What holster for a Birdshead New Vaquero

Help Support Ruger Forum:

buckshot

Single-Sixer
I just picked up a Lipsey's New Vaquero Birdshead 45 Colt. I don't see a lot of holster options for the 3.75" barrel. What are you guys using? What do you recomend?

JWhitmore44

Blackhawk
Depends on what kind of a holster you are looking for. A leather hoslter made for the New Vaquero with a 4 5/8 inch barrel will work fine you'll just have an extra inch or so of holster. The nylon holsters for 4 inch medium frame revolvers work good. I don't have the New Vaquero but I do have the short Vaquero. I have a Uncle Mikes nylon pancake holster made for a Colt 1911 that my Vaquero fit's in nicely. I've added straps that I can snap to it if I want to use it for inside the waist. It's till about an inch longer then it needs to be but it works. Even my 32 Single Six works in it.

29 Wheelgunner

Single-Sixer
Head on over to: Mernickleholsters.com for some great options.

The one in the picture is the high ride option for single action revolvers and I love the thing.

BirdsheadVaquero5.jpg

buckshot

Single-Sixer
Yes I guess I should have mentioned that I want a leather holster. I would prefer one for the 3.75" barrel not one for a 4 5/8" I have several of those already.

29 Wheelgunner....That's what I had in mind! Thanks

What else are you guys using?

BearBio

Buckeye
I have an EPS Tom Threepersons. Basket weave, 12 cartridges, fishscale weave.

Also, an EPS western shoulder holster (bought used but a good fit--made for a Colt sheriff model). A 1911, GI issue shoulder holster (or a Victory holster) will work, but a bit long. Pacific Canvas makes good ones.

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
I have one made from this fellow on the other Ruger group. He makes them in black or brown, VERY NICE. I had it made for my Montado but all the old and new Vaq, BH's fit nice in it.

http://rugerforum.net/handgun-accessories/43329-southerngunner-3-saa-holster.html

http://rugerforum.net/projects/29494-another-homemade-holster.html

Tell him Dale sent ya!!

He also makes beautiful grips!

I also have this holster from Ohio dealer , #116-15 3 3/4" black Tripple-K holster. VERY nice and fairly cheap.

http://www.cowboyneeds.com/tk_western.html

D.

dougader

Hunter
I wonder if those holsters will accommodate my custom patridge front sight and elevated front sight base on my Montado. Also need one to fit a similarly customized single six.

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
My Montado fits in both. Do you have a pic showing how much higher your front site is?
BTW, you went HIGHER on a front site with this 3 1/2" barrel? Mine all need filing down?

D.

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
29 Wheelgunner said:
Head on over to: Mernickleholsters.com for some great options.

The one in the picture is the high ride option for single action revolvers and I love the thing.

quote]

I really like that. But, Is there a hold down thong for the hammer?
It looks like it could easily come out otherwise?
D.

dougader

Hunter
DCRuger said:
My Montado fits in both. Do you have a pic showing how much higher your front site is?
BTW, you went HIGHER on a front site with this 3 1/2" barrel? Mine all need filing down?

D.

The top right gun is a stock 45 Colt Montado. The one underneath has the front sight I'm talking about. It mates up to the S&W adj rear sight very well.

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
That's an interesting looking gun, although I still wonder about adjusting for point of impact? Have you shot it?
All of my 3 3/4" barreled Rugers would shoot pretty good if the front sight was about 1/2 the height I think.
I don't know about fitting in a holster, you might ask SOUTHERNGUNNER since he's making them and I know he's made holsters for other Ruger models.

D.

dougader

Hunter
That's an interesting looking gun, although I still wonder about adjusting for point of impact? Have you shot it?
All of my 3 3/4" barreled Rugers would shoot pretty good if the front sight was about 1/2 the height I think.
I don't know about fitting in a holster, you might ask SOUTHERNGUNNER since he's making them and I know he's made holsters for other Ruger models.

I shoot it a lot. It's zeroed for 25 yards with a Beartooth 265 grain WFNGC at 1000 fps.

I just can't see the fixed sights on the Vaqueros and Colt clones anymore. So Alan Harton professionally fit the rear S&W adj sight and made a custom front sight base and patridge blade. He also gave it the best, smoothest action and crisp trigger break I have ever felt on a new model Ruger SA revolver.

He also added a free-spin pawl, reamed the throats to .4525", fit the Ruger factory birdshead grip, a Colt style crescent ejector rod button and a black powder chamfer to the cylinder face.

For me, its the perfect little packin pistol and fits me like a glove. I don't recommend a birdshead grip for the large frame 45's and the heavy 30k psi loads you see in the reloading manuals, but this looks great and shoots great.

Before I sent the Montado to Alan, I couldn't keep 6 shots on a 12 inch pie plate at 15 yards. Now it shoots one hole groups at that distance and hovers around 1" at 25 yards.

I do need a hoslter for it, though, and the 32 H&R mag Single Six that Alan made up for me as the Montado's little brother.

DCRuger

Single-Sixer
I just scored a NIB .45LC Bl/CCH 'Last Cowboy' w/ 3 3/4" today at a show. My 4th BH 3 3/4" to go with my Montado. Actually I guess 'score' isn't a good term considering what I paid to get it! :>)
I have GOT to stop looking when I walk past my Ruger dealers tables at shows! He keeps bring stuff to shows he bought years ago and put away.
He has several models of old Vaq. ,44 mags that I can't believe he still has. I don't want another .44 mag but I'm really being drawn to one in particular in old bl/cch w/ white grips and shorter barrel.

D.

dougader

Hunter
I would own a lot more Vaqueros if I could see the darn sights. I think they're gorgeous revolvers.

Latest posts