RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:46 pm 
Single-Sixer

I spoke with the gunsmith about this. I actually had him thread my Mini 14 barrel at the same time he shortened the Blackhawk. I took the Mini back to him because the front sight was not exactly vertical.

Well, when I came back and explained that there were issues with both my rifle and revolver he was skeptical at first but agreed to take the rifle in and check it out.

Anyway, he called me this weekend and apologized for his mistakes and said that there was no charge to straighten out the front sight on my rifle and that if I wanted, he would install my new revolver sight blade at no cost.

So, this ended well. Its nice dealing with honest people, even when they make a mistake.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:11 pm 
Hunter

Glad there is a happy ending, and he did right by you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:46 am 
Bearcat

CraigC wrote:
Why the hell did he cut the front sight down? Any `smith worth his salt should know that shorter barrels need taller front sights, not shorter. Is the sixgun blued or stainless? If it's blued, the front sight is all one-piece and silver soldered to the barrel and you need to take it back to the gunsmith. Have him cut the old blade off, mill a pocket in the base and fit it with a removable, pinned blade. If the gun is stainless, you can replace the front sight with a factory unit for the shorter barrel.

Excuse me for disintering this thread but I have quite the same problem before buying the wrong Ruger NMBH.

I'm offered by a dealer here in Germany two blued Ruger NMBH 45. One with a 4.62" bbl., the other one with 5.5" bbl.
He send me a lot of pictures taken just for me in intention to buy one the guns.

It's clearly visible from the pictures that the front hight of the longer barreled gun ist higher than that of the shorter barreled one. I wasn't sure about the correlation of barrel length and hight of front sight. But now I am.

Quote from SargeMO

Quote:
I've had a couple of 5 1/2" 45 Blackhawks that shot 4-5 inches high with 325's at 50 yards. I was able to cure those by removing a little material from the underside of the rear sight and relieving the main body so it would lower a little more. I actually prefer that they zero with the elevation screwed down snug. In your shoes I think I'd just build me a new front sight.

But after reading this I'm not sure if to take even the 5.5incher.

But how can I remove some material from the underside of the rear sight without interfering with windage elevation function if this gun should way to high.

And what about not taking 325grainers but the 255-265grainers?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:44 am 
Ruger Guru

I would be careful about trying to remove material under a rear sight blade. Here is a thought that was taught to me by an old mechanic. "Always work on the cheapest & easiest part to replace. That way, when you screw it up, you can fix it easier."
If your friend has a blued 5.5 in barreled blue .45 Ruger, that barrel has already been cut. It was likely a 7-1/2" long barrel. So, if it has a higher front sight, it was likely done correctly. Besides, if it is too tall, a little filing on the top of the front blade can bring it down a bit.

" A fine is a tax for doing wrong,
and a tax is a fine for doing
right! "
NRA Instructor
USPSA shooter
SASS shooter (Outlaw Joe Wales)
NRA Women On Target Instructor
NC Hunter Safety Instructor
Nuisance Wildlife Control
Scuba Instructor
Eagle Scout, BSA "When it mattered!"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:54 am 
Blackhawk

The rear sight blade on the standard Ruger rear sight has sort of a dovetail shape to it, stamped from metal stock, as viewed from the rear as you would be holding the revolver. The newer models have also a "bump" stamped into the surface, presumable to give it more friction and wiggle less. One can, with a good flat file, remove some amount of material from the wide, flat bottom of the blad, but I would say that this would allow a little less than a millimeter or so extra lowering. But, this could bring your point of impact about 4 inches lower at 25 yards. Alternatively (or in combination with a slight amount of removal from rear sight blade), you could file down a little of the top of the sight blade to gain a couple inches and add some epoxy to the top of the front sight. Adding nerely a couple millimeters of epoxy to the front sight could easily get you additional 6 inches or more adjustment, and you can file it off until you achieve the result you like. Then, you can shop for a sight blade of the matching height or have one custom fabricated to be fitted to the revolver.

Usually, the lighter bullets will strike lower than the heavier ones, and with the same bullets, the lighter powder charges will strike lower than the heavier ones, due to the differences in the recoil, time spent in the barrel, and the rocking upward action of the SA revolvers.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:57 am 
Hunter

Like NewportNewsMike said, a drill press is not needed and would make the job more easily messed up IMHO. I have done three of those installations and used a Makita cordless to get er done without any problem.

I agree, make your own from 1/8"flat stock.