American Old West Gunmen/Pistoleer

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bogus bill

Hunter
There is remains of a old ghost town about a hours drive from me, Frisco Utah. http://www.legendsofamerica.com/ut-frisco.html
It was wild, and it was said a marshal was called in from Pinoche Nevada to tame it. Here is a paragraph found in the above web site.
Murders were said to have been so frequent that city officials contracted to have a wagon pick up the bodies and take them to boot hill for burial. Eventually, a lawman from Pioche, Nevada was hired and given free reign to "clean up the town." When the tough marshal appeared on the scene, he allegedly told the town that he had no intentions of making arrests or building jail. Instead, the lawless element had two options – get out of town or get shot. Apparently, some of the wicked did not take the new marshal seriously as he reportedly killed six outlaws on his first night in town. After that, most of the lawless moved on and Frisco became a milder place for its citizens.
I had tried to find out the marshals name for quite awhile and finally did get two possible names just the other night by reading a lot on Mormon family historys. I seen or read the above account in other story's but never the actual name. I now have found two possibilitys both with the same last name. "Jim" or "William" Pearson. Does anyone have more info on this than I do? The story is pretty far out with one marshal killing six separate outlaws the first night on the job! Does sound like a BS fairy tail that got blowed out of proportion, but if could be proven the man would be one of the biggest legends of the west! I have just a few fragments of possible facts that the story might be partially true. I hope to research this farther this winter. Who knows where it will lead? Pioche Nevada is about 95 miles from me and Frisco Nevada about 60. There is a lot of desolate wild barren country in between the two and I have explored a lot of it on my ATV.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/pioche.html

bogus bill

Hunter
Well, here is one or two for you for you that I hope to document some day.
When I was a boy my folks had some old friends. The old man had been in the army chasing poncho villa. He told of marching on the desert and I remember him telling about at the end of the day taking his boots and socks off and said, "The hide would come right off with em!"
Also recall him telling of once going on a sort of hunting-camping jaunt with some buddys for about a year somewhere in the colorado rockys and claimed they didnt see a road in about a year. He said they pulled their gear with toboggans. I do recall him saying they never seen Villa but he claimed they had a indian scout who claimed he had sneaked into a cave where Villa was sleeping with some of his men and said the indian stold villa`s rifle right from beside him and brought the rifle in to prove his "deed"! I have a old acquaintance here that told me he had a uncle who had a horse stolen from around Beaver Utah. His uncle tracked ON FOOT the indian and his horse all the way down to around Kanab Utah, thats about 100 miles, killed the indian, and rode his horse back some 6 days later!
I have another old aquantance here that told me about a uncle he had who was county sheriff here probley just guessing, sometime in the 1930s?; : (I know its funny, but the uncles name was I think, Earl Fife. That is a last name around here.) He was checking out a report of thieves stealing wool from some sheepmen close to the nevada/utah border west of us. The thieves were a man/woman couple that supposedly were on the run from back east. Somehow they got the drop on his uncle and were discussing killing him. It was right near the main road, (probley now highway 56) that go`s from cedar city here to Panaca Nev. They decided to use his handcuffs and cuffed him around a cedar or juniper tree. They left him there to die a slow miserable death. Earl was able to pick up a sharp rock under the tree and slowly chopped off small branchs and worked his way up to the top of the tree and dropped out! Later the couple was ran to ground on the Arizona strip. My friend, (his nephew) said it was wrote up in all the detective magazines that was popular years ago. I sure would like to find a copy of that article. Nuff for now.

wolfsong

Staff member
baronvoncatania said:
I am reading these posts and wondering where the actual stories are. Am I missing something?
I'm thinkng that "Gibson" is no longer a member participating on this forum. Perhaps he had his membership pulled - one's posts disappear when one is banned/removed from the forum. I'm guessing here, as I don't recall any controversy involving him, but...

Peace and God bless, Wolfsong.

Doug.38PR

Single-Sixer
Somewhere between El Paso TX and Charleston SC
DixieBoy said:
Always loved that. And I'm sure we've all seen way too many modern "historians" who seek to diminish men who were, in truth, much tougher and braver men than the pipsqueak "historian" could ever hope to be.

Carry on compadre. - DixieBoy

Exactly what I've said about every yankee (or yankee influenced) college professor I've ever seen in the classroom or on the "History" Channel mouthing off in their pseudo intellectual effeminant voice about "racism" and "sexism" and all those other "isms" leftists and Yankees like to self righteously spout in their condemnation of the Colonists, white men, Founding Fathers, Texas settlers, Confederates, Knights of the Crusades, etc. etc. To them, everything about history was bad until MLK, JFK and Jane Doe Feminist came along in the 1960s and corrected the world....then everything was good and "still has a long way to go" in terms of "progress."

