Old Army quick-change cylinder latch

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
We should have a complete review with video posted tomorrow night, but this is a dandy system for quickly swapping the cylinder out to load, especially for those with a cartridge conversion cylinder.

221992_403256986404651_339692252_n.jpg

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Erich said:
Thanks, Jeff - is this from Belt Mountain, then? I've been waiting for this for a while. :D

Yes it is. The more I use it, the better I like it.
We finished shooting the video this afternoon, so hopefully, the review will post tonight instead of tomorrow night.
Since we went to 1080p on the video, it takes several hours to upload it.

Jeff

Erich

Single-Sixer
Whooo-hoo!

I emailed Kelye this afternoon after I saw your post, and I've read your review now that I got home from work - I'll look forward to the video when it finishes uploading.

Here's a link for everyone:

http://gunblast.com/BeltMtn-OldArmy.htm

Thanks so much for the heads-up, Jeff - good looking-out!

Jeff Quinn

Single-Sixer
Erich said:
Mine is in the mail, and I heard about it thanks to you, Jeff. Green chile chicken enchiladas are on me if you OR Kelye come trucking through New Mexico.

Whenever I am in New Mexico, I LIVE on green chile burgers!

Erich

Single-Sixer
Well, please let me know when you drive through Albuquerque on the way up there from your lovely home state. :) Here's a photo to tide you over:

photobucket-7011-1333394323576.jpg

Meanwhile, I just installed my new base pin latch and base pin; that couldn't have been easier. They came in two days, cost a reasonable $34.95 each for both the new blued base pin latch and the new blued #5 style (with notch) base pin . . . and I think Kelye only charged me two dollars for shipping.

It took me about two minutes to install, because I'm not the fastest in the land with an allen wrench (included!). The simplicity of the new base pin latch is really remarkable - what a nice system! Secure, but super easy to manipulate. I was actually sort of shocked that everything works so well - this is faster to use (and appears to be more secure) than the system on the cartridge Ruger single actions I've owned.

photobucket-27102-1345850607285.jpg

Quality is Belt Mountain - top notch. (My apologies for the inadequate cell phone pictures.)

photobucket-8699-1345850581337.jpg

I'm going to be shooting this gun a lot more now. :D Which is good, because I think it's the most accurate revolver I own.

photobucket-27101-1345850654207.jpg

photobucket-13183-1345850754480.jpg

Now where's that Trail Boss . . . ? :)

Just curious as to what they do the the stock ones don't????
I always load mine out of the gun and don't tighten the locking screw. Also the loading lever can't come out. I do keep the rammer in my box incase the loading press breaks.
The do look nice.
Jim

1330559475.jpg

1330559477.jpg

1330559479.jpg

Erich

Single-Sixer
Well, for one thing, this is a heck of a lot faster to use. The Belt Mountain pin pretty much shoots in and out of the center hole, whereas the lever is a little jakey. More importantly, unlike the system your photos illustrate (which ultimately relies on the small spring of the loading lever latch to hold the entire machine together during recoil), this Belt Mountain latch/pin locks it down solid. Since my ROA gets used with not-crazy-Ruger-only-but-not-poofy-CAS-target loads (my favorite is an HS-6 loading that develops 1025 fps with a 255-gr LSWC from this gun), I want some strength there to assure me that it will hold together.

But you should certainly use whatever works for you - I just would not be comfortable with your set-up for my loads. :)

Erich said:
Well, for one thing, this is a heck of a lot faster to use. The Belt Mountain pin pretty much shoots in and out of the center hole, whereas the lever is a little jakey. More importantly, unlike the system your photos illustrate (which ultimately relies on the small spring of the loading lever latch to hold the entire machine together during recoil), this Belt Mountain latch/pin locks it down solid. Since my ROA gets used with not-crazy-Ruger-only-but-not-poofy-CAS-target loads (my favorite is an HS-6 loading that develops 1025 fps with a 255-gr LSWC from this gun), I want some strength there to assure me that it will hold together.

But you should certainly use whatever works for you - I just would not be comfortable with your set-up for my loads. :)

So you are useing smokless in a BP GUN?? Interesting!!! I don't think ya can call a case full of Goex 3F in a 45 Colt case and a 200-250 gr. bullet POOFY target load. Could just be what the gun was made for. Yea the ball loads and the short case are lighter POOFY loads. Don't see where or how the stock base pin can come out, But if you say so.
Thanks,
Jim

Erich

Single-Sixer
I'm using it in my ROA with my cartridge cylinder, Jim. And have been for years. And we all know how the BP cylinder was tested during development - which is not at all what I'm advocating.

Anyhow, sorry if you took offense; that was not my intention. My point is (since you posted the question) that this is a stronger set-up and a faster one. Have a great weekend. 8)

Erich said:
I'm using it in my ROA with my cartridge cylinder, Jim. And have been for years. And we all know how the BP cylinder was tested during development - which is not at all what I'm advocating.

Anyhow, sorry if you took offense; that was not my intention. My point is (since you posted the question) that this is a stronger set-up and a faster one. Have a great weekend. 8)

I see said the blind man :wink: Good to know the conversion cylinders are that strong.
Taylor and the Mfg. suggest not going over 850FPS or BP Cowboy loads. Now I don't have to worry about getting a smokeless 45 Colt in mine. Yea the frame is stout fer sure
Thanks,
Jim