LCR 22 Speedloader Question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Does anyone have any idea if the SP101 8 Shot 22 Speedloader will work in the LCR 22 ?????

I have read that the SP101 38 and the LCR 38 take the same speedloaders. One would also think the 22's would take the same ones.

At $25 a pop it would be better to find out if they will work before ordering.

Thanks

Bob

Viking Queen

Blackhawk
I have a speed loader that "sort of" works with the 5 shot LCR 38 spl - it is the HKS 36. It kind of binds up along the side of the grips. So at times, they're not so "speedy". I'm not sure about the one you're asking about for the 8 shot LCR 22.

The only company that I am aware of that makes speed loaders especially for the LCR 38 spl is 5starfirearms. So you might check with them to see if they are going to make one for the 8 shot LCR 22. They are pricy, but also quite nice looking, and from what I understand they work extremely well. And function is what really counts.

I'm kind of waiting for a few other unexpected expenses to go away before I place an order for a couple of these. Here is the link

http://www.5starfirearms.com/357_j_2.html

Hope this helps you out. Viking Queen

Snake45

Hawkeye
Save your money. From my experience with .22 K-22s and Colt Diamondbacks, I can tell you that .22 speedloaders don't work very well, and when then do, it's mainly only for a clean, unfired cylinder. The chamber-diameter lead (usually wax lubed) bullet and the whole round's light weight, compared to any centerfire, seem to be the problem.

Oh, you can start the rounds in but then you end up having to push every one into place with your thumb anyway. .22s won't just drop right in like centerfires will.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
I shot the LCR 22 in our Defensive Pistol Match today in BUG Division. I borrowed a couple Orange 10 round Tuff Products Speed Strips from my brother. They were both loaded with 10 rounds when he gave them to me. The LCR did not load well with 10 rounds in the speed strip.

The second run I loaded the speed strips differently. I loaded 2 skipped a space, loaded 2 skipped a space, and loaded the last 2. We Only Load 6 rounds in the match, or 5 in a 5 round J Frame size gun. This method worked out very well. With a space between the shells you could push in 2 rounds and strip them off rotate and load 2 more. push any down that you see up, and index the empty chambers up when shutting the cylinder. In practice this did not take as long as reading about it. This was a faster speed strip reload than my LCR 357. The 22 LR ammo strips off very easily, which speeds things up on the reload.

I have HKS speedloaders for my 617 S&W 6 shot revolver. When you consider all the steps in a rimfire reload which includes making sure all rounds are down. I think a Speed Strip reload is about as fast as I can make. It would be nice to do some timed reloads with an LCR 22 speedloader to do a comparison though.

I will be making an order to Tuff Products tomorrow for some ORANGE 22 Speed Strips for the LCR 22. Why Orange? You can find them on the ground much easier after a tactical reload.

NOTE: I shot both the LCR 22 and my LCR 357 in BUG Division today. Both ran great. The scores have not been posted yet, but I am betting they are very close. The LCR 22 shot exactly like the LCR 357. I really like both the LCR 22 and LCR 357. Both are Keepers.

UPDATE: The Match scores were posted.
My SSR Scores shot with my 64 S&W were 76.13 and 78.82. The 76.13 was the third highest score in all Divisions combined. I was beated by 1 entry in CDP (1911) and one entry in SSP (Combat Tupperware Division).

In BUG My LCR 22 did better than my LCR 357.
Run One LCR 22 with 10 rounds in the speed strips: 101.97
Run Two with the LCR 357: 109.39
Run Three with the LCR 22 with the bugs out of the speed strips: 95.91 First Place.
The LCR 22 turned in a better score than 5 of the Stock Service Pistol entries. Not bad at all outshooting full size pistols with a 1.87" barrel snub nose revolver. I am totally happy with its performance.

Bob

HiVel

Bearcat
SpeedBeez.com makws 22 speedloaders for the 8 shot LCR/SP101 Rugers=they are the same product and work in both my guns.

Snake45

Hawkeye
A few years ago I discovered the fastest way to reload a .22 DA revolver was to carry the ammo in a nifty little Uncle Mike's Velcro-secured belt pouch, and grab two or three rounds at a time by the rim ends, and simply stuff them in. With some practice, your fingers can become amazingly adept at finding and aquiring two or three rounds in this fashion, and sometimes you even grab them just right so you can put them into the chambers two at a time. It only takes a few seconds to reload this way, and is much less bother than screwing around with a speedloader.

As a practical matter, however, I think "speedloading" a .22 revolver is pretty much a moot issue. You shouldn't be carrying a .22 revolver for self defense in the first place (carry something more powerful), and if you are, you most likely won't have the need or get the chance to speed-reload it. By the time you've packed up a .22 revolver and a couple of speedloaders (and some means to keep the latter clean and lint/dust-free), you've easily got as much bulk involved as simply going to a much better weapon in the first place.

