Question About Hogue Monogrip

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CJW

Bearcat
So, after a lot of waffling, and I picked up my .357 SP-101 4.2" today.

This thing is amazing and I love almost everything about it. The look, the heft, the size etc. My only dislike is the grip. For my hands, it's too small and my pinky is almost completely off.

I like the feel of the rubber in that it's relatively soft and not all that sticky, my question to you Hogue Monogrip users, is their rubber about the same texture as the stock rubber?

And for those who are not Hogue users, or perhaps aren't fans of Hogue, what alternatives can you suggest for larger hands? I've poked around and googled and youtubed a bunch of the different grips brands I've seen mentioned this forum and others, but I've had poor luck finding any good comparisons or opinions and most of what I have found, are similar in size to stock. Thanks in advance!

Edit:
So after posting this I searched again and found Pachmayr's Compac Grips and Trausch TJ101... Any feedback on the "grabbyness" of their rubber?

glockman99

Single-Sixer
I have both the (rubber) Hogue Monogrip and the Pachmayr Gripper grip. The Monogrip is alot more "sticky" than the Gripper. I like the Gripper alot better than the Monogrip.

(Edited to fix spellin').

Snake45

Hawkeye
I don't know how Hogues fit on Rugers, but I tried them on both a Colt and a Smith and I did NOT like the goofy, gun-altering Hogue mounting system. I could have lived with them if I'd liked the feel of the grips themselves, but I didn't. Next time I run across those Hogues (they're SOMEWHERE in the basement, but I'm not sure where and I'm not gonna go looking for them, so don't PM me about them), I'm gonna offer them up for sale here cheap.

On the other hand I've used the Pachmayr Compacs--both the regular and the Professionals--on Smith K-frames and they're quite nice. Not much to look at but they work great as grips. Very easy to shoot well with them.

98Redline

Blackhawk
I have an 3" .357 SP-101 as well and had the same issue with the original grip size. I did change to the hogue monogrip and while it is longer, it does not really address the thickness of the grip (front to back) any better than the stock grip

The Pachmyr compac grips seem to be a little better but they are also short like the stock grips.

Take a look at this thread (Post #10 is the most informative)
http://tinyurl.com/7sw36mg

CJW

Bearcat
This is exactly the info I was looking for. This won't be used for concealed carry in the sense that most people probably carry.

If we're hiking, I'd prefer to keep it tucked under my jacket and just avoid the conversation about guns with some of my "politically diverse" friends. I appreciate all the help!

glockman99

Single-Sixer
CJW said:
This is exactly the info I was looking for. This won't be used for concealed carry in the sense that most people probably carry.

If we're hiking, I'd prefer to keep it tucked under my jacket and just avoid the conversation about guns with some of my "politically diverse" friends. I appreciate all the help!
I'd still go with the Pachmayr Gripper grip...The Grippers feel alot better in my hand than the Hogues do. They also seem to allow for a higher hold on the gun than Hogues do, which reduces muzzle-flip.

ronto

Hunter
I had the "hanging pinky" problem with the factory grips also. I tried Trausch Grips but they caused a blister on the webbing between my thumb and forefinger of my strong hand. The Hogue MonoGrip solved the "pinky" problem and cushions the recoil. I pocket carry the 2 1/4" and don't find the Hogues to be too "sticky". When drawing my hand is around the grips and "sticky" doesn't seem to enter into the picture anyway.

CJW

Bearcat
Well the prices are reasonable enough where I can start with one and try the other as it seems there are some good advantages to each.. Hopefully since I went with the 4.2" barrel, that'll keep the flip manageable. I'll revisit this thread and share what I find.

I appreciate all the responses and insights!

CJW

Bearcat
Just a long awaited promise to follow up on this post. I went with the Hoague rubber Monogrip and it was way better than the stock ones. Fit my hand well and had a comfortable purpose. Wearing it OWB though, it did cause my shirt to ride up due to the stickyness of the rubber.

I liked the Hoague shape, so I went with a Rosewood Laminate wood grip and love it. It fits better than the monogrip since it doesn't have the give. Nice and solid feel. I'd definitely recommend either.

(And just to save PMs, no the stock grips aren't for sale)

SP101.jpg

SP101R.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
Well, I happen to have a few sets of Hogue Grippers. One set is an OLD original set that is a harder plastic & not the rubber type. Then I have a few sets of the rubber ones. I also have a few sets of Pachmyers. All of them seem to be good to me.

A

Anonymous

i have mono grips on my .357 mag stainless security six and like them because of the "tacky" feeling they have. I've got arthritis in both hand and sometimes have a hard time shooting heavy .357 mag loads.
With the mono grips I don't have to bear down as hard to hold the gun. :mrgreen:

s4s4u

Hunter
avoid the conversation about guns with some of my "politically diverse" friends

Seems like a wonderful opportunity to educate those "friends" ;-)

I like the Hogues personally.