CLC American Holley grips, update.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

J Miller

Blackhawk
Back in December of 2006 I received a set of slightly yellowed American Holley grips from CLC Custom Grips.

The sunlight actually made them look whiter than they really were.

The way Cary Chapman makes them I was wondering if they would ever "age". Well, up until two years ago they pretty much looked like this:

The last time I went shooting was April of '11. I cleaned the Blackhawk and put it away. Recently I decided to get them out and check them. I was amazed at what I found. Not sure what has caused this, but the grips have aged nicely:

I really like them like this. They look like they match the pistol now.

Joe

Bkat

Blackhawk
Will all American Holley age like this, or does it depend on the particular tree it came from? Those are gorgeous.

Bkat

Holy holly!

I wasn't aware this happened. My set is not currently on a gun, but wrapped up and safely stashed away for special occasions. I just pulled them out, unwrapped them, and . . . they are nicely "aging" as seen above. Absolutely wonderful. I was hoping this might happen.

Cary, how much will they change over time, or does it depend on the individual wood as Bkat asks?

:) :) :)

caryc

Hawkeye
Ale-8(1) said:
Holy holly!

I wasn't aware this happened. My set is not currently on a gun, but wrapped up and safely stashed away for special occasions. I just pulled them out, unwrapped them, and . . . they are nicely "aging" as seen above. Absolutely wonderful. I was hoping this might happen.

Cary, how much will they change over time, or does it depend on the individual wood as Bkat asks?

:) :) :)

Your question is a legitimate one, but one that I can't answer. Since it is oxidation that causes them to darken. I would guess that it all depends on how much UV light they are exposed to. When I make grips I sell them so I don't get to sit around and see them age.

The last time I purchased holly I purchased a lot of it around 5 or 6 years ago. This wood sits in my shop but is not subject to any direct sunlight from any windows and it doesn't appear to be darkening any just sitting there.

Then you might ask, is it going to age sitting in a gun safe? The answer is, I don't know. I suppose it depends on what it was subjected to before it went into the safe.

I can give you an example though. When I purchased fresh milled purple heart, (I mean fresh cut and kiln dried) I set it out in the direct sunlight for a couple days and it actually developed a more vibrant brighter purple color. I also know that purple heart will darken with age. It will eventually get to an almost brownish color.

Let's see...what was the question again? I guess I've probably left you scratcthin' your head as I'm doin'.

J Miller

Blackhawk
Other than when I've been at a couple outdoor ranges, the set of grips on my Ruger never see daylight. Only indoor lighting and the inside of my storage.

No mater the why, I really do like them aging like this.

Joe

I've had my set for a little over five years now (man, time sure does fly), and they have NEVER been exposed to direct sunlight as long as I've had them.

Upon reflection, this doesn't seem right. They should be seen and appreciated by those so inclined. Next time "the guys" are here to shoot in the back yard, I'm gonna put those panels on some variety of Old Model and show 'em off. They're simply too nice to not share with friends.

;)

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
I also have a pair of these on my .45,....will have to dig it out of the safe & have a look at it.
Got one of those golden rods to keep the moisture out. Do you have one in your safe Joe? Could this cause them to beautify? Just a thought....

J Miller

Blackhawk
Ruffbird,

No I don't. And my guns all stay in the foam lined gun cases. Yes I know they will rust away in a day or two cos the foam attracts and absorbs water. NOT.

Anyway, I don't baby my guns, but unless they are being handled, not much recently, or out being shot, even less, they are stored away safe from bumps and bangs. Kept wiped down and there's no problem.

Joe

gak

Buckeye
Based on mine, I'd say not all necessarily alike, perhaps particular cut of wood or some my need more UV than others. My two - about two years old each - have only yellowed modestly. They too have not seen a lot of UV.
The top photo shows them yellow'd slightly more than I think they are in most light - but closer to where I hope they'll be if not more like Joe's
_Xutf-8XBXSU1HMDEyNzAuanBnX_.jpg

_Xutf-8XBXSU1HMDA1MjcuanBnX_.jpg

The bottom shot is perhaps more representative of both in most light. They're wonderful grips as they are, and have darkened slightly, but I am also hopeful they'll "age" even more before too long - Joe, yours look great! Regardless, they all do a good "ivory"!
Edit - I realized I didn't say, these fine grips are courtesy Carl "Private" Schultz.

J Miller

Blackhawk
GAK,

Your grips looked like mine did up to about two years ago. Since then they seem to have aged to a bit more yellow and amber color.
I really wish I could get a better picture.

Joe

gak

Buckeye
Joe - to be "fair" mine are old pics - maybe 12-18 months, but not far off from how they look now. Maybe power of suggestion but they seem a little darker now--we're talking minutes and not degrees. Your pics are fine - but more always welcomed!

RUFFBIRD

Blackhawk
Okey Joe,...I dug em out & took these photos & I to believe you are right about them turning color a little. They now seem more of a mustard yellow to me. I like them a lot on my blue .45

This is as about as natural a photo as I can get.....

Cary as always, you are a craftsmen & artist! Thankyou.... :)

Ethang

Blackhawk
The closer in color to the aged ivory grips on John Waynes pistol the better I like them. Your grips are looking great.

caryc

Hawkeye
Ethang said:
The closer in color to the aged ivory grips on John Waynes pistol the better I like them. Your grips are looking great.

John Wayne's grips were not ivory. Those grips were made of catalin, an early form of plastic. Sorry to burst your bubble.

Latest posts