Ugly Hombre

Blackhawk
"Exactly what I've said about every yankee (or yankee influenced) college professor I've ever seen in the classroom or on the "History" Channel mouthing off in their pseudo intellectual effeminant voice about "racism" and "sexism" and all those other "isms" leftists and Yankees like to self righteously spout in their condemnation of the Colonists, white men, Founding Fathers, Texas settlers, Confederates, Knights of the Crusades, etc. etc. To them, everything about history was bad until MLK, JFK and Jane Doe Feminist came along in the 1960s and corrected the world....then everything was good and "still has a long way to go" in terms of "progress."

I am a damn yankee Sir....

And I believe you are right. :)

You know the movie "12 years a slave" that the media made such a big todoo about?? America bad blah blah blah blah.

All the limp wristed critics loved it..

No American alive today never owned a slave, but that does not matter to them- America bad blah blah blah..

Well damn their eyes there are still slavers today Arab slavers- and its 2014! They are called ISIS

Why don't those Neo-Commie hollywood sheep dips make a movie about that!?!?

Fat Chance......

cpt-t

Single-Sixer
I am sorry I found this forum to late, for some of the info has for some reason been deleted. I have been a Western History Buff since I was a young boy. I grew up in OK, MO, TX, & KS and spent most of my life in these 4 states. And I have fasnated by all the stories of Old West and Civil War time period. And all the Old Time Story Tellers that I have been blessed with being able to sit and listen to. My Grandfather and His friends that were like my adopted family were some of the best Story Tellers, I ever got to listen to and I spent a large part of my time growing up listening spell bound to them tell their stories . I have been drawn to Old Men setting on park benches telling their Wonderful Stories for as long as I can remember. I was like a Moth being drawn to a flame with them. And I could just lose all track of time when I was able to just set back and listen to them, I got in trouble many times for being late and not being where I was suspose to be or getting done what I was suspose do, because of these Great Old Men and their Stories. For the most part they were telling you about the most important and exciting parts of their lives and opening their souls to you. They were telling you their most secret thoughts and most treasured experiences. Some of them could tell their stories so well that You could close your eyes and see even the smallest details of the pictures they were painting. You could Smell and Taste and Feel the icey hand of Fear blowing down the collar of you shirt and also feel the hair on the back of your back of your neck standing straight up. While growing up I got to do these things and experience it first hand and I am sorry to say, thoes times just went by way to fast. And now they are gone forever. Some people say it was just all lies, but I beg to differ with them and feel sorry for them because they never got to experience just once what I grew up with. They never got to spend the night in front of a campfire, on a creek down in OKLA called POLECAT with great old story tellers, or set on a park bench in some little town square with some great old story tellers, or set in the Lobby of Mr Davis`s Hotel in Claremore Ok that was really a Gun Museaum cause you couldn`t rent a room there, when they were young and listen to the very best of the old time story tellers that GOD ever made. I got to do these things many times growing up and they are some of my most treasured memiories. And I truley feel sorry for any one that did not get to experience this, for they missed some thing that was so special to me that I really can`t explain it to them. All I can say is, I would give just about anything I have to just to be with thoes Old Men that were so very speical to me growing up again if not for just a short period of time. I am sorry if I bored You with my rambleing`s , for I am just an old man trying to relive his youth, because I miss it so.
ken

SweetWilliam

Buckeye
bogus bill said:
There is remains of a old ghost town about a hours drive from me, Frisco Utah. http://www.legendsofamerica.com/ut-frisco.html
It was wild, and it was said a marshal was called in from Pinoche Nevada to tame it. Here is a paragraph found in the above web site.
Murders were said to have been so frequent that city officials contracted to have a wagon pick up the bodies and take them to boot hill for burial. Eventually, a lawman from Pioche, Nevada was hired and given free reign to "clean up the town." When the tough marshal appeared on the scene, he allegedly told the town that he had no intentions of making arrests or building jail. Instead, the lawless element had two options – get out of town or get shot. Apparently, some of the wicked did not take the new marshal seriously as he reportedly killed six outlaws on his first night in town. After that, most of the lawless moved on and Frisco became a milder place for its citizens.
I had tried to find out the marshals name for quite awhile and finally did get two possible names just the other night by reading a lot on Mormon family historys. I seen or read the above account in other story's but never the actual name. I now have found two possibilitys both with the same last name. "Jim" or "William" Pearson. Does anyone have more info on this than I do? The story is pretty far out with one marshal killing six separate outlaws the first night on the job! Does sound like a BS fairy tail that got blowed out of proportion, but if could be proven the man would be one of the biggest legends of the west! I have just a few fragments of possible facts that the story might be partially true. I hope to research this farther this winter. Who knows where it will lead? Pioche Nevada is about 95 miles from me and Frisco Nevada about 60. There is a lot of desolate wild barren country in between the two and I have explored a lot of it on my ATV.
http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/nv/pioche.html

bogus bill good story. Maybe the Sheriff didn't want to take any chances & just shot them in cold blood one at a time. Just to show he wasn't gonna take any bullshit.
Because the only one that could've ever faced 6 outlaws & killed them all at once with 5 shot Colt would be Bob Mundon.

