Need taller SP101 front sight (two different guns).

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Tallbald

Buckeye
Shot both my SP101's ( a 2 1/4 inch DAO and a 3 inch) this morning with factory 125 grain +P's and 158 grain FMJ. Both shot about 8-10 inches high at 21 feet. I need taller front sights on both.
Is there a factory replacement or an aftermarket front sight available taller than what they put on it back when they were born?
Thanks. Don.

Major T

Blackhawk
The spec sheet says "pinned replaceable front sight." Surely they have a taller front sight available. Give Ruger a call. I have found their receptionists most helpful.

Jack

Tallbald

Buckeye
Thanks. In the past Ruger has been great to me and maybe they still will be. Will call them some time soon. Don.

Tallbald

Buckeye
As a side note I did a search on replacement sights (front) for the SP101 and the dot fronts and glowing ones are .... my goodness!!!... 30 to 50 dollars. Too rich for a man of my means. Hmm. maybe some 1/8 inch flat stock, hacksaw and a file are in order.... Don

charlesappel

Single-Sixer
Tallbald said:
As a side note I did a search on replacement sights (front) for the SP101 and the dot fronts and glowing ones are .... my goodness!!!... 30 to 50 dollars. Too rich for a man of my means. Hmm. maybe some 1/8 inch flat stock, hacksaw and a file are in order.... Don
It might be easier to start out with a tall pinned Smith and Wesson front sight. It would be a lot less work.

The Smith sight that you will find was just a little too high on my three inch rear sighted SP 101 for most loads in .327 Fed.
Smith's real gold bead looked great as far as sight picture goes but was not quite right either, then wobbled sideways a little too after I drilled it. I have one more to try, but I think I will find a good reload that matches another accurate factory load before my next attempt.
It is a wonder that someone wouldn't fill the needgap here.....EDM machining a piece of plate woul be pretty economical and they would sell here I would think.

Tallbald

Buckeye
I'm going to call Ruger in the morning to see what's available if anything. Maybe as suggested, a front sight for a different revolver would fit and can be filed down. I just need a simple plain ramp steel front sight I can file to bring into point of aim with the loads I carry. Custom EDM work would be fast for sure, but still pricey for me.
Thanks friends. Don

Tallbald

Buckeye
I contacted Ruger Customer Service today. There is indeed a taller front blade sight and 2 are on their way to me this week. They have always been great to me, and I always thank them for what they do. Don.