RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: single six .32 H&R
PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 pm 
Hunter

peyton wrote:
This is an interesting idea, I only have about 6 32's that I would love to be able to fire 327 out of. Put me on the list to borrow a 327 reamer.

Hi Peyton,

Because of the time the reamer spends in the mail, it will take too long for everyone to rent. So I've decided to request that people send cylinders to me. I'm all set up to ream them and I can do dozens in a day if the reamer is in my possession. Contribution is the same, shipping both ways plus $5 to help replace the reamer when it wears out. It's not a business and I'm not in it to make money, just help out my local friends and friends on the forum.

I've shot 100s of factory .327 FM rounds thru my three .32s since I reamed the cyls to .327 with no ill effect, there are no pressure signs on the primers and the cases usually fall from the chambers (it also didn't hurt that my new sharp reamer leaves a smoother surface in the chamber), but I want to make everyone aware of the pressures as Dougader noted above.
The .32 H&R Mag is rated at 21,000 cup and taking into account that Ruger designs for a 100% overbuild safety margin, the Ruger single six .32 cyl is good for at least 42,000 cup: the .327 Fed Mag is rated at 45,000 cup. Although I also handload the cartridge, I do not "hotrod" it or exceed factory pressures.
Of course in the .32 Mag/.32-20 convertible Blackhawk 'Buckeye' cylinders I ream to .327 Fed Mag, this is a non-issue.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:42 pm 
Hunter

Please send Hondo a little more than he asks when applying for this service. His help to all in other ways more than requires our respect. I'll let him answer for himself but now I see he might help with a similar operation for other hybrids. Up to him it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 pm 
Hunter

Very kind words GasGuzzler, but no extra necessary. It's all for the fun and help, not profit.

Thank you all the best my friend,

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:02 am 
Single-Sixer

I too was thinking $5 was a little low so will send some goodies from VT along with my cylinder and it does happen to be sugaring season here.

"I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind.....Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks" - Thomas Jefferson, in a letter to his 15 year old nephew, 1785

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:12 am 
Hunter

A comment, nothing more. Have a stainless Birdshead .32, and a standard 6.5" blued from the mid '80's. Working with some of Brian Pierce's loads with AA9 (from memory around 10 grains, which is the 10% lower charge), and a 115 g cast slug in starline .32 H&R brass. A very accurate load, but the blued one was peening the base pin (a soft one?). When funds allow, plan to get the Belt Mountain replacement for the blued one, and also the cross pin.

As 2Dogs is fond of saying, they are the most fun you can have with you clothes on, or at least up there on the list...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 am 
Buckeye

M'BOGO wrote:

As 2Dogs is fond of saying, they are the most fun you can have with you clothes on, or at least up there on the list...

+1 Truer words never spoken--at least in the firearms world - I'm thinking blasting down the Big Sur stretch of the PCH in a capable sports car be another one competing for the title! I've said many times - ..32 H&R (even in often derided milder factory loads) and Single Six perhaps the best/most natural mating of cartridge and gun, like they were designed/made/destined for one another. What I've also said of the .44 Special.and midframes. What the SAA "would have been intro'd as, had they only known"...especially had smokeless been around.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:21 am 
Bearcat

These .32 Single Sixes have totally taken over my reloading and shooting life. I started with a birdshead in blue in 2005 and have since added a 6.5" New Model and most recently a 9.5." It is just the most perfect mating of cartridge to firearm I have found for me.

Andrew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:31 am 
Single-Sixer

Usually have one in the pickup or on my hip when I'm 'out and about'. Handy little shooter 'as is'.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:38 am 
Buckeye

Just something special about the .32 and the guns that shoot them. Except for a family .22 and .38, my first gun was a brand new .32 H&R Ruger - a 5.5" adj sight as one of the first out of the chute in 1984. The first (and second and...) time I shot it I had grin from ear to ear...and this was with factory loads at the time. I had not owned but shot revolvers everything from .22 to .38/.357 and .44 Mag - a lot - but nothing as viscerally pleasing as the .32 combo. Still.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:33 am 
Buckeye

Hondo44 !!! It's a shame that you are not working for Ruger. If you were we would get some really neat stuff from the factory!!! :P You have some great ideas.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:23 pm 
Blackhawk

M'BOGO wrote:
A comment, nothing more. Have a stainless Birdshead .32, and a standard 6.5" blued from the mid '80's. Working with some of Brian Pierce's loads with AA9 (from memory around 10 grains, which is the 10% lower charge), and a 115 g cast slug in starline .32 H&R brass. A very accurate load, but the blued one was peening the base pin (a soft one?). When funds allow, plan to get the Belt Mountain replacement for the blued one, and also the cross pin.

Not to Hijack but if your talking about the 115's you gave me to sample and the base pin peening I had the same issue. I was not running them hot, just my normal 4 grains of Unique but after 12 of them my basepin was difficult to remove where it was not before. Is this what yours did?

And back to the 32 thread, clothes on or off these 32's are really fun...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:03 pm 
Hunter

Ethang wrote:
Not to Hijack but if your talking about the 115's you gave me to sample and the base pin peening I had the same issue. I was not running them hot, just my normal 4 grains of Unique but after 12 of them my basepin was difficult to remove where it was not before. Is this what yours did?

And back to the 32 thread, clothes on or off these 32's are really fun...

Yes, but the load was much hotter than 4 grains of Unique, my Unique load in that range was fine. Recall about 7 grains of 2400 shot nice, without any peening. Just wondering if the base pins weren't hardened?

Yes they are.

I've been thinking, it would be great if Lee made their 311-100-2R mold as a .314 flat point (I know, buy the RCBS 98 SWC, BROKE and cheap). Considering buying one, lapping it out. Then drilling the nose out and fitting flat point pins. Maybe a bunch of people petitioning them would get them to do this?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:19 pm 
Hunter

Street,
Thanks kindly. If I just had some real talent and machinery, I have lots of ideas, but most are way over my head. Since retried, I have lots of time to fondle my guns and think. Maybe Ruger needs a Marketing Consultant.....

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 pm 
Hunter

Hondo has been more than most helpful to me. Kudos. Back to the topic.....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:43 pm 
Hunter

gak wrote:
Just something special about the .32 and the guns that shoot them. Except for a family .22 and .38, my first gun was a brand new .32 H&R Ruger - a 5.5" adj sight as one of the first out of the chute in 1984. The first (and second and...) time I shot it I had grin from ear to ear...and this was with factory loads at the time. I had not owned but shot revolvers everything from .22 to .38/.357 and .44 Mag - a lot - but nothing as viscerally pleasing as the .32 combo. Still.

You are so right! The first .32 Ruger I ever saw in 1984 went home with me. My 1st gun was given to me by my grandfather, a little S&W .32 S&W Long Hand Ejector on the small 'I' frame, that he bought new in 1914.

I shoot a lot of .32s and have a 1/2 dozen more Smiths. Up until fairly recently when Smith made a few stainless target models in 327, they made very few with target sights. Mostley before the war and only 296 in 1957. So I needed a target model to match my S&W .22/32 Kit Gun. Had to make this one from a 1966 Model 30-1 J frame fixed sight model. Target sights and trigger from a Kit Gun, center fire target hammer from a 38 Chiefs Special. It's my favorite Smith:

But I really like SAs the most and the ruger 32s are at the top of the list.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next