Good sights for Blackhawk?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
I just got a really good deal on a Blackhawk 40/10 convertable. Shot a little in the snow pretty impressive. The black on black sights suck! I need to get some night sights or anything better. I've tried paint on other guns and it's at best not great. Any suggestions appreacated!!

daveg.inkc

Hunter
Try a "One Ragged Hole" rear peep sight. They come in 2 hole sizes. 7/32". 9/32" They replace the notched blade sight. Very easy to swap. I keep the whole assembly ready to change while shooting. You simply focus on front sight!

grobin

Blackhawk
I've looked on line for sights and So far as I can find there aren't any. I looked for hiviz as I have them on a couple other guns. No luck. I'll see if I can find others.

Found One Ragged Hole and a hiviz from the company. Hopefully both will fit. I'll post when they get in.

CraigC

Hawkeye
It's baffling that all black target sights were once universally considered to be the best of all but nowadays everybody wants a splash of flashy color and lights. :roll:

sixshot

Buckeye
Depends on what you're shooting at. For target shooting at paper black on black is still pretty hard to beat. If you are shooting USPSA you will seldom see black on black, almost every one uses fiber optic sights so you can find them faster on moving targets, etc. For hunting black sights can be a problem when you are shooting early or late & the target is standing in the shade or brush. Pretty hard to get a good sight picture against a dark hide in a dark background with black sights, many of us want some contrast, especially when some get a little older.
The rear peeps can help quite a bit for focus with older eyes, I sell quite a few of them & also sell fiber optic fronts for the pinned Rugers & S&W guns. Still, black on black has it's place many times if the front sight matches up size wise to the rear sight. Most all of my front sights are narrowed to 1/10" from the original .125" factory, it helps!
Here's a Rock Chuck I shot yesterday with my 8 shot 327 Blackhawk. The front sight has been narrowed to 1/10" & then painted white & then bright orange. I had to get on him really fast, he ran out of the sagebrush & up the Lava rocks & stopped right at his den hole. When they do this you've got about 3 seconds to make a shot. I was on my 4 wheeler & shut it off real quick, grabbed the 327 & punched him with a 135 gr. Ferminator HP through the head at 32 yds. I found that orange sight really quick, black on black, maybe? The holster is my great Barranti cross draw & one of his 10 round cartridge holders.

E8xNyBu.jpg

Dick

yes being a welder for 45 years has not done my eyes any favors, and Black on black is still my favorite for paper, but for hunting the fiber optics have really helped me, but as I get keep getting older, and my eyes more and more starved for light, I'm even turning red dots. They work pretty good on my revolvers with the mini Weigand mount up to about 357. I even have one that is holding zero great on my 5.5" 45 Colt Blackhawk, but I am keeping it 1000 fps and under with 250 ish grain bullets.

It may suck getting old, but it sure beats the hell outa the alternative! I will say if I woulda listen to the old timers back when I was young knowing I would make it this long, I sure woulda changed a lot of the things I did to accelerate all this chit I'm feeling and dealing with today!

contender

Ruger Guru
Dick's pictures were for callshot,,, as he only has one half good eye,, and the glass one was last seen winking at him from the south end of a north bound rock chuck.