New SP101 22lr and Wolff Springs?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Karebru

Bearcat
Forgive me if this has been addressed. I didn't find anything in a search.

I really like my new SP101 8-shot, 22lr. A complete take-down and thorough cleaning really helped with the crunchy trigger, and everyone says it will improve with use. I would like to try a lighter hammer spring, but Wolff has this posted on their website...
Important Note:
Due to changes in this gun by the manufacturer, the spring below will not function in SP101 .22 caliber rimfire models manufactured during and after 2011.
I notice the same note on a few distributer's sites with the, "will not function" changed to "may not function". Then something about the spring length being different on the new model guns.
Has anyone tried it?
Thanks!

paochow

Bearcat
I have the Wolff trigger spring in my SP101 .22 4.2", but not the hammer spring. I used the 12# hammer spring but would get occasional light strikes, typically one for every few cylinders. I put in a 14# stock .357 SP101 spring and it has gone bang every time since.

Geoff Timm

Single-Sixer
Rimfire ammo MUST have a powerful spring on the hammer. No getting around it. One gunsmith spend hours trying to lighten the pull on a Taurus 84 and still have reliable ignition. He finally put the original spring back in and it worked fine, the trigger pull was better, but a lighter spring just could not fire a whole cylinder reliably.
Geoff
Who notes this was at the Stonewall Range south of Cleveland years ago. Sigh.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
I had Clements do a trigger job on mine right after I bought it. He did a great job and supplied a pack of Wolff springs. Tried all three and the only time it would go bang every time was with the heaviest spring.

Jeffro57

Bearcat
I put the newest wolff kit in my new SP101 .22, and it functions perfectly with five different types of ammo, so far! The kit has a 14lb. hammer spring, and an 8lb. rebound spring. I followed the YouTube video that shows exactly how to do it, so it went pretty easy. My single action is now 4lb 4oz, and double action dropped down to a "workable" 11lb 3oz.

bittereinder

Bearcat
I recently tried the new Wolff pack designed for the post-2011 SP101 22s. I replaced the trigger spring and first tried the lightest hammer spring (13# vs 16# factory). I found that not a single round fired in DA (3 different attempts, i.e., 3 sets of 8 rounds), but about 100 rounds fired in SA no problem. So at the moment I have an oddly modern looking SA revolver... I think I'll go right up to the 15# and see how that goes. 14# would presumably be too close to the edge. It's not that a DA failure is a huge problem for me, here in Canada I can only legally use the thing at the range, but the principle of it bothers me.

(I haven't had had a chance to swap out to the 15# yet and then I need to get to the range... How I would love right now to live in rural USA and be able to walk out back and plink with a 22 revolver! But no, that's considered too dangerous in Canada. I can fire a 30-06, for example, pretty much anywhere it's safe to do so on government land, but discharging a handgun anywhere but the range ist verboten!)

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if anyone has any experience to share on the 14# vs 15# from the Wolff kit for the 22. BTW I was using a pack of Winchester 333. I had other 22 ammo with me but didn't get around to trying those. One ammo type failing is enough for me to want to try another hammer spring regardless.

foytfoyt

Bearcat
bittereinder said:
... How I would love right now to live in rural USA and be able to walk out back and plink with a 22 revolver! But no, that's considered too dangerous in Canada. I can fire a 30-06, for example, pretty much anywhere it's safe to do so on government land, but discharging a handgun anywhere but the range ist verboten!)

That's sad. I thought Canada was better than the liberal parts of the US. At least its pretty up there.

I can't even remember which spring out of the Shooter's Pack worked best in my SP101 22LR. I know I went back up, so it was not the lightest.

I doesn't matter, because it's going to be different for each person's particular gun. I believe that's literally why the Shooter's Pack exists, rather than just one lighter spring.

bittereinder

Bearcat
foytfoyt: thank you, that makes sense. I was wondering why there were three. I guess it's pretty sensitive to minor variations in the various parts that transmit the force from the hammer spring to the firing pin.

JosWerring

Bearcat
I installed the newest Wolff springs in my SP-101 .22 cal. The 14# hammerspring and the 8# triggerspring and it's a much better revolver!

Ruger single six .22
Ruger SA .45 LC
Ruger SP-101 .22

bittereinder

Bearcat
JosWerring: thanks. I put in the 15# hammerspring but haven't had a chance to fire it yet. Still feels pretty good dry firing in DA, much better than before the kit. I guess the trigger spring has a larger effect on how the DA pull feels. Maybe I can later go down to the 14 with my gun but I'll want to try different ammo with it for sure. Before I do that I want to make sure that it works well with the 15 at least.

salover

Single-Sixer
Bought a Ruger SP101 in 357 Mag for my wife for Mothers Day and ordered the Wolff spring pak tonight. Right now the trigger pull is fairly stiff. A set of springs and a little smoothing up should do the trick. Anybody having problems with misfires on the 357's with the lighter springs?

bittereinder

Bearcat
The 15# hammerspring seems to work fine with 22LR, firing every time in DA. However, this past weekend I was trying out 22 shorts with it, and maybe 2-3 times (in maybe 50-75 fired DA) it didn't fire the shorts. Now, it's really unlikely my life could ever depend on me doing quick shots with 22 short, but the principle still kind of bothers me. I'm going to try it out some more and see how it goes.

Anyone else have experience where shorts seem harder to fire than 22LR?