High Polish Stainless Old Army?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

ElectraClyde

Single-Sixer
I recently saw one for sale with an adustible sight and a 7 1/2" barrel. Didn't think at the time to jot down the s/n. In a quick search of prior posts, the only reference I came across for a polished Old Army is for the polished 5 1/2" fixed sight version. Did Ruger produce such a gun, or would it have been polished later in life? Asking price was $399. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Clyde

contender

Ruger Guru
Without getting into my books, I can't recall if Ruger did a high polish or not. However, the price is very fair. I'd say got it no matter if the finish is original or not.

chet15

Hawkeye
Ruger did do one high polish adj. sight model but it also came with simulated ivory grip panels.
From the reference:

GKBPI-7 (Ruger model 1407). Known s/n range 145-76897 to 145-80274. A total of 2,126 shipped in 1995 to all distributors with last group being shipped to NRSS (OH).

Chet15

Kanook

Buckeye
It just make you wonder how many more are out there.

From 2,126 to now 3,570

Coogs

Maximum
But that doesn't mean ALL of those in that range are the high polish. Ruger was/is good at pulling "blocks" of guns within a serial number range and changing something on them. Happened before, probably happen again. And yet, they ALL could be the high polish guns in that serial number range. Who knows? :? :? :? :? One thing I have learned about Ruger in 40 years is that you Never, ever, say Ruger didn't do that or this. JMHO, Coogs.

chet15

Hawkeye
conder0289 said:
The high polished finish can and has been done to many stainless steel guns, anyone with Flitz or Mother's and a good amount of time to detail can polish a satin finish stainless gun to a high polish

But the guns factory shipped that way will always be the rare ones.
Chet15

chet15

Hawkeye
Kanook said:
It just make you wonder how many more are out there.

From 2,126 to now 3,570

The 2,126 quantity comes right from Ruger....on a list of special distributor models printed by Ruger and sent to their distributors a few years ago.
Chet15

Kanook

Buckeye
So without a letter, the one I posted a picture of could be a homemade duplicate.

If it did letter as a "Factory" high polish, what would it change?

Galaxiedan

Blackhawk
Box helps too
pix232339621_zpsdpprwu3q.jpg

Kanook

Buckeye
So yours is the lowest known number and the pic I posted could be the highest. They were not produced in order.

Very interesting.

HiramAbif

Bearcat
I bought mine from Sportsman's Guide in 1996 or 1997. According to Rugers website it was manufactured in 1996. It falls outside of the serial numbers in the post above. S/N 145-80894. Sorry, for the quality of the pictures (poor lighting.) I've always wondered about the finish on this gun. I've seen a lot of New Armys; but, mine is the only high polish I've ever seen. I'm not really very knowledgeable about Ruger's manufacturing codes; so, GKBPI-7 1407 doesn't mean anything to me.

Any light you can shed on it will be appreciated. Like I said I've had it since it was new and it's never been fired.

Hiram

hittman

Staff member
Galaxiedan said:
Pictures arent working for me. Try using photobucket.com

The pics are there ..... and I see they're Photobucket hosted. That end label on the shipper seals the deal!

HiramAbif

Bearcat
Glad the pictures showed up. I haven't used photobucket for years and wasn't sure how it worked anymore! It's a beautiful revolver. I'm going to call Ruger Monday at the number they have on their website and see if they can give me any insight on the piece. I've looked in the past; and, couldn't find any info on it. I did a search last night and it led me here. Sounds like it may be a fairly rare run. It's is outside the serial numbers listed earlier in the thread. And, according to Ruger's site was the 360th SS revolver made in 1996. I bought it from Sportsman's Guide. Still have the grey box and all the original paperwork, nipple wrench, etc. Basically, I bought it and displayed the revolver and put the box and everything away.

HiramAbif

Bearcat
hittman said:
Galaxiedan said:
Pictures arent working for me. Try using photobucket.com

The pics are there ..... and I see they're Photobucket hosted. That end label on the shipper seals the deal!

What does the end label tell you? I'm familiar with Smith and Wesson codes; but, not so much with Rugers codes. All I could get out of it was that it had a 7" barrel! Could you decipher the codes for me?

hittman

Staff member
HiramAbif said:
What does the end label tell you?

Catalog number: GKBPI-7

G= high polish
K = stainless
BP = black powder
I = ivory grips
7 = barrel length

Info courtesy of RENE.