single six .32 H&R

Help Support Ruger Forum:

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
Ran across a 4 5/8 single six in .32h&r at a shop today. I never thought much about .32 until now but seeing as it is a good deal I'm thinking of picking it up.
Anyone have thoughts on the .32 h&r?
Also I am sure it has been discussed before but what is the process and cost to convert the .32hr to .327 fed mag?

dougader

Hunter
The SS just needs a longer cylinder made for the 327 FM in a Single Six. Bowen Classic Arms sells these and uses them in their conversions to 327 FM.

Scroll down the page a bit here to see some offerings:

http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/workshop.html

But the little 32 H&R mag is a nice round on it's own. In a Ruger it can be run soft to sizzlin'. Brian Pearce wrote an article for Handloader mag awhile back with some nice loads for both 32 HRM and 327 FM.

I like a cast 94 grain rnfp with 3.5 - 4.2 grains of WW231 for plinking and informal target shooting. A Hornady 100 grain XTP -HP with 11.8 grains of W296 (MAX) and CCI 550 magnum small pistol primers is a zippy load even from my 3.5" Single Six.

Ethang

Blackhawk
Buy it. 327 or not it is one heck of a fun little gun and about a perfect trail pistol if you don't have to worry about bears and other people eating things.

willk

Blackhawk
You really have to handload to get to use it. But if you do load your own, it is one heck of a fine little firearm. Great round and a lot of fun when using a Single Six.

No need to convert it to .327, cause you are going to have to load for both and a properly loaded H&R can do some pretty serious shooting in its own right.

varminter22

Single-Sixer
I never miss an opportunity to praise the .32 H&R Mag - which I think is the most underappreciated cartridge in America.

Its accurate, fun to shoot, and has energy similar to a .38 Spec (enough for critters up to and including coyotes.)

gak

Buckeye
Good "factory" loads do exist. The current ammo shortages aside, http://www.georgia-arms.com is a great and warm round (100 gr JHP and RNFP) at not unreasonable prices, and while pricey, recent (year or two) Buffalo Bore and Corbon have introduced some very warm loads. I'll be in the minority and say it's a heckuva little popper even in the so-called "anemic" traditional factory loadings. Loads of fun - and effective. I would not like to stand in front of them and neither would the likes of jackrabbits and yotes. Nothing like a .32 H&R, whether out of a Single Six or Smith J frame Airweight, both great platforms for it.

I have also considered the .327 conversion - for one of my Vaqueritos. It is a pricier conversion than most, requiring the aforementioned new, longer cylinder (but thankfully at least no cylnder window mods to accommodate, just B/C gap "adjustment") and refinishing/new caliber roll mark etc if taking it that far which most do (or at least want to). But I agree, the .32 H&R is a great round all by itself. I don't think a more enjoyable cartridge/gun combo exists. Long live the .32 Mag!

EDIT.
After some thought, I'm not so sure my above statement about the .327 being a "pricier" conversion is accurate. Since it's still a .32, the barrel can remain unchanged except foe the b/c aspect. Virtually all significant caliber--versus cartridge--conversions of course involve both cylinder and barrel work or replacement.
I should have said that, "since a new cylinder is involved, it's not simply a rechamber job." But not many are anyway I guess!

flatgate

Hawkeye
357573210.jpg

I have a couple shooters. I've had nothing but "smiles" with them! Of course, I've tinkered with 'em a bit.

flatgate

sheep.dog

Single-Sixer
Rugerguy, what did you do? Let me get this straight, it used to be a .32 h&r? What is it now?

gak

Buckeye
sheep.dog said:
Rugerguy, what did you do? Let me get this straight, it used to be a .32 h&r? What is it now?

Got me wondering too, especially with that barrel - unless a custom new barrel not needed but wanted for the .327 conversion, (or .38 Sp, .41 Colt) etc?

Hondo44

Hawkeye
WIL TERRY said:
BUY'N'LARGE it cannot be converted as the cylinder is too short.
I have to take exception with you there. I've done three now and they all function exceptionally well.

