What kind of accuracy ?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TJ11

Single-Sixer
I have a 3 inch .44 special and I'm shooting 240g bullets at 25 feet at a five inch bull free standing. Stout load of 7g of Unique. I don't expect Olympic target accuracy this is my horseback and fishing protection in Montana.

YU3FPyL.jpg

1ruger

Single-Sixer
It's hard to compare one gun from another due to many variances. I don't have a 3" 44 Special revolver to compare but I usually shoot 2"-2 1/2" groups from 10 yards with my 2 3/4" Security Six loaded with my handload of 158gr XTP @ 1,100 fps. That's standing and shooting double action in semi-weaver stance. I can usually improve the group a little if I shoot in single action.

Rclark

Hunter
I never shot that many into a target at one time :) . Looking at pictures of some of my targets shooting my Sheriff .44 Special, I was shooting 2"-3" (some better of course) at 10Y off hand with the Skeeter load (7.5g Unique under 240g SWC). These were 5-6 shot groups though! And of course shooting single action. What's this double action stuff? ;) ha .

All guns are different.... So agree, hard to compare!

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
What's wrong with that. Standing without a rest, I would say that is very good.

Now the big question, compared to what?

edit: Maybe not so good, because I was thinking 25 yards. :oops:

Snake45

Hawkeye
TJ11 said:
I have a 3 inch .44 special and I'm shooting 240g bullets at 25 feet at a five inch bull free standing. Stout load of 7g of Unique. I don't expect Olympic target accuracy this is my horseback and fishing protection in Montana.

YU3FPyL.jpg
From 25 feet, and shooting single action and very carefully, I'd expect all the holes to be inside the 10 ring--maybe even inside or touching the X ring.

If this is shooting double action and with some speed, I'd say it's pretty good. :wink:

TJ11

Single-Sixer
My five inch .44 S&W 629 keeps them all in the black DA but this 3 inch is problematic.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
What model 3" 44 Spl do you have, SA, Ruger, New Vaquero?

Shoot the gun two handed from a rest to know how the GUN will do first.

Then shoot it offhand to see how YOU can do. If they're vastly different, It's not the 3" barrel; you need to get used to holding and shooting the 3" barrelled gun.

I have the 3 3/4" Sheriff Model Ruger Vaquero. As Snake45 posted above, at 25 feet, it'll keep them all in that 10 ring or X ring.
When I do my part, they'll all be in the 10 ring at 25 yards as well. There's no accuracy problem with a 3" Ruger.

paul105

Single-Sixer
A couple months ago, I loaded up some 300gr Miss Bul Co Hammers over 20.0gr of WW296 to test for accuracy in my 2 3/4" S&W M69 (5 shot L Frame .44 Mag). Wasn't happy with the load (about 4" at 25 yds rested), so I shot the rest double action standing using two hands at 7 and 12 yds. At 7 yds, as fast as I could acquire the front sight on the bottom of the diamond.

1a%20300gr%20Hammer%207%20yds%20IMG_1377.jpg

A bit more deliberate at 12 yds.

1a%20300gr%20Hammer%2012%20yds%20IMG_1375.jpg

001a%20m69%20IMG_1753.jpg

Rclark

Hunter
Well, was out at the range today with my 3" .44 Special GP 100. Did the 10 yards test and yes, SA I can keep tight.... But tried some DA for the first time and while I hit the paper plate target, the shots were 'all over' that plate! Not much better than a shotgun. Respect you guys that have the massive finger 'power' to pull through that DA and keep on target.... Plus it 'hurt' the web of my hand shooting this way. SA much more pleasant ... and accurate. Then went popping targets from 20Y to 60Y with it. No problem SA ... DA was useless exercise for accuracy shooting. Anyway, burned 50 Skeeter loads, then went on to shoot one of my New Vaqueros .45 Colt and .22LR Single six. Good day at the range!

Flyover_Country

Bearcat
paul105 said:
A couple months ago, I loaded up some 300gr Miss Bul Co Hammers over 20.0gr of WW296 to test for accuracy in my 2 3/4" S&W M69 (5 shot L Frame .44 Mag). Wasn't happy with the load (about 4" at 25 yds rested), so I shot the rest double action standing using two hands at 7 and 12 yds. At 7 yds, as fast as I could acquire the front sight on the bottom of the diamond.

1a%20300gr%20Hammer%207%20yds%20IMG_1377.jpg

A bit more deliberate at 12 yds.

1a%20300gr%20Hammer%2012%20yds%20IMG_1375.jpg

001a%20m69%20IMG_1753.jpg

A 300 grain bullet from a .44 Mag snubbie is intended for a large, heavy target with a large kill zone, and shot at ranges measured in feet. Your load and shooting is more than up to snuff to do that according to your results. All of your 7 yard shots would kill anything larger than a rabbit, and if you're shooting a rabbit, you're probably not using maximum power 300 grain rounds in a snubbie .44 Magnum.

I have learned through growing up being forced to hunt deer with shotguns (initially smoothbores, later rifled barrels when they came out on the market) that "minute of target at typical shooting ranges" accuracy is all that is needed. Shooting 5-6" groups at 50 yards with a smoothbore shotgun and Foster slugs is disappointing at the range, but will more than kill deer with a 10" diameter kill zone, when typically you see them at 20-30 yards in the woods where you hunt.

TJ11

Single-Sixer
Thanks for the comments. I will just keep plugging away at it DA till I feel comfortable from horseback.

6DzlYT8.jpg

Looks like you have everything under control, learning how to shoot your gun from a horse is very different from someone who is shooting in a bullseye competition. Practice shooting the gun for the type of shooting you're going to use the gun for, I would recommend taking a saddle to the range and practice shooting one handed to your left, right, and in front of you while seated. To each his own but I'm always amazed at how many people go to the range and stand still trying to hit the x ring with their carry gun and never vary from that position. Putting the gun in a rest will get it sighted in but the rest is up to you.

Shooting off of a horse is an exercise in futility if the horse is not accustomed to the blast! I doubt you will get groups like that from horseback. Practice is good, getting to know your gun is excellent. Good luck!
gramps

grobin

Blackhawk
To shoot from a horse you first need to get the horse's trust and tolerance. Without that you need a good orthopedic guy as you are going to get thrown a lot. Except for one def horse I don't know of any who will tolerate a shot that gore directly over their head. Screwing around with a saddle at the range may look kool or simply stupid, but is no substitute nor preparation for shooting from a horse! You must spend the hours shooting from the horse it takes to win the horse's confidence and get yourself skilled. BTW Good Luck!

TJ11

Single-Sixer
The horse would be just transportation in the best case. Most contact has been near camp on foot.

Cheers