mr. bisley is going back...picture added...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mus408

Hunter
Only new Ruger I have had issues with and sent back was my Alaskan.
My other Ruger revolvers priced much less have been great.

They need to tighten up the QC or just run everything back through production twice before shipping!

dougader

Hunter
It's entirely unacceptable to receive a gun in the shape these gents have described here. How does a company even let something like that out the door? I have a mind to stop buying factory guns and going custom, BFR or Freedom Arms.

I wonder what the barrel on my 480 SBH looks like with a good bore scope. I can tell you it looks like they overheated the front of the barrel when they soldered on the front sight base... and the only reason my grips fit is because I won a Christmas drawing for some handfitted walnut grips by Zane at Lone Star Custom Grips; beautiful walnut donated by Steve, the famous primo walnut hunter who posts on the Single Actions site.

ebg3

Bearcat
Talked to Ruger tech today and I need another barrel to fix the ejector housing screw. They are working on fixing the barrel issue with the 480's and 454's. Tech said it will be a couple/few weeks before they get it sorted out and have any new barrels. I was told upper management was aware of the barrel problems and they are really trying to get it figured out. The last barrel they put on was much better than the original but it was still not really great. Evidently they are trying to get the process even better so barrels should be good to go soon. Cleardatum's gun and my gun are not the only ones with barrel problems. I would wager that anything out there now has got some barrel issues. It just depend on closely you look at the bore. Mine was obvious just like the photo cleardatum posted earlier.
I do have confidence that they will get my gun fixed and I look forward to getting it back soon.

ebg3

Bearcat
Kevin, no pics but the front of the ejector housing was only touching the barrel at the top. There was a gap on the bottom from the front back at least 1/3 of the way. I really did not notice it at home because I was not looking for it. After I shot 20 rounds, the ejector housing had started slipping forward and there was a gap where the housing meets the frame. I'm sure the housing would have launched after a little more shooting. When I took the housing off and screwed the screw in the barrel alone, it was obvious the hole had been tapped at a bad angle. Sad.

ebg3

Bearcat
The tech told me when they do get a barrel for my gun he is personally going to walk it down the line to make sure everything is done right. That sounds really good to me. I can't wait to get it back so I can try to wear it out at the range!

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
good luck to you! i will pray for a good outcome. mine is not going back. did they just hope that everything would be ok? doesn't work that way in real life... i don't want to sound like sour grapes, but this should have never happened. keep us posted.

PM9

Bearcat
JJ_Miller_480 said:
I'm calling BS on this one…………go buy a SW………………..JJ

Go over the the S&W forums and you will find dozens of posts speaking to defects in their Performance Center guns that leave the factory in unacceptable condition. I have had a couple go back myself. Both had very visible defects. Great customer service because they have had so much practice repairing returns?
In my world, everybody that touches that gun before it leaves the factory should sign off on an inspection sheet and a copy of that should be included with every gun.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
PM9 said:
JJ_Miller_480 said:
I'm calling BS on this one…………go buy a SW………………..JJ

In my world, everybody that touches that gun before it leaves the factory should sign off on an inspection sheet and a copy of that should be included with every gun.
yes! like a race car or an airplane. this is not a tinker toy they're sending out...

steelshooterco

Single-Sixer
Kind of reminds me of the old big 3 (Chevy, Chrysler & Ford) back in the 70's, quality had become abysmal, and then I saw a funny looking Honda in a dealership, looked like a kids toy.

Took a couple of years for the toy to grow up and begin to challenge the Big 3, this kind of reminds me of this all over again....

Maybe why some people are now making revolvers (Kimber, Colt, CZ Dan Wesson's. etc...), poor quality opens the door for the competition to slip in and if you don't wake up take over.

ebg3

Bearcat
Got a call from Ruger the other day and they informed me they could not repair my gun. Seems they finally installed a good barrel and when they were fitting a new grip frame, they over blended and made the frame to thin. They told me the frame was unusable and will be destroyed. My only option is a new gun of same make and model.
Tech assured me he would find a gun with a good barrel or rebarrel a gun they have. On an up-note, it sounds like they have figured the barrels out and and can now make them without the pits and voids.

dwayne

Single-Sixer
To be clear, I have been a Ruger customer, fan and supporter for nearly 5 decades. But, clearly, something has happened and there has been a significant downward drift in Ruger's revolver quality. My theory is that you can trace this back to the implementation of the Lean Production System. Zealous production engineers quickly replace craftsmen (e.g., gunsmiths) with "assemblers". Attention to detail as a part of the manufacturing process is seen as a design failure. Quality morphs from feel and experience to "failure mode effects analysis" by some number cruncher that wouldn't know thread choke from a frizzen spring. The brainwashed will tell you this is impossible. I'd say, OK -- how's it working out for you? And, it's a dang poor company that justifies poor quality with "excellent customer service".

pokey074

Bearcat
Lipsey's Blackhawk flat top convertible .45 Colt/.45ACP blued: front sight base fell off. Ruger paid to have it sent back. Got it back, front sight base fell off AGAIN! It's been at Ruger for three weeks or so now. I called and they said it went out for a new barrel and a complete re-blue.

Lipsey's Blackhawk flat top convertible .357 Mag/9mm: front sight is canted noticeably to the left (overtightened barrel?). Trigger is great though. Will have to see if it shoots straight before I look into sending it back.

Too bad Ruger's QC doesn't match their customer service.

ebg3

Bearcat
I'm still looking forward to getting my(a) gun back. I wonder what will be wrong with the new one. I think if there is a problem I'll sell it unfired with brass, dies, and holster and just be done with it. We'll see...

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
ebg3 said:
I wonder what will be wrong with the new one.
this is my fear. i'm feeling like sending it back lately, but i may continue leaving bad enough alone. no word from the ceo, btw. :D

Personally I never had a problem with any Ruger revolver that Ruger has not made right. I haven't bought a new one in maybe 15 years tho. I have no less than 12 all
shooters. Seems as of late they are having issues with QC all companies hit rough patches when in growth spurts. There is one thing that has not changed tho, they make
a good gun for a fair price. In a manufacturing process not all guns are created equal
it is the nature of the beast. When a company makes over 1 million a year there will be issues. I never ordered a revolver I prefer to go to a show case and pick on I LIKE OUT.
YMMV. ps

ebg3

Bearcat
cleardatum said:
ebg3 said:
I wonder what will be wrong with the new one.
this is my fear. i'm feeling like sending it back lately, but i may continue leaving bad enough alone. no word from the ceo, btw. :D
I have lost all confidence in Ruger. The only way I would buy another Ruger is if I could thoroughly examine the gun before purchase. My dad has a single seven that won't fire a full cylinder without misfires. One or two primer strikes will be on the edge of the primer and won't ignite. It needs to go back for a new cylinder. They really have a problem that goes beyond QC.

black029

Single-Sixer
When I bought my Redhawk 45 Long colt/45 ACP I was lucky enough to fondle three at the dealers. Obviously, I chose the best, and it was the best by a longshot. The other two were not so good.

kimber-45

Bearcat
My 45LC/45ACP Bisley came with the wrong rear sight blade and shot 12" high at 50ft.
Got a shorter blade with white outline on ebay and called it a day.
Your problem is considerably more serious. Let them fix it.

cleardatum

Single-Sixer
how many chances do they get? i've given them three, and it comes back with different problems each time, except for the barrel. it's been bad every time. i should conduct a poll, maybe?