Check this out...Ruger in Vietnam?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
Holy heck! It took me this long to find the photo. It was in Combat Illustrated Magazine, Volume 2/Number 3, June 1977. I found the magazine going through a stack of my old ones. The article was titled, "The Helicopter War" and was about a mission by the 187th Assault Helicopter Company. It was written by helicopter pilot Kevin D. Randle.

Unconverted

Single-Sixer
It's been a long time since I posted a photo. Fixed it.
2sE4Afg.jpg

Black eagle medallions clearly evident!
zDROt5S.jpg

jerrydm60

Bearcat
when I was there in 67 and 68 you could carry just about anything you wanted to. saw some guys with S&W 29, we had S&W airweights still in wrappers when I left in Dec 68.

Hope this sized-photo is easier for folks to view. 8)

I've said this before...The S&W Victory .38 Special was our issued sidearm in Army Aviation. But even at the tail end of the Vietnam era, my pilots, especially my Cobra pilots, carried whatever personal sidearm was their choice. It was not uncommon to see a cowboy six-shooter hanging from a gun belt.

Terry T

Buckeye
Interesting - holding the carbine left handed yet the holster is right handed.
Terry T

My buddy was a door gunner on Slicks, two tours. He carried a Hi-power given to him by one of the other crew chiefs that was heading home. He said he also kept a
"Grease gun" handy around camp... My A-7B pilot carried a 4" DA 38 revolver in an aircrew shoulder rig.

probably left eye dominant, made things tough being that way and having all military issue weaponry be 'right handed........... :roll: 8)
Cool picture ,thanks for finding it for us...... :wink:

single action

Single-Sixer
I would like to not add to the conversation on weapons but to personally thank each and all the Veterans that have given input for their service. Again, many thanks for your service. Bob

edlmann

Blackhawk
SgtSam said:
The Air Force always armed it's people in combat zones up through the beginning of the Vietnam era. Then the idiots in charge decided that they didn't need to be.
In 1967, the USAF took a bunch of radar technicians, gave them M-16s they'd never trained on, and put them on top of a rock in NE Laos near the NVN border. The results were tragically predictable.