American Old West Gunmen/Pistoleer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ndcowboy

Blackhawk
Sounds good. I'm looking forward to info on Kid Curry and the rest of the Wild Bunch.
Not long ago, Butch Cassidy's revolver came up on auction, but it was a No-Sale. Not sure what the reserve was, but that would have been a neat shootin' iron.

BearStopper

Blackhawk
I think every Single Action guy has a little John Wayne in him in spite of the fact that the Hollywood "Old West" bears little resemblance to reality. Heck, if I didn't sort of live in my own little world nowadays, I would go crazy in this backwards arse day and age. I say bring on the few real stories of Old West gunslingers!

dscampbell1286

Bearcat
I would like to add from California Alameda County Sheriff Harry Morse, the man who tracked down Black Bart. As a deputy I patrolled in an automoble the areas he patrolled using a horse and buggy. He was featured on an episode of Wild West Tech.

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
Gibson said:
Miller:
Jim_miller_hanging.jpg

Miller was hung by a lynch mob of approximately 40 people who rushed the jail and took Miller and 3 others. They took the men to a livery stable barn and hung them. In the picture, Miller is the man on the far left.

The other 3 men begged for their lives but Miller didn't. The event took place in Ada, Oklahoma. A town in the south central part of the state not far from the Okla/Tex border.

While in high school I came across a postcard copy of the picture shown here and researched it. The above information is what I remember finding out.

COR

Blackhawk
Orrin Porter Rockwell always interested me... The Mormons Avenging Angel .... He was one of the few that died of old age. Great posts!

eveled

Hawkeye
I was always intrigued with the transitional guys. The ones who were really in the old west but lived into the 20th century and how they adapted. I have heard Bat Masterson became a baseball announcer. If this is true it is amazing. Ed

Ruger Packer

Buckeye
eveled said:
I was always intrigued with the transitional guys. The ones who were really in the old west but lived into the 20th century and how they adapted. I have heard Bat Masterson became a baseball announcer. If this is true it is amazing. Ed

Not suire about the baseball announcer bit. But he did become a sports reporter for a NY newspaper. He especially liked boxing.

Frank James lived into the 1900's. After Jesse was killed Frank gave up the outlaw life. He lived in Oklahoma for a few years, but eventually returned to the family farm in Missouri. IIRC, Frank lived into his 70's and died a natural death.

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
From another forum I frequent
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499369&page=97
Sod Buster has some good entries on history of the plains. Of course some of that history involves the cattle towns and the "legends" that came out of those towns.

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Gibson said:
Miller-Frazier Feud

Here is a quote from an article that I cannot verify but it sounds reasonable: "On the morning of the 14th, Bud was playing cards with friends in a saloon, when Miller pushed open the door and fired with both barrels, practically blowing Frazer's (sic) head from his body. When Bud's distraught sister approached Miller with a gun, he said to her: "I'll give you what your brother got -- I'll shoot you right in the face!"' She then put down the gun and fled. . .

Miller was acquitted when it was considered that TWICE Frazier had assaulted Miller. Once emptying his .44 revolver into Miller and on a second occasion fleeing after firing four more rounds into the still standing Miller. (From what I can glean no one told Frazier about the plate Miller wore.)

George Bud Frazier:
BudFrazer.jpg

Deacon Jim Miller
miller1.jpg

You got me hooked! keep them comming! :D ....................................

SAJohn

Hunter
Gibson, You might go into the motives of the James Brothers. I have family roots that go back to the Civil War in Missouri. Many of those banks were carpetbagger operations trying to take any remaining wealth/property of the Missourians. The Pinkerton's were involved in trying to catch/kill the James gang and were so uncontrolled that they literally got away with murder. Most famously, they bombed the James family home mutilating their mother.

BIGGUY

Bearcat
Thanks for posting these new stories. You mentioned Robbers Roost. I picked up a copy of the book in the link below when it came out as I was in Moab at the time. It takes place a few years after Butch and the others in the early 1900's, but it gives a fascinating look at the area and what it was like. The central character in the book, Bill Tibbetts, had a lot to do with the making of Canyonlands later on too. The motel I stay in is managed by his Grand Daughter. It's a great book that shows how rugged the country there was, how rugged the men who went there had to be, and why it was hard for anyone to catch them when they got there.

http://www.moabhappenings.com/Archives/historic1008RobbersRoostBook.htm

SAJohn

Hunter
On the Billy Dixon issue, I vaguely recall that the Dixon buffalo party was actually hunting illegally in an area reserved by treaty for the Indians to hunt, is this true?

darkwater67

Single-Sixer
Hey Gibson,

Saw one episode of Wild West Tech or some such show that had a quick blurb about a retired Civil War officer who came to California. He staked a claim, and later a group of 12 armed bandits tried to kill him. With two six-shooters, he downed about 10 of them in short order and finished off the last few with his sword. Hard to remember all the details, but I remember it was one guy against a dozen, and he prevailed. Funny how good guys like that don't get the publicity that the villains get, even when they perform such incredible feats. If you have heard of this one, I'd appreciate more details.

Thanks!

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
Gibson said:
So far, so good I hope. If interest starts to wax or wane let me know.

After I go out and blast the .44 magnum, I promise a story on the Commodore of Arizona fame. We need a lawman gunfighter ;)

I don't think you're going to hear anyone getting bored, But don't Burn yourself out......................

Edit to add, up to this point you had 1830 views, that ought to tell you something! :D ....................................

tas6691

Bearcat
It was always my opinion that Harry Tracey was probably one of the most viscous outlaws in the west when he was on the run. Amazing how kind and considerate he was to those he forced to help him.

don44

Hunter
I was always told the Reno Brothers were hanged in the Floyd County Jail in Indiana. When a movie starring Randolph Scott portrayed the Bros. being hanged in another jail the New Albany Tribune had much to say about it. Not trying to hijack the topics, but that is supposed to be what happened. I don't remember offhand the name of the movie.... I looked up the movie it was "Rage At Dawn".