32-20/ 32 mag convertable New Blackhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

opos

Buckeye
How desirable, rare, fun to shoot, etc is the 32-20/32 mag convertable New Blackhawk...I 'm not familiar with it at all and wondered if anyone here has one...are they mostly safe queens or shooters? Ammo availability is probably a handload situation I'd guess...any comments appreciated
opos

SBH4628

Blackhawk
Mine is a safe queen,late father bought it for me new. Still have the box and all paper work. I will post better pics later. The more common gun is the Buckeye 38-40/10mm. The 32mag/32-20 guns pop up every so often.
32mag/32-20 bottom gun
38-40/10mm above it
401274353.jpg

Rainman

Blackhawk
The 32-20 Buckeyes are awesome shooters despite being a little on the heavy side. Like SBH4628 above, mine are pretty much safe queens as well because of the limited number made.

What would be great if the 32-20 was offered in a New Vaquero along with a matching 327 Federal cylinder. I'd be first in line to order one or two...

Dan

I shot one box of .32-20's thru mine, and a few boxes of new and reloaded .32 H&R as well. Shot fine. Doesn't see much action lately.

I've always thought it would be a good idea to pick up another .32 H&R cylinder and have it reamed out to .327 so I could have a "triple convertible" but never got a round tuit.

Yes, I could have the existing cylinder reamed, but I'd like to retain the original package "as shipped".

;)

gak

Buckeye
A friend has the Vaquero variant - 5.5" stainless as I think all were? One of his favorite guns, if only to have bragging rights for heaviest single action! I've handled it quite a bit, It is a hefty piece. He too has toy'd with idea of making his a triple convertible with .327 cylinder. Ruger really does "need" to give us a midframe--both flattop and NV--convertible!

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have a Buckeye in 32 acquired when they first came out. Didn't shoot it much and a couple years ago had Bowen re-chamber the 32 Mag cylinder to 327 Mag. Also have a USFA 32 WCF/327 Mag convertible so can shoot it too. Just recently had Bowen make a conversion of an OMBH to 32 WCF, 7.5" barrel and is a great shooter. As said, the small holes on the large BH frame makes for a heavy gun! I re-load for all three 32's and all are nice, pleasant re-coiling, shooters. But you must wear hearing protection! They are loud, especially the 327.

32magfan

Blackhawk
I have both the Buckeye and the SS Davidson's convertibles.

They are heavy!! But they shoot great for me. Of course, I like any 32.

My SS gets more usage as I just got it last year. The Buckeye is still nice but a "safe scratch" in the topstrap is a markdown for value. It is a shooter that gets little shooting along with my Taurus 76.

If you see any 32 Convertible for regular BlackHawk prices, snatch it up. Its a bargain usually.

+1 on Flattop 327 / 32-20 Convertible : I'd buy a consective pair in a heartbeat! :wink:

Thanks,

32Magfan

Bkat

Blackhawk
I've had my buckeye for a couple of years, which I got from our own Wyandot Jim. I mostly shoot and really enjoy the 32-20 cylinder, since I've got other .32 h&r's. Of course, with the .32 h&r cylinder, you can also shoot .32 S&W and .32 S&W long. Now I want to pair it up with a model 92 in .32-20.

Bkat

Green Frog

Single-Sixer
WIL TERRY said:
I saw one of these for sale in this morning's paper for a nice round $800.00.

That's about as reasonably as I've seen one priced lately. Unfortunately they did not prove sufficiently popular when in production to merit making a large number, so even a small demand now will drive the prices exceptionally high. Keep in mind that they were sold as "Specials" though, so don't be too impressed if you see an unfired or seldom fired example... that's the way many of them were/are. I sure do miss mine, along with the 6" S&W Model 16-4 I bought (and sold) at about the same time frame. :cry:

If, as several people have already opined, Ruger would come out with a mid-frame BH or a mini-Vaquero in this combination as a production gun, I would jump on it quickly, but I'm not sure whether this would be a big enough niche to satisfy the bean counters. JMHO, of course

Froggie

gak

Buckeye
Green Frog said:
If, as several people have already opined, Ruger would come out with a mid-frame BH or a mini-Vaquero in this combination as a production gun, I would jump on it quickly, but I'm not sure whether this would be a big enough niche to satisfy the bean counters. JMHO, of course
Froggie I think you've got it right on. I would hope that their previous effort's luke warm response would not scare Ruger from trying it again, but on a midframe this time. As excellent as those big frames otherwise were, the size/weight (for the cartridges) may have kept a few folks away (the better response to the current, same-frame .327 BH notwithstanding). I think a New Vaquero/Flattop would be enough different to give it a better chance, especially if production is focused on Montado/Sheriff and 4-5/8" lengths. That and the times have changed and a new--or re-energized--generation of .32__ fans has developed over time. I'd also think a .38-40/.40 midframe convertible would have a similar positive response, downsizing the package from the previous effort. The numbers may or may not be there, but we can always hope!

RICHP

Single-Sixer
I would venture to guess most people, like myself didn,t know they existed until they were socked away in some collectors safe. Now as mentioned most are too expensive.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
If only Buckeye had delayed their exclusive orders until 2005 when the mid-frame flat tops were introduced, at least for the .32. I know they wanted the large frame for the 38-40 since they pioneered the 38-40 Magnum.

But a mid-frame 32-20/32 H&R/327 Fed triple convertible per Ali-8 would be sweet! And the barrels and cylinders would then exist for us hard core 3 screw finatics to use in our OMs.

Blackhawk Convertable

Single-Sixer
The Vaquero was offered in 32-20/32mag. There were 556 total made with 273 being 4-5/8" and 283 in 5-1/2". I've owned 4 of the short barrels in my time. With one still in the safe. They were built on the full size Vaquero 357 frame.

000_0009.jpg

ThomTender

Single-Sixer
Why do you need another cylinder. I shoot 32 H & R mags know thru my Single Seven 327 now w/o a problem. I have gone as small as a 32 ACP but the groups got a little bigger with the little ACP

contender

Ruger Guru
No, Ruger will not make you a custom cylinder. And ThomTender, he wants a.327 cylinder because his Buckeye already shoots.32Mag

This convertible is 327/32-20 and I have to admit, the way Alan Harton and Fermin Garza put it together makes it shoot like a laser. You point it at the steel and down it falls. I have to admit, I have only shoot it with the 32-20 cylinder so far and as good as it shoot's, it may never see the 327 cylinder.
CjgWglI.jpg