Blackhawk Flattop 44 Spl vs Super Blackhawk 44 Mag Size

Help Support Ruger Forum:

big-blue

Bearcat
Can anyone post size comparison picture(s) showing side-by-side size comparison of the Flattop 44Spl Blackhawk and the 44 Mag Super Blackhawk with same/similar barrel length. Trying to get an idea of just how much difference is and haven't found both at same place locally to compare...
- Thanks

gunzo

Hunter
I don't know how to post another topic, but if you go down this section about 23 threads & look at "size of om 357" by woodperson, you'll see a pic & a drawing that splains it pretty good. Hope this helps.

gunzo

Hunter
:oops: I guess I should've mentioned that a flattop 44 special has basically the same external dimensions as the old model 357.

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
I'll tell you this: Photographs and drawings still don't convey the true difference. Only your trained hand really describes the difference.

Was going to post photos, but Plutobucket is down again.

Bob Wright

Sugar River

Buckeye
Can't do photos at the moment but these weights may be instructive.

FT .44 Spec, 4 5/8" SS - 2.59 lbs (Blue version is exactly same weight)
FT .44 Spec, 5.5" Bisley - 2.82
FT .44 Mag, 6.5" 50th Anniv - 2.91
3 Screw SBH, 7.5" (1968) - 2.97

pisgah

Buckeye
Bob Wright said:
I'll tell you this: Photographs and drawings still don't convey the true difference. Only your trained hand really describes the difference.

Was going to post photos, but Plutobucket is down again.

Bob Wright

Bob's got it. Visually, it is very hard to discern any real difference, even with two examples lying side by side. The hand can tell, but then it is more a matter of balance than any drastic difference in weight or dimension -- mainly just "feel". I'd describe that feel as "livelier" with the smaller frame. I'd say I'd like a small-frame .44 Magnum, but that might edge toward being a bit too "lively" in the shooting! Dang near perfect for the standard .45 Colt, .44 Special or .357.

Slenk

Single-Sixer
I have a SBH 44 magnum with 4.62 barrel . And a BH flattop 44 spl. with 4.62 barrel.
They both fit the same holsters . There is not a lot of difference in the size, like it has been said it is the balance and feel .

street

Hunter
Here is the size difference of the frames. The new model flattops are the same size as the Old Model Flattops and the Super Blackhawk frame is the same size as the 1973 New Model. The cylinder for the Super Blackhawk will be longer then the 1973 New Model. Of course the grip frames will be different.

412424229.jpg

I will post a little photo-essay showing the differences in dimensions. It's difficult to photograph the differences, but far easier to "feel" the differences. The Flattop has a much smaller "feeling" gripframe, which makes the whole works seem more trim. The revolvers shown, a 4-5/8" Super Blackhawk with the white grips, and a 4-5/8" Flattop with the red grips. Remember, these short-barreled Supers have a Blackhawk gripframe, where the longer-barreled Supers have a dragoon gripframe, which would be even larger, in all dimensions.

Both muzzles were flush while photgraphing both revolvers...

Frame window is larger on the Super...

Notice the larger frame window on the Super, causes the rear sight to be slightly farther to the rear...

The gripframe is obviously more meaty on the Super...

The overall length is roughly 3/8" longer on the Super...

WAYNO.

edited to add...Since the photobucket fiasco, I'm trying to replace relevant photos via postimage...

GarrettJ

Bearcat
Kind of like this OM .357 and NM .45. I have to look really close to tell the difference, and they feel pretty similar.

But the all other things being equal, the .357 should be heavier as the .45 cylinder and barrel have more metal machined out. So the "small" .357 ends up feeing about the same as the "large" .45.

7C25560D-6E98-4B81-A7A5-7D4A6F306BC4_zpsdhhj1ekl.jpg

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
Here is the photo to which I alluded earlier. the big .45 Blackhawk is on the left, while the petite .44 Special Flat Top is to the right:

Now see the difference?

Bob Wright

P89DC

Single-Sixer
Looking closely at the most excellent photos it seems the big difference is grip frame (and the flat top, of course). I find it hard to detect the differences in cylinder and window size from a few feet away.

P89DC said:
Looking closely at the most excellent photos it seems the big difference is grip frame (and the flat top, of course). I find it hard to detect the differences in cylinder and window size from a few feet away.

And as we agree, at a glance, the difference is minimal. But in use, there is a big difference.

WAYNO.