Calling all Super Blackhawk Owners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Hole Shooter

Single-Sixer
Ok guys.....I have had a serious case of Rugeritis for a couple of weeks now. As I understand from most of you here, the only way to rid myself of this is to go buy another Ruger.

I think a Super Blackhawk would probably remedy (temporarily anyway) my problem. I'm trying to decide between a stainless 4.62" or 5.5" barrel. I already have the Super Blackhawk Hunter (44 mag) with the 7.5" barrel and so I am looking at the 4.62" and the 5.5" for a knock around woods gun. I'm leaning towards the 4.62 simply for ease of carry in the woods. But I know there are probably other things I should consider.

If you have ever owned either of these fine firearms and can give me your thoughts, I would really appreciate it!

Many thanks,
HS

Chief 101

Hunter
There won't be enough difference in ballistics or accuracy between the two to make a dif so I say "get the one you want".

flatgate

Hawkeye
S45N has a fluted cylinder, whereas the S458N doesn't. Both have steel XR3-RED grip frames.

One advantage to getting either gun in stainless is that one can somewhat easily swap out the front sight blades.

flatgate

BlackEagle

Blackhawk
You should buy an Old Model if you really want to soothe the Rugeritis. This one was cut to exactly 5 inches, and is wearing real buffalo horn grips. It is a shooter, not a safe queen. Please dont cut one down like this, you can find them already cut :D

sbh-2.jpg

contender

Ruger Guru
All my Ruger 44 mags in SA are OM's and have either a 6-1/2" (Flattop) or 7-1/2" bbls. (Flattop & Supers.) I can not attest to a 44 mag in a shorter bbl,, but I DO have a bunch of other shorter bbled guns I enjoy,,,!

tiger955

Bearcat
I got a good deal on a used 4.65 bbl super a while back, carries nice, not a bad knock around gun, shoots ok. If I was buying new I think I would opt for the slightly longer 5.5 barrel. Compared to my 10.5 and my 7.5, this one seems a little too stubby for my tastes.

Greg F.

Single-Sixer
wildcatter said:
This would be my choice but 44 cal. would work to, if your not real picky!! :lol:
XD7P1031-II.jpg
[/url]

That's a nice looking 45 you have there, but I think you need to tighten your grip frame screws a little. There seems to be quite a gap between the grip frame and main frame. I think I can see part of the trigger showing in the gap?

Dale53

Blackhawk
Hole Shooter;
Keep in mind that YOU are the person that needs to be satisfied. Speaking personally, I prefer the 5½" barrel because I can simply shoot the longer barrel a bit better. It is still portable enough for me to carry without issue. Further, in Ohio where I live and have taken several deer, the State requires a barrel minimum length of 5" to hunt deer with. I want to be able to hunt deer with ANY of my field pistols and revolvers.

Stainless has a couple of advantages. First of all, they obviously require less maintenance and for a field pistol that has serious advantages. I am an old back packer and trying to maintain a blued revolver while on the trail in inclement weather can get to be a chore.

Further, Ruger silver solders the sights on blued guns and they take a gunsmith or someone with gunsmith skills to change the height of the front sight. If you prefer heavy bullets, then many times a sight change is necessary (the adjustable rear sight may not have enough movement for heavy bullets). On the other hand, the Ruger stainless single actions have a blued pinned on front sight that is relatively easy to change with several options. This is really not a minor advantage.

YMMV
Dale53

maxpress

Buckeye
If it was going to be your only i would say the 5.5. since you have a 7.5 i would go with the 4 5/8 to have the best of both worlds. 7.5 to target and the shorty for pakin. really like em all but i carry my shorty most.
As said earlier an inch dont make much difference in shooting but alot in hiking.

yankee7809

Single-Sixer
I love the way the 4 5/8 looks and handles ( as much as you can tell in a gunshop). But I wonder how running serious loads through it would effect the use of your hands and wrists for a few days :lol: All my .44s are longer barreled, shortest being a model 629 at 6". But lately I've gotten the bug for a shorty packing gun too.

gasmandave

Single-Sixer
Which ever you choose is cool, but seeing that you already have a maggie go with the 4 5/8 in SS. Weather won't be as big an issue.
JMHO

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=99985

100_0255.jpg

100_0257.jpg

Knuckles

Buckeye
SBH Stainless Steel 'shorty'........ a good complementary packing gun for your 'Hunter'.

I have a 4" Redhawk 45Colt to complement my SBH 'Hunter' 45Colt. :)
bigbore45s002.jpg

bigbore45s006.jpg

this is the exact thought I had the first time I saw the gun, I think someone tried to polish the aluminum grip frame and then had it re powder coated it, and that left rounded edges, instead of sharp machined surfaces to mate properly, strickly cosmetic. but that was what gave me my good reason to send it to Dave Clements for a #5 grip frame and a little action tuning and accurizing, then while he has it it is going to Turnbull for his excellent color case hardening on the new bisley hammer and the frame and gate. but as hard as it is to find a 4 5/8" 45 three screw, it was a good price!! what you see that looks like the trigger is a tiny chip exposing the polished aluminum frame. she is a shooter! !
Greg F. said:
wildcatter said:
This would be my choice but 44 cal. would work to, if your not real picky!! :lol:
XD7P1031-II.jpg
[/url]

That's a nice looking 45 you have there, but I think you need to tighten your grip frame screws a little. There seems to be quite a gap between the grip frame and main frame. I think I can see part of the trigger showing in the gap?

CraigC

Hawkeye
I prefer shorter barrels but that's just me. Here's my 4 5/8" converted to a Bisley and then gussied up a little by Clements.

P1010062.JPG

You really cain't go wrong with a super. IMO I would get the 5 1/2 in. barrel for a couple of reasons. First it's mid lenth barrel is a nice compromise between the 7 1/2 and the 4 5/8 , secondly it's the purdiest of the lot with the fluted cylinder really a sweet lookin Super. :D The fluted cylinder has that traditional look not a big fan of the solid cylinders although I do own one. ps

Vulcan Bob

Single-Sixer
I agree, you are the one that you have to please. I enjoy my five and a half incher and to me it has a good balance and shoot's very well. I've alway's prefered a blue revolver but the stainless model's are growing on me.