American Old West Gunmen/Pistoleer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Ruger Packer said:
eveled said:
I was always intrigued with the transitional guys. The ones who were really in the old west but lived into the 20th century and how they adapted. I have heard Bat Masterson became a baseball announcer. If this is true it is amazing. Ed

Not suire about the baseball announcer bit. But he did become a sports reporter for a NY newspaper. He especially liked boxing.

Frank James lived into the 1900's. After Jesse was killed Frank gave up the outlaw life. He lived in Oklahoma for a few years, but eventually returned to the family farm in Missouri. IIRC, Frank lived into his 70's and died a natural death. My Grandfather told stories of being a young boy and Frank James was officiating a horse race in North Missouri. Frank's remains are buried in Independence , MO

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
In one of his columns Bat advised his readers to keep an eye on a promising club fighter coming up, one Victor McLaglen.

oldmustang

Bearcat
Not sure if this qualifies as a Pistoleer, but my Great, Great, Great Grandfather was involved in several fights with the local Indians on his ranch in South Texas back in the late 1850's. Here is one of the stories in the history book of such a battle. http://www.forttours.com/pages/bowlesdavenport.asp

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
"Unrepentant Sinner" by Charles Askins is a good read, filled with gunplay, Its not old west, but new west, a lot of it takes place on the border, runs from the 20's up until the 70's.

Its full of various type of mayhem, and a bit hard to take in places.

Askins was a controversial character.

Dalei

Bearcat
Enjoy these soo much.

speaking of Slim Pickens, there is a book by Dayton O. Hyde (the pastures of the Beyond ((an old cowboy looks back at the old west)),That tells of some of the adventures of
Slim when he was a rodeo clown and bull rider. Very good read.

Dixiejack

Bearcat
Don't know if this link has been posted, but the first train robbery was not in the Old West, but in Indiana.

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/the-reno-brothers-carry-out-the-first-train-robbery-in-u-s-history