.454 Casull or .480 Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Considering these two calibers I find myself drawn to the .480. However I know I will download either to reasonable levels and I am already set up to load .45 colts.

Anyone have experience downloading the .480? Should I even try to be practical and go with the .454 loaded to hot .45 Colt?

pleadthe2nd

Single-Sixer
I would go with the 480, although I own neither , but of I was going to load down to 45 colt levels, I would just use my 45 colt

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
All my .45's are Vaqueros and I am looking to get an adjustable sighted gun. Also looking for a bit more than the old Colt round just because.

contender

Ruger Guru
I own a few 480's and a 454. I also own several 45's.

If shooting full power (factory level) loads,, the 480 has a better feeling recoil. More of a "push" vs. a "snap". You can load up & down to your levels. I find the accuracy of the 480 along with the pleasant shooting to be a good combination. Don't get me wrong,, the 454 can be downloaded,, to where you are more powerful than the 45's,, but still not as snappy as full power loads.

From your comments,, I'd look into the 480 for sure.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I own a few 480's and a 454. I also own several 45's.

If shooting full power (factory level) loads,, the 480 has a better feeling recoil. More of a "push" vs. a "snap". You can load up & down to your levels. I find the accuracy of the 480 along with the pleasant shooting to be a good combination. Don't get me wrong,, the 454 can be downloaded,, to where you are more powerful than the 45's,, but still not as snappy as full power loads.

From your comments,, I'd look into the 480 for sure.

I have to say you read into my thoughts well. I am leaning towards the larger bore, just because this isn't a practical purchase anyway!

DHD

Single-Sixer
By your admission this isn't a practical purchase, so it's a "I want one" purchase. You've got the 45 Colt already so you're set up to load and shoot it. I'm going to assume you don't have the 454 and may not have played with one. It is not a 45 Colt at all (I know you know that and all I really said is water is wet). A fully leaned on 454 is a beast to shoot if not because of fast recoil, then because of that blast. Mine is a FA83 and though ported, is a hoot to shoot. That thing comes back and up quick. I just tried downloading it and it shoots very very accurately with a bunch of HS6. Even though it's still accurate as I could hope for, I decided if I want to download it I'll just put the 45 Colt cylinder in.

Back to the first sentence: You've got the 45 Colt covered, so give the 480 a try. I have never shot one so I can't say for certain, but I suspect the 480 will be more enjoyable at the upper level. I'll say again that the 454 is a beast and my 454 is heavier than the SBH that I assume you're referring to.

dad45

Single-Sixer
I love the 480 I shoot the SBH's with a 410gr WFNGC at something like 1100fps or so, sending that sledgehammer downrange is a hoot and recoil is very manageable, I think the lighter projectiles provide a much stiffer recoil at least that's my perception

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Go with the .454 Casull. Ammo is easier to get and you'll never feel outdone by the 480.

Enigma

Hunter
SteelBlue said:
Go with the .454 Casull. Ammo is easier to get and you'll never feel outdone by the 480.

Yeah, but then every time he pulls the trigger on that .454, he'll think 'I coulda/shoulda bought the .480...' 8)

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
So I have pretty much decided on the .480. But now I fear I am actually considering straying from the Ruger line. If not a practical purchase, maybe a FA model 83.

I have shot a .454 out of a FA gun and I found the recoil manageable, exhilarating but snappier than I would want to enjoy frequently. I have read that the .480 in moderate loadings is more of a push and that this caliber doesn't rely on raw velocity as much as the .454.

The FA quality impressed me, but at the time I didn't think I needed it. I know Ruger single actions, can take them apart and rebuild them, have spare parts and find them functional. But now I am older and perhaps less wise...

contender

Ruger Guru
I own 3 of the Ruger480's and a FA 83 in 454 as well. Depending upon your purposes,, the Ruger is quite nice & well built. You can't go wrong with either one.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
contender said:
I own 3 of the Ruger480's and a FA 83 in 454 as well. Depending upon your purposes,, the Ruger is quite nice & well built. You can't go wrong with either one.

