Bought a new gun with no rifling, single six .32

Help Support Ruger Forum:

djw54

Single-Sixer
Jeb,
It's a 32 center fire, so 22 mag wouldn't work. 38 special can be done, but $$$.
Surprised Ruger wouldn't put a 327 barrel on it.

JEB308

Bearcat
djw54 said:
Jeb,
It's a 32 center fire, so 22 mag wouldn't work. 38 special can be done, but $$$.
Surprised Ruger wouldn't put a 327 barrel on it.

Duhh! i can't believe i said that. I guess it was wishful thinking. A 327 barrel would work for me but being a fixed sight may give a problem to where they can't. I just don't know. Why wouldn't they keep parts like that around for things such as this.

Onty

Single-Sixer
JEB308 said:
Anyone ever have this happen. I just picked up a stainless SS in .32 mag
Which I was told new never shot a safe queen. I fired it this week end
An the bullets were tumbling bad. Had me puzzled until I started to slug the barrel and that's when I discovered it has no rifling in the barrel. Do you think Ruger will make it good.
Story I found on one of forums:

Decades ago, in testing station at S&W folks noticed that one 38 Special revolver made one hole group (at 25 yds, if I remember correctly). Just very close look reveled that more than one round passed through the target. Technician started scratching their heads why that particular revolver was so accurate. Well, it turned out that barrel somehow didn't go through rifling process. They repeated test few times, and results were same again; one hole group, just tad larger than bullet dia. When they tested revolver at 50 yds, bullets were all over the target.

For a while, I was thinking about getting 38-40/10MM BH, and installing on it 357 cylinder bored to 41 Special. Well, it turned out that to find such revolver in my neck of the woods was mission impossible...