The first was a two step conversion; 1st from 22 to 32 H&R Mag, then to 327 Mag'
Here's the 1959 vintage 22 Mag 'only' Single Six conversion to 32 H&R Mag with a factory barrel and cyl , cost $180. Reamer, $80. Gun, $200 some years ago less sale of 22 Mag cyl $75. Total cost, $385.
It has since been sighted in and the front sight shaped to a quick draw ramp, serrated with a checkering file, and blued.
medium800.jpg

Had to enlarge the loading gate chute slightly for the larger cases.
medium800.jpg

In these two shots, you can see where I plugged and re-drilled to lower the firing pin and recoil plate for center fire.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

I have since reamed the chamber shoulder deeper to shoot .327 Fed Mags.
All conversions I've seen used a custom longer cylinder. Bowen and Dave Clements do this routinely and one of them even did a 5 shot .327 Ruger Bearcat! But Federal and American Eagle factory loaded cartridges are only .003 to.004" longer than the factory single six cylinder.

I received my Clymer chamber reamer from Brownells. They didn't have a 32 Fed Mag reamer and a call to Clymer verified that they didn't make one. But all I needed to do was extend the 32 H&R chambers .122" to Fed Mag length. So I ordered the 32 H&R reamer, ground the stop back .122" and reamed my chambers.

When I shot it, even though the Fed mags in the 85 Gr HP Hyrda shock and American Eagle 100 gr JSP loads were longer than the chambers, the .005" or so breechface/case rim gap was sufficient for the loaded cyl to rotate w/o interference.

I may not be able to shoot longer bullets unless I seat them lower, but so far my handloads all work just fine.

2nd conversion, a NM 32 H&R to 327. Same results as above.
orig.jpg

3rd conversion was a 32 Stainless Vaquerito on Friday with the same success. Literally a 10 minute job.
Total cost for 2nd and 3rd, $0 since I already had the reamer.

WIL TERRY

Buckeye
Hondo44 said:
WIL TERRY said:
BUY'N'LARGE it cannot be converted as the cylinder is too short.
I have to take exception with you there. I've done three now and they all function exceptionally well.

The first was a two step conversion; 1st from 22 to 32 H&R Mag, then to 327 Mag'
Here's the 1959 vintage 22 Mag 'only' Single Six conversion to 32 H&R Mag with a factory barrel and cyl , cost $180. Reamer, $80. Gun, $200 some years ago less sale of 22 Mag cyl $75. Total cost, $385.
It has since been sighted in and the front sight shaped to a quick draw ramp, serrated with a checkering file, and blued.
medium800.jpg

Had to enlarge the loading gate chute slightly for the larger cases.
medium800.jpg

In these two shots, you can see where I plugged and re-drilled to lower the firing pin and recoil plate for center fire.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

I have since reamed the chamber shoulder deeper to shoot .327 Fed Mags.
All conversions I've seen used a custom longer cylinder. Bowen and Dave Clements do this routinely and one of them even did a 5 shot .327 Ruger Bearcat! But Federal and American Eagle factory loaded cartridges are only .003 to.004" longer than the factory single six cylinder.

I received my Clymer chamber reamer from Brownells. They didn't have a 32 Fed Mag reamer and a call to Clymer verified that they didn't make one. But all I needed to do was extend the 32 H&R chambers .122" to Fed Mag length. So I ordered the 32 H&R reamer, ground the stop back .122" and reamed my chambers.

When I shot it, even though the Fed mags in the 85 Gr HP Hyrda shock and American Eagle 100 gr JSP loads were longer than the chambers, the .005" or so breechface/case rim gap was sufficient for the loaded cyl to rotate w/o interference.

I may not be able to shoot longer bullets unless I seat them lower, but so far my handloads all work just fine.

2nd conversion, a NM 32 H&R to 327. Same results as above.
orig.jpg

3rd conversion was a 32 Stainless Vaquerito on Friday with the same success. Literally a 10 minute job.
Total cost for 2nd and 3rd, $0 since I already had the reamer.
WELL I'LL BE DARNED, I AM IMPRESSED !!! Learn something new every day if you pay attention, hey?!

So the bullets stick out the front of the chambers, but the arrangement works because of barrel/cylinder gap and headspace allowing the cylinder to rotate?

Cases not completely seated in the chambers at firing . . . ie, not completely chambering on the case rims?

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
I'd love to have a SS chambered in 32mag/.327.

I'm curious why Terry started with a .22 since SS's are available in .32mag?

The fact that a SS can handle .327 mag really shows how overbuilt and tough these little guns are.

Latest posts