RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:59 pm 

Much confusion surrounds the Ruger Single Action Grip Frames. Lucky for us, Boge Quinn has graciously allowed us to "link" a page from their gunblast.com web site.

http://www.gunblast.com/Hamm_Ruger-SA-GripFrames.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:53 pm 
Blackhawk

It should be noted that this excellent reference article was written by the Ruger Forum's own flattop44. Good job Bill.

Dan

Post subject: Very Confused!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:47 pm 
Bearcat

Not trying to beat a dead horse but, I am very confused! I have a 1986 New Model 357 SS Blackhawk. Looking to replace the factory grips and here is my issue: Grip frame is marked XR-3 on the RIGHT (not the left) side of the grip frame. When comparing the frame to pictures on the Bill Hamm site, my frame looks exactly like the picture of the new model super blackhawk frame but without the squared trigger guard - is this possible? Should I use super blackhawk grips or what?
Thanks in advance for any information provided!
Randy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:35 pm 
Blackhawk

Bill's work on that subject is the most complete resource anywhere in the free world. I don't know what the Russians have.
Bill, hopefully you will get to update that before too long!

Jeff

Post subject: Re: Very Confused!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:38 pm 
Site Admin

" I have a 1986 New Model 357 SS Blackhawk. Looking to replace the factory grips and here is my issue: Grip frame is marked XR-3 on the RIGHT (not the left) side of the grip frame. When comparing the frame to pictures on the Bill Hamm site, my frame looks exactly like the picture of the new model super blackhawk frame but without the squared trigger guard - is this possible?"

Ruger's grip nomenclature has been "out to lunch" for many, many years. It's confused scores of folks, especially those that don't have 26 Ruger Blackhawks in their safe...... :roll:

Yes, is very likely that the "short barreled" Super Blackhawk grips would fit your '86 vintage .357. The 7-1/2" and 10-1/2" New Model Super Blackhawks utilize the larger grip frame that has the famous (infamous to some) square-backed trigger guard.

The info is there in Mr. Hamm's article and one must carefully read the text and study the graphics.

JMHO,

flatgate
Randy[/quote]

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:52 am 
Hawkeye

flattop44 wrote:
Ruger is making different Single Actions faster than I can count 'em so if there is new info on those please let us know and I will try to update the article so folks can be informed.

FT44/aka Bill

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the great work on this issue. I've observed the following updates:
1. Blue steel NM XR3-RED frame size marked XR-3. I've only seen the alloys marked XRN-3RED.
2. Stainless Steel NM XR3-RED frame size is no longer just KXR-3:
Earliest = KXR-3, Next = KXR-3 with a separate N, Late = K in circle XRN-3
3. Blue steel Old Armies are: XRN-3

Hope that helps,

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 12:25 pm 
Ruger Guru

Thanks Jim, I do appreciate the info. I am going to send you a PM to discuss further off-line.
Bill

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:08 am 
Hawkeye

Bill's article is indeed a very good technical info resource. But unfortunately too many people try to interpret those ridiculous frame marking just because they want to buy a new pair of grips.

It's not really that complicated. In the 50+ years that Ruger has been in business, they have used basically three sizes of grip frames on their single actions. I'm talking basically plow handle style grips here. There have been a few oddities along the way but not that many were produced and if you have one of those, you should find it in Bill's reference article.

But, to get to the basics, if you want to buy a new set of grips, you can find out what you need by referring to the drawing below. Just draw yourself a three inch square and place one of your stock grips in it. It will fit like one of the drawings below. I don't pay any attention to those frame markings.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:48 am 
Bearcat

Man o man am I confussed now.

I don't like the new plastic grip panels now being put on the New Model Single Six so I want to have a set of simulated Stag grips made. Ruger is sending me the Ruger medallion that goes in the panels so I can have them installed in the new panels.

The picture below is of a 1977 Single Six that I had these same panels made for about 5 years ago. I no longer have the gun. (Wish I had never sold it.)
My new gun was made in Sept of this year. The only thing the new frame has on it is the number 23. That's it.

