Security Six 357 Impulse Buy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

shakyshoot

Bearcat
I've been saying my next gun would be a 44 Mag or 45 Colt. I've also been saying "no more guns this year." Well my range had this stainless Ruger Security Six .357 at a reasonable price. ($ 399) It's pretty similar to the only other centerfire revolver I own, the GP100, so maybe not the most rational purchase. But people who own them tend to be fanatical about them. I never see a "what .357 should I get" thread that doesn't have at least one response of "Don't buy a GP100 til you've checked out a used Security Six." After I checked it out and dry fired it I had to have it. The single action trigger is a DREAM and a super crisp 3 lb 11 Oz. Double action is very smooth and has a much shorter pull than the GP100, with a 7 lb 11 oz pull. The gun was made in 1977. Lockup and timing are perfect, and the bore and chambers look good. The finger grooves of the Pachmayr grips line up with my hand a little better than the Hogues on the GP100. Haven't shot it yet, since I looked at it on the way out of the range.

This shows the Securiity Six on top and the GP100 at the bottom. Both are 4" barrels. The GP's frame is just a bit bigger and heavier.

DSC01261.JPG

Quote: {I've also been saying "no more guns this year."}

That hasn't worked out for me too well either. Bought 4 so far. Decided I've somehow got to rephrase that.

But if you are going to cheat a Security Six is a good one to pick.

tedwhite

Bearcat
I guess I missed that saying: Don't buy a GP100 till you've checked out a used Security Six (or words to that effect). Why is that? Is it a better gun? Cheaper?

shakyshoot

Bearcat
tedwhite said:
I guess I missed that saying: Don't buy a GP100 till you've checked out a used Security Six (or words to that effect). Why is that? Is it a better gun? Cheaper?

I've seen a lot of people say that the Security Six is a better gun than the GP100, but not sure how much of that is due to the phenomenon of "the older one was better." I haven't shot mine yet so I don't know. I love my GP100 and don't expect to ever part with it.
I don't think the Security Six is any cheaper. It's hard to compare, since the Sixes are all 30+ years old. Most run about $400-$450, and you should be able to get a used GP100 for that.

tedwhite

Bearcat
Thanks, shakyshoot. I have often heard the older is better and sometimes it is. Over on the S&W forum, and apparently when Smith began reissuing some of their classics (Models 36 and 60 come to mind) there was virtually unanimous agreement among those folks that the newer models weren't as well made. The gunsmith over at the lgs seems a knowledgeable sort and next time I get over there I'll ask him about the Security Six vs GP100.

Terry T

Buckeye
I don't think a Security Six (Speed Six or Service Six) is better than a GP-100 or the GP-100 better than the Six series (and I have bunches of both) but the Six series is lighter, smaller, and therefore handier.
I think that's the reasoning behind the statement "Don't buy a GP-100 before you try a Security Six".

The Six series corresponds more to the S&W 'K' frame size and the GP-100 more to the S&W 'L' frame size.
However, the Ruger Six series double actions are much more durable than a S&W 'K' frame when it comes to full power .357 mag. loads.
Terry T

bayou5252

Single-Sixer
Great buy, and great revolver. I bought mine when Carter was in the WH. Thousands of rounds though it, but you could never tell by its appearance or tight lock-up. Here's a pic:

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine for many years to come.

sasu

Single-Sixer
Count me in. This one I saved from Scotland just before the handgun confiscation.

DSCN11340001.jpg

Dienekes

Single-Sixer
Carried either a Service Six or Security Six (concealed) most of my career, which included instructing. Took the armorer's course as well. No idea of the rounds fired but overhauled the guns and replaced barrels on both over the years. Had the options of any Smith revolvers, Glock or SIG. Stayed with the Rugers right up to retirement, and felt very well armed. Shot them pretty well, too...

Still have a "couple" around. Probably the best duty wheelgun ever made for the long haul. Not pretty, but tough and reliable. Also have a very smooth GP-100 which makes full .357 loads a bit easier to take.

Hard to beat a "Six".