RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:59 pm 
Bearcat

I hope all the Ruger's in my safe dont mistreat the old Colt. I often get made fun of by friends because I rarely will buy a gun if its not a Ruger. Sure there's plenty of great guns out there but Ive always been a Ruger guy.

I visited with a friend of mine I met about 3 months ago. Older gentleman whos lived all across the U.S.
While talking about 2 months ago. We got to talking about guns. He said, "Let me show you something!"

He brought out a really nice Colt 1917 Army revolver. Some blueing wear on end of barrel but no rust and functional with what appears to be an original holster.

He told me the story of how it belonged to his brother that was a President of motorcycle club in California back years ago.

His brother had passed away a few years back and left him this gun and a Colt Mustang.

He didnt know anything about the 1917 so we did some research and I loved the history of the gun especially how it came to chamber the .45 ACP or rimless .45 with use of clips.

Today I stopped by and spoke with him for awhile and he said I wanna sell that old 1917.
I told him where we live it would be a hard sell and would probably have to go online to be sold.

We researched what they had sold for and before I left he said Are you sure you dont want it?
I told him Id love to but I couldnt pay him what its worth but agreed to sell it for him online.

He said Nah, Id rather it go to someone who I know would appreciate it and treat it right. He told me a price and I refused. I said thats too low. You could sell more way more. He said I know but I dont need it and I know you'll take good care of it. I reluctantly bought it. I just didnt feel right buying for the price he told me. He said I dont need the money but im gonna use this to buy some paint for the hallways. I still didnt feel right. He just laughed and said take it home and take care of it, I'd rather a true friend have it than a stranger.

I've sat and stared at the gun alot tonight. Thinking of the stories he told of his brother. Wondering where and what this gun has been though. Knowing that this gun will spend a lifetime in my gun safe. Getting taken out once in awhile to fire a few rounds.

I've been debating on a full restore down the road when I can afford it or just leave it be and enjoy it for its age and beauty.

I'd post a picture if I knew how. The picture hosting I used to use photobucket has turnd to garbage and now I have no clue how to post photos here.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:28 am 
Single-Sixer

Leave the revolver as it is.

Nice find, enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:18 am 
Bearcat

A friend brought one to the range not long ago. First one I had ever seen. Always wanted one. It shot great. Now I would like one myself. Too expensive for me too. I will probably never get one.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:56 am 
Blackhawk

Cool story for picking up cool gun.

Enjoy it!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:18 am 
Hawkeye

Gator89 wrote:
Leave the revolver as it is.

Nice find, enjoy.

Yup, leave the old soldier alone, and shoot it in good health. :wink:

Steel cuts flesh. Steel cuts bone. Steel does not cut steel. --Stephen Hunter, The 47th Samurai.

We will march on a road of bones. --Hunter S. Thompson.

Sat Cong!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am 
Single-Sixer

Leave it as is and shoot it on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:50 pm 
Blackhawk

+1 for leave it as is

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:36 pm 
Hunter

Since it is a 1917 it may have some interesting provenance, perhaps dating back to WWI. It might be worth the cost to have Colt "letter" it to see when it was made and where it was first shipped.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:29 pm 
Hunter

Don't restore it and dont pay the fortune to letter it. I once owned a unfired one. The letter wont tell you much or anything more than that it shipped with another hundred thousand or more and that for $150s!
I own a 1917 S&W and years ago have owned another three I think. I also would like to see a picture of the condition but roughly speaking I would say you would spend $300 to make your gun worth $400 LESS than you could sell it for now!
That's bad arithmetic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:15 pm 
Bearcat

Thanks for the input. After admiring it for awhile today. I figured leaving it the way it is.
Shoot it once in awhile. Clean it and put it up.
If I ever figure out how to post pics again. I'll share a pic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:44 pm 
Hawkeye

Good decision.

If you leave it "as is" it will always be the gun you got from your friend.

If you have it "restored" it will just be . . . another gun.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:12 am 
Hawkeye

Wow! I went through several Colt M-1917s when they were dirt cheap! Seems like the going price then was from $19.95 and up.

I bought an old New Service, ex-RNWMP (Royal Northwest Mounted Police) revolver originally .455 Eley rebored to .45 Colt. Price for "select" condition: $34.95! And this by mail order.

Bob Wright

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:35 am 
Hawkeye

How long ago was that, Bob?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :wink: :wink: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:10 am 
Hunter

There is a box for a Colt 1917 on Gun Broker. Ad says “New Old Stock”.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:52 pm 
Hawkeye

AS nice as you describe it, I'd also recommend leaving it original!

Does it have any military markings? Is the serial # in the crane different from the # on the butt (if there is one)?

You can look up the serial # here: https://www.colt.com/serial-lookup

Printout and keep your 1st post with the gun for its provenance.

CRPA Life
CRPC Life
SASS Life
SWCA
RCA