Ejector Rod Housing Screw size???

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tommy Kelly

Buckeye
I believe it's a 10x32 thread. Reason being I bought a chopped down pistol and the erh screw had been replaced with a phillips head regular screw that looked to be a 10x32 thread. And when I ordered a replacement screw from brownells it fit perfectly in the old threads so the machine screw didn't distort the threads. The brownells screw was a proper fitting screw and fit flush with the housing just like normal. In fact I took a screw out of another ruger and put in this gun and put the new screw back in my 45 colt blackhawk when it came in. When I first looked at the screw I figured the threads were messed up with the wrong screw but they were fine and the right screw screwed in easily and tightened up fine.

they usually want more threads in a shorter span, and my guess they are not different from the other recent housing screws and either 8x36 or 40...seems the 'old model' (large body,small threads) were 6x40, and I have a few stainless ones setting here, and its half and half?? some screw in BOTH an 8x36 or 8x40 and others will not,but ONLY in the 8x36........
over the years many "N" mounts for scopes also used the 8x40 threads....gun screws are normally NOT the same as good ,old hardware store screws................

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I've measured these screws with a thread gauge when making repairs in the past. The Old Model 44 mag, etc., barrels with the stud on the barrel uses a larger headed screw but smaller thread, a 6-36 (so is the rear site elevation screw by the way; the front site screw on single sixes is 6-40). The smaller headed current ejector screw is an 8-36.

But like rugerguy said, an 8-32 can interchange with an 8-36. That's because the threads are close but mostly because the screw is so short. On a longer screw you won't go much farther than 3/32" before it binds up. That's about how far the ejector screw threads into the barrel.

Bearcatlvr

Bearcat
Thanks again Hondo. I used an 8-32 bottom tap to clean up my barrel threads. Loctited and put back together , no screw stripping. The blue steel housing looks alot better.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Bearcatlvr said:
Thanks again Hondo. I used an 8-32 bottom tap to clean up my barrel threads. Loctited and put back together , no screw stripping. The blue steel housing looks alot better.

You're very welcome. But how did you ever find an 8x32 screw with such a long head on it?

Bearcatlvr

Bearcat
The ruger screw that came w/ the housing went right in after threading. The original screw on the gun is the one that was stripped. I dont know if it was crossed slightly from factory or what.

Latest posts