I love my .22 DA revolvers and shoot them often, but I have no illusions about what they are and aren't. :wink:

Bob R

Single-Sixer
Snake
I got the LCR 22 as a practice gun to replicate the function of my LCR 357 and 638 S&W Snub Nose carry guns. The 22 is very cheap to shoot, providing lots of valuable training at a very economical cost. I get in most of my practice shooting in our Bi Monthly Defensive Pistol Match, and the Steel Challange Match on the alternating months. (IDPA Silhouettes one month, and Steel the next)
The Defensive Pistol match requires reloads on the clock. Reloading the LCR 357 with Speed Strips works exactly the same as reloading the LCR 22 with Speed Strips.
Normally I carry speed strips when packing my 638 and LCR 357. I have been using the speedloaders mainly in matches shooting my 638. The more I think about it, the 22 Speed Strips will fit perfectly into my practice use of the LCR 22 as a training tool.

Thanks HIVEL
I have 2 Speed Beez 8 round SP101 Speedloaders and a loading block on order. With luck it will work fine with the LCR 22.

I also sent a message to Tuff Products about redesigning the Tuff Products 1022 Speed Strip either into an 8 round unit with spaces between pairs, or making it an 11 round holder so a space can be skipped between pairs. Adding one round for a total of 11 completely filled will allow 8 to be loaded in pairs. Either option will fix the problem of space between pairs.

Bob

PlaythruChazfar

Bearcat
Snake45 said:
A few years ago I discovered the fastest way to reload a .22 DA revolver was to carry the ammo in a nifty little Uncle Mike's Velcro-secured belt pouch, and grab two or three rounds at a time by the rim ends, and simply stuff them in. With some practice, your fingers can become amazingly adept at finding and aquiring two or three rounds in this fashion, and sometimes you even grab them just right so you can put them into the chambers two at a time. It only takes a few seconds to reload this way, and is much less bother than screwing around with a speedloader.

As a practical matter, however, I think "speedloading" a .22 revolver is pretty much a moot issue. You shouldn't be carrying a .22 revolver for self defense in the first place (carry something more powerful), and if you are, you most likely won't have the need or get the chance to speed-reload it. By the time you've packed up a .22 revolver and a couple of speedloaders (and some means to keep the latter clean and lint/dust-free), you've easily got as much bulk involved as simply going to a much better weapon in the first place.

I love my .22 DA revolvers and shoot them often, but I have no illusions about what they are and aren't. :wink:

I don't know but if someone was a few feet from me and aimed anything or shot me I do not think that I would say your 22 cannot hurt me.The 22 can be useful in a critical situation and is better than nothing and no matter what caliber you use there still is a fear factor when you see a gun pointed at you but I will admit that bigger is better.

Bob R

Single-Sixer
PlaythruChazfar

You are correct, a 22 is no toy.

I did a speed dump at the range the other day with the LCR 22.
At a range of about 5 or 6 feet I emptied the LCR 22 as fast as I could, two handed.
In way less time than it takes to say "Halt or I will Shoot" the LCR went from Bangity Bang Bang to Clickity Click Click. All 8 rounds went into about a 4 Inch Circle center chest on an IDPA Silhouette. I am thinking 8 CCI Stingers in a 4" circle Center Chest would leave a mark.

A Lady carrying an LCR 22 loaded with 8 Stingers in her pocket is way better off than a Lady with a heavy recoiling 38 airweight left in the dresser drawer that she does not like to shoot or carry.

While a 22 is not ideal for self defense, Like You Said, It is way better than nothing.

Bob

PlaythruChazfar

Bearcat
Bob R said:
PlaythruChazfar

You are correct, a 22 is no toy.

I did a speed dump at the range the other day with the LCR 22.
At a range of about 5 or 6 feet I emptied the LCR 22 as fast as I could, two handed.
In way less time than it takes to say "Halt or I will Shoot" the LCR went from Bangity Bang Bang to Clickity Click Click. All 8 rounds went into about a 4 Inch Circle center chest on an IDPA Silhouette. I am thinking 8 CCI Stingers in a 4" circle Center Chest would leave a mark.

A Lady carrying an LCR 22 loaded with 8 Stingers in her pocket is way better off than a Lady with a heavy recoiling 38 airweight left in the dresser drawer that she does not like to shoot or carry.

While a 22 is not ideal for self defense, Like You Said, It is way better than nothing.

Bob

Not just a woman Bob people have to be comfortable on what they buy or carry if they choose to carry

meshugunner

Single-Sixer
Bob R said:
Bob

Took the words right out of my mouth. I would add that a gun that you are proficient with is worth any cannon that you fumble in a crisis. A .22 is fun to shoot even for kids and the ammo is very cheap.

Also, assailants who attack women are looking for an easy mark and are usually not prepared for real resistance.

My wife just can't take the recoil from my LCR 38 with Hogues or the CT Laser grips on it. She can handle the LCR22 though, so I put the laser grips on it for her and I am now carrying the LCR 38 again. I like it better than my Smith 642.

Latest posts