Here's a scope mount I've never seen .....

Help Support Ruger Forum:

hittman

Staff member
Bob, why do you suppose someone would use this mount instead of the factory drilled holes the Hawkeye's came with?

I'm guessing that mount would fit a variety of Rugers, and possibly others. But still, wouldn't using the factory drilled holes be better? More secure? Simpler?

Never seen one in person, probably have the magazine, but never noticed the curved spur on the rearward side that straddles the hammer.
I have 2 or 3 Phantom scopes around, gun show pickups, but few mounts.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
hittman said:
Bob, why do you suppose someone would use this mount instead of the factory drilled holes the Hawkeye's came with?

I'm guessing that mount would fit a variety of Rugers, and possibly others. But still, wouldn't using the factory drilled holes be better? More secure? Simpler?

My thinking is that was sold for a variety of Rugers, most of which were not drilled and tapped.

But what do I know? I've never scoped a handgun.

Bob Wright

hittman

Staff member
Thanks Bob. This pic is the cover of the Dec. 1962 Guns & Ammo magazine.

I'd be interested in buying one or two of these scope mounts if anybody knows where one is hiding!

p.s. ..... I've never used a scoped handgun either!

hittman

Staff member
gtxmonte said:
Hard to see how that could be remotely solid on the reciever

Agreed. Here's a poor quality pic but it's all I could muster today. :lol:

This is the only other pic I have about the mount.

Here is one that is similar. Appears you would attach it using the existing screw hole for the adjustable sight. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weigand-Combat-RRMINIB-WEIG-A-TINNY-RUGER-Revolver-Mini-Scope-Mount-BLACK-/142242235779?hash=item211e4c4583:g:QUQAAOSw5cNYdqV6

tuner

Bearcat
Bought a Phantom scope for my dad for his model 29 Smith when they first came out many years ago. The mount that is shown in the picture is the same style as the one that came with the Phantom for the M29. One of the problems with that mount was that there was not enough clearance between the cylinder and the top of the frame. Dad had to thin out the mount to get the cylinder to rotate without touching the mount; that weakened the unit and it cracked when the scope mounting screws were tightened. Wound up making a custom mount and having it screwed to the barrel which worked well. That scope finally failed years later when I had it mounted on a side grip scope mount for a 1911, the cross hairs rotated about 30 degrees and it went in the land fill.