. And believe me--customers never forget lousy customer service! You work so hard to develop a customer following but if you screw-up as in this example you'll never be able to keep a customer for long.