Remove internal lock

Help Support Ruger Forum:

boomer47

Bearcat
Is there any way to remove the internal lock on a .22 cal. new model single six in order to make hogue wraparounds fit?

BlkHawk73

Hunter
It would require making an adapter to locate the hammer strut/spring assembly and possibly a new assembly. Been done. Not one for rubber grips so not sure, but easier to make the grips fit by modifying them?

boomer47

Bearcat
Nope, the lock will not let the stirrup pin ride high enough to get the stirrup on.
And I can't see how to modify the grips and still have anything holding the on.
(no cross screw like the original grips)

boomer47

Bearcat
Too much trouble to replace the frame.
I'll just wait awhile. Surely Pachmayr or Hogue will catch up with grips for these frames.
I've got a set of wood grips on order with Ruger and hope they will fit.
With all the confusion about the different frames Ruger may not even send the right ones.
By the way, the reason I ordered the Hogues is that several sites selling them state that they fit the New Model Single Six.

caryc

Hawkeye
boomer47 said:
I'll just wait awhile. Surely Pachmayr or Hogue will catch up with grips for these frames.
With all the confusion about the different frames Ruger may not even send the right ones.
By the way, the reason I ordered the Hogues is that several sites selling them state that they fit the New Model Single Six.

The trouble with that statement is that a lot more Single Sixes were made without the lock than with it. The Hogues will fit the ones without the lock.

The only confusion concerning the locks is that the New XR3 grip frame is only .437" in width and the locks are .480" in width, so flat backed grips will not fit on that frame without a recess in the backs for the lock.

The XR3-RED profile grip frame on the Single Six is still .500" in width which makes it wider than the locks so there is no problem with any flat backed grips fitting on the frame. I'm sure Ruger will send you the correct grips.

BlkHawk73

Hunter
boomer47 said:

Buy a grip frame and hammer strut/spring assembly and in 10 minutes it's all changed over. Not exactly too much trouble, especially if the end result is what you want.

boomer47

Bearcat
I looked over Brownell's site and it looks like a new frame,even if they were in stock, would be over $100.00.
I'll just wait Ruger out for the wood grips.
How in the world can I tell exactly which frame I have?
My pistol is a New Model Single Six Convertable .22LR/.22Mag.
Serial # 268-59--- and the only thing stamped in the frame is a 3 with a Z scratched into the left side of the backstrap flat under the grips.
I have Hogue or Pachmayr rubber grips on almost every sidearm I own and have never run into such a problem trying to find grips to fit.

caryc

Hawkeye
Other forum members are probably getting bored with this since I've posted it so many times. But since the question keeps getting asked, I'll do it again.

Ruger has used only three basic profile plow handle grips since they started in business. You can see them in the drawings below. Your Single Six has the XR3-RED grip profile on it. This is the same as the grips for the Blackhawk, Vaquero and Old Army.

The XR3 was the grip frame Ruger started out with. They brought this frame back again in 2005 with the New Vaquero. There are two differences between the new steel XR3 grip frame and the old aluminum one. The old one was .500" in width and the New Steel one is .437" in width. The grip locator pin is in a slightly different place than on the old XR3 so the grips from the new and old will not interchange.

The Super Blackhawk frame is the large one. This frame has the square backed trigger guard on it. The Hunter grip frame and the Super Blackhawk grip frame take the same grips. The only difference is the the Hunter grip frame has the rounded back trigger guard.

Ruger's Single Six used the old XR3 grip frame from 1953 until it was replaced in 1962 with the XR3-RED profile grip frame which is what your Single Six now has on it. Placing one of your grips in a three inch square will tell you which one it is as in the drawings below.

F-gripsquare3.jpg

boomer47

Bearcat
OK, thanks Hawkeye. Sorry to be such a pain in the a--. I had already looked at your post on the grips a few days ago but was still confused about the way Hogue and Pachmayr listed the grips.
My frame is aluminum, measures 0.502,has the same width lock and fits your upper left drawing so I guess it is the XR3-RED.
Now to find grips to fit it.

caryc

Hawkeye
boomer47 said:
OK, thanks Hawkeye. Sorry to be such a pain in the a--. I had already looked at your post on the grips a few days ago but was still confused about the way Hogue and Pachmayr listed the grips.
My frame is aluminum, measures 0.502,has the same width lock and fits your upper left drawing so I guess it is the XR3-RED.
Now to find grips to fit it.

No problem. It used to be simple ordering grips for a Ruger until Ruger brought back that XR3 grip frame. They introduced it on the New Vaquero in 2005. But then they used it on the first .357 50th anniversary Blackhawk. Then they used it on the .44 mag anniversary Blackhawk. Then on the .44 Special Blackhawk. But the difference is that all those Blackhawks are flat top model Blackhawks. The regular Blackhawks still use the XR3-RED aluminum grip frame as does the Single Six.

So, be careful. When ordering grips, anything that fits the regular Blackhawk will fit your Single Six as long as it's not the flat top Blackhawk. Yeah, it's enough to drive one a little goofy. Try being a grip maker with all this crap.

gmartinnc

Blackhawk
boomer47 said:
Don't count on Hogue or Pachmayr making grips for the internal lock frame, because I think Ruger has stopped using that on their guns now. However, if you just want to change grips, the ones made by Altramont Company will fit the internal lock frame.
http://www.altamontco.com/experimental/products/pistol/ruger/

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Before your gun and after your gun the 22 convertibles were made w/o the lock. So you can:

A. sell your gun and buy one w/o the lock.
B. find a used frame & main spring/strut w/o lock by posting a want ad on this forum. It will be a lot less than $100 and is the most common and plentiful grip frame made by Ruger, and a very simple swap.

flatgate

Hawkeye
boomer47 said:
Is there any way to remove the internal lock on a .22 cal. new model single six in order to make hogue wraparounds fit?

My first response is to say "why in the heck would you want to ruin a perfectly good revolver by installing rubber baby buggy bumper grips???" Especially a .22 rimfire...............

132835047.jpg

264767830.jpg

132835046.jpg

I've had most of these over 20 years and enjoy the "original" appeal of the guns. Many of my New Model "shooters" load on the "half cock" and the ejector rods line up with the chambers when the ratchet "clicks", just like the ol' Colts....and the guns have fully functional transfer bars.

OK, OK, I know sometimes folks just can NOT work with the original grips that came on their Single-Six..........

I wish you the best of luck in finding the "perfect grip"!

flatgate

PS Yes, one can certainly eliminate the "lock" parts by 1st. understanding the design and then realizing how to eliminate the feature. I try to maintain a good relationship with Ruger and therefore will NOT supply info on any changes to the "Lock Equipped" grip frames. I won't permit Ruger Forum Members to do the same, either. Take one apart and reassemble it a few dozen times along with doing the same thing with a early designed lockwork. After a while one will "see the light". :D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
In what way don't the Hogue grip fit?

I can't imagine what kind of problem the lock could cause.

The lock is simple to eliminate:

orig.jpg

Even just a flat piece of steel with an oblong hole for the spring strut will work; the spring tension will keep it in place.