bwelch47

Bearcat
Here is a name for you to research, Chapo Beaty of the Arizona Rangers. Also, look up books written by Jesse Hayes. Two books I have read are "Apache Vengence" and "The Pleasant Valley Wars". Two of my long time friends, Janie and Kathy, were the grand daughters of William Bohme (grand pa to me) who was the adopted son of Phineous Clanton of the Clanton family. A lot of the books written by Jesse Hayes were based on first hand experience. His home is now part of the San Carlos Apache reservation. He was the Superintendent of the Gila County school system in Arizona. He was raised by the Apache Tribe and obtained a Doctorate degree from Harvard in Education. His father was killed in a raid by outlaws from Mexico. His father and Geronimo were close friends. His father saved Geronimo's life when Geronimo was a young Apache warrior. Jesse Hayes is considered to be a Full Blooded member of the Tribe although his parents were white Americans.

bogus bill

Hunter
I am glad to see this thread start up again even if it was by accident. I will have to reflect and maybe I can contribute something soon of interest to someone out there. Hope others will too.
Check back, I need to do some of my tax figuring right now.

finesse_r

Single-Sixer
finesse_r said:
SAJohn said:
Gibson, You might go into the motives of the James Brothers. I have family roots that go back to the Civil War in Missouri. Many of those banks were carpetbagger operations trying to take any remaining wealth/property of the Missourians. The Pinkerton's were involved in trying to catch/kill the James gang and were so uncontrolled that they literally got away with murder. Most famously, they bombed the James family home mutilating their mother.

SAJOHN,Do you know of any good books on what took place in Missouri in the months prior to the civil war and/or during the civil war. I read some of that history long ago, but have since lost my reference to it. For some reason these cruel and illegal actions rarely are retold my modern historians.

One of my favorite western movies, The Outlaw Josey Whales, reveals a glimpse of what took place in Missouri in the opening scenes of the movie, where Whales is burned out and his family murdered by Union soldiers. It is unclear if the opening scenes depict actions before the War began, or after War was declared. It certainly could have been either.

The real trail of tears was the Missouri residents fleeing from the tyranny of the US government in the months prior to and during the civil war.

One Book that discusses some of the horrors against civilians in Missouri, prior to the War is, "War Crimes Against Southern Civilians" by Walter Brian Cisco. The terrorizing of civilians believed to be sympathetic to southern positions was rampant, widespread, and came directly from the federal government.

The opening scene of "The Outlaw Josey Whales" does touch on what was happening, but fails to really get the point over to most who watch the movie and who are not already familiar with the terrorizing of Missouri civilians prior to the war, as well as during the war. It could and should have been a lot stronger in my opinion. Otherwise a great movie.

He Dog

Bearcat
On page one, Bat Masterson was mentioned as a baseball announcer. Close, he was a sports writer in New York City. He also bought a number of guns which he then sold as "once owned by Bat Masterson," While true, obviously they were never historically important guns once owned by Bat Masterson.

Frank V

Single-Sixer
Well if anyone has any documented stories to tell of the old West I'm probably not the only one who would like to hear them???

Anyone Remember a fellow who used to write a lot about guns, particularly handguns, his name was Elmer Keith. I grew of age reading his writings & treasure my first edition Six-Guns By Keith, my Wife bought it for me years ago.
He said he grew up in the last of the old West & knew some old timers who had fought in the civil war. Mr. Keith lived in historic time.
In 50 years we will have lived in historic times too?
Thanks.

bogus bill

Hunter
If anyone has a liking for history of the old west, Texas and the Texas Ranger Frank Hamer, there is a great new book out, "Texas Ranger" by John Boessenecker. One of the best book`s I have ever read.
Besides Hamer, Bonnie and Clyde there is great old info about Texas history, politics and gunfights well researched. Get it!

BKS

Bearcat
I just finished the Texas Ranger book. Excellent read.
Not exactly old west but an interesting read is anything about Delph "Jelly" Bryce FBI Angent in the 20s around Oklahoma City.