Good to know! This all started with a for sale post here for a Ruger .480 at a decent price. I held off to research the .480 vs. .454 and to attempt to regain my sanity and now it seems it has been spoken for. Doing a search of auctions there seem to be a lot more FA available, of course they have been making them longer (than the limited run of .48p and .454 Bisleys) and of course cost more.

DHD

Single-Sixer
The bulk of used FA83's for sale will be 454's. The reason isn't hard to figure out. If you can find one with the extra 45 Colt cylinder, that just adds to the fun.

Swiss watch comes to mind when describing them.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
DHD said:
The bulk of used FA83's for sale will be 454's. The reason isn't hard to figure out. If you can find one with the extra 45 Colt cylinder, that just adds to the fun.

Swiss watch comes to mind when describing them.

Good comparison. The one fault I have read about, related to the close tolerances, is one report of a FA gun not functioning in a dusty/sandy environment. The dust penetrated the action and caused the gun to be locked up.

isaactc

Bearcat
I purchased a Magnum Research BFR Bisley, 6" in .475 Linebaugh. I often run the .480 Ruger through it. I also have a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk ,480 with a 4 5/8" barrel. The little Ruger is fun to shoot, even with higher end loads. The BFR is a Pleasure to shoot either the .480 or .475 loadings, I bought mine from the Magnum research Custom Shop and had all of the sharp edges buffed off, a really nice trigger job, micarta grips, and engraved marking instead of roll stamping. All for about 1200-1400 less than the Freedom Arms 83. The gun exceeded every expectation. Consider BFR as well.

Quarterbore

Blackhawk
This is a fun topic. I went the opposite direction most are suggesting as I have the 7.5-inch Duper Redhawk and 6.5-inch Bisley Blackhawk in 454 Casull. These are certainly not guns for an inexperienced shooter and you don't go to the range and shoot off a hundred rounds for fun but they are get the job done no BS portable artillery.

If you have 45 Colts or 44 Mags then you have a "plinking" revolver to shoot for fun so for me the 454 was my choice for a gun to punch through either a tough critter or a 2-legged predator wearing body armor.

I have considered adding a 480 but I don't see anything the 480 can do that the 454 can but I guess you could flip that and say there isn't much or possibly anything the 454 can do that the 480 can do too.

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
isaactc said:
I purchased a Magnum Research BFR Bisley, 6" in .475 Linebaugh. I often run the .480 Ruger through it. I also have a Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk ,480 with a 4 5/8" barrel. The little Ruger is fun to shoot, even with higher end loads. The BFR is a Pleasure to shoot either the .480 or .475 loadings, I bought mine from the Magnum research Custom Shop and had all of the sharp edges buffed off, a really nice trigger job, micarta grips, and engraved marking instead of roll stamping. All for about 1200-1400 less than the Freedom Arms 83. The gun exceeded every expectation. Consider BFR as well.

I will check the BFR out. Thanks!

bnewberry

Single-Sixer
Quarterbore said:
This is a fun topic. I went the opposite direction most are suggesting as I have the 7.5-inch Duper Redhawk and 6.5-inch Bisley Blackhawk in 454 Casull. These are certainly not guns for an inexperienced shooter and you don't go to the range and shoot off a hundred rounds for fun but they are get the job done no BS portable artillery.

If you have 45 Colts or 44 Mags then you have a "plinking" revolver to shoot for fun so for me the 454 was my choice for a gun to punch through either a tough critter or a 2-legged predator wearing body armor.

I have considered adding a 480 but I don't see anything the 480 can do that the 454 can but I guess you could flip that and say there isn't much or possibly anything the 454 can do that the 480 can do too.

This has been fun!

338reddog

Single-Sixer
I went with the SBH 454. I haven't shot it alot yet. With 45 long colts it is very accurate. Im not loading 454 to its full capacity, but stiff loads are still manageable.
I too was looking at the add for the 480. Which still seems to be avail. I doubt you will go wrong with either one.
Jeff

Latest posts