lanyard on SP101

Help Support Ruger Forum:

nbanders

Bearcat
Hi:
Looking for a source of a grip for an SP101 with an integral lanyard loop, something that could be used for white water rafting ect.
Does such a thing exist?

Ray Newman

Blackhawk
Nbanders: a fly fishing friend made up his own lanyard ring.

He took some plastic strapping tape, folded it over, slid on a brass ring, and removed the grips. He then placed the tape on the frame and screwed the grips down tight. It was very secure and no alteration to the revolver.

Possible to do the same with very high tensile strength fishing line??....

Blackhawk

Bearcat
I have a set of grips (not for sale, but I'll try to post some pictures) that came off of my daughter's SP. A group of these 2.25", .38s were brought back from a French gov't group. The guns all had import markings and grips that were modified in such a manner thst allowed access to a frame (grip super structure) loop. These were supposedly what the ladies were offered while people with larger hands had a choice of GPs. You might be able to find a neat way to mimmick this.

ShortBBL

Blackhawk
Maybe you could drill a hole thru a spare pair of grips and use paracord. Just an idea.. maybe not the best one though! :)

twobisquit said:
Bowen sells a lanyard loop that replaces the screw for the Houge grips

Yep, he does.

I'll provide a link to the page, since I just spent 15 minutes searching the Brownell's site. :oops:
http://www.bowenclassicarms.com/Parts_Lanyard.htm

Bowen, Brownell's... the difference should have been obvious! :p

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Save a lot of time and money, purchase a set of Hogue grips and then call Hogue and order the replacement screw that is also a lanyard. Cost for the screw is only $2.95 plus shipping. Bowen is nice but a lot more money.

protoolman

Service-Sixer
The French Grips that were modified were from Trausch grips. I can't remember how the loop was formed but Im sure if you e-mail Mr. trausch he will fill you in on the French Guns. He has posted here in the past and has corresponded with several forum members including myself.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
The French contract SP101s used the standard rubber grips with plastic inserts. The difference was that the actual gun frame had a 1/8 inch cut around the grip locator pin. The cut allow an extra part that was inserted before the rubber grip and also held in place by the pin. The rubber grips have a 3/8 inch hole in the back where the lanyard attaches. If I find my set I will post pictures.

cimarron8889

Bearcat
I have seen a modification for a lanyard using the factory grip where a rifle sling swivel stud was mounted to the butt of the frame. A small hole was drilled in the butt of the factory grip before it was reinstalled. This was a very sweet looking set up.

rug357

Bearcat
lfpiii said:
Save a lot of time and money, purchase a set of Hogue grips and then call Hogue and order the replacement screw that is also a lanyard. Cost for the screw is only $2.95 plus shipping. Bowen is nice but a lot more money.

Where can I find this?

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Call Hogue at 800 GET-GRIP (800 438-4747) or (805) 239-1440 ask for

part number 00128 Lanyard 1/2" (length) ring screw satin nickle

part number 00129 Lanyard 1" (length) ring screw satin nickle

I recommend that you order a couple of each as Hogue only makes a batch or two a year. These are not standard catalog items.

lfpiii

Blackhawk
Here are a couple of pictures of the Hogue lanyard.

P1010077.jpg

P1010080-1.jpg

Latest posts