Are the two frames the same? The one on the 1977 model and the one on the 2012 model? I need to know before I spend the money for the new grips.

Thanks,
djh

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:31 am 
Hawkeye

As I showed you with the drawing there are only three sizes of Ruger plow handle type grips. The gun you show in the picture with the black grips has the XR3-RED profile frame on it. Measure the width of it. You will find that it is .500" and not .437".

You want grips that fit the "regular" Blackhawk (not the flattop Blackhawks) or the Vaquero. Note that I said "Vaquero" not "New Vaquero".

Still don't believe me? Draw yourself a three inch square and see how your grip fits in it. It's really not rocket science. I don't know how to make it any plainer than that. Oh yeah, your grip frame is also aluminum. The new XR3 is steel only.

As far as what Ruger marks on their grip frames, don't even look at it. It will drive you nuts.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:26 am 
Ruger Guru

As Caryc says, his first 3" square "XR3-RED" is the correct one for your gun. I believe if I were having a set of custom panels made I would just let the grip maker have my gun or the at least the grip frame so they would fit perfectly and no guessing or discussion would be needed. Of course JMHO.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:28 am 
Hawkeye

djh wrote:
Don't get upset. I just ask if both frames were the same.
djh

I'm sorry if it appeared that I was upset as you put it. I just tried to make it as simple as I could. The answer to your question is yes.

I guess there are people who don't believe me about the three inch square. They just try to make things more complicated than they are.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:10 pm 
Hunter

caryc wrote:
djh wrote:
Don't get upset. I just ask if both frames were the same.
djh

I'm sorry if it appeared that I was upset as you put it. I just tried to make it as simple as I could. The answer to your question is yes.

I guess there are people who don't believe me about the three inch square. They just try to make things more complicated than they are.

Ruger made it a little complicated by labeling some frames and not others and all the mismatches, etc. related to RUGER's own labels. Maybe it would be fairly easy to see how the average user would expect to have some sort of consistency from the manufacturer of the gun and not rely on (what we here know is an expert) a private party. I agree, don't get mad. It's confusing....not what you wrote EVER but how Ruger did it. I would like to find a nice XRN-3RED grip frame only but no one here talks that way.........because they know what you have described. See?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:31 pm 
Hawkeye

GasGuzzler wrote:

Ruger made it a little complicated by labeling some frames and not others and all the mismatches, etc. related to RUGER's own labels. Maybe it would be fairly easy to see how the average user would expect to have some sort of consistency from the manufacturer of the gun and not rely on (what we here know is an expert) a private party. I agree, don't get mad. It's confusing....not what you wrote EVER but how Ruger did it. I would like to find a nice XRN-3RED grip frame only but no one here talks that way.........because they know what you have described. See?

Not just a little; from my post page 1:
1. Blue steel New Model XR3-RED frame size is marked XR-3. I've only seen the alloys marked XRN-3RED. XR3 w/o the dash was the very 1st Old Model alloy grip!

2. Stainless Steel NM XR3-RED frame size is no longer just marked KXR-3:
Earliest = KXR-3, Next = KXR-3 with a separate N, and Latest = K in circle XRN-3.

Much of this has nothing to do with the grip panel size but rather new castings which had different height "ears" around the hammer base; and there's about 5 different heights out there.

So when ordering grips, Cary's way is the only way!

And when buying grip frames, one must state alloy or steel and which model SA the one you want originally came on!

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA

Last edited by Hondo44 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am 
Hawkeye

One should realize that there are Ruger owners out there that are not collectors. They may have the first and only hand gun they ever purchased. So when you tell them that a Super Blackhawk and a Vaquero can have the same grip frame, it's hard for them to believe or that a flattop Blackhawk and a New Vaquero have the same grip frame.

Some people think that every different caliber Ruger revolver is it's own gun in a sense that it was designed from the ground up. They don't realize that Bill Ruger was smart enough to use parts like grip frames, barrels and even internals on many different models.

As I said in 60+ years Ruger has used only three different sizes of plow handle grips.