Trouble With A Brand New Ruger Redhawk

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Seaweed02

Bearcat
Hello all. I just joined this forum today. I also just bought a brand new, not used, Ruger Redhawk with a 4 inch barrel. I think it is beautiful, but the trigger seems to stick sometimes. Quite often actually. I have never fired it. I brought it home today, put some A-Zoom snap caps in it, and began dry firing it a few hundred times. As I did it more and more the sticking seems to occur more and more often. The trigger doesn't rebound and therefore the cylinder and trigger get stuck. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Tip

Single-Sixer
Welcome to the best gathering of Rugerphiles anywhere!
I haven't had that experience but, someone here surely will come along to be of help.
Oftentimes, the best solution for an uncommon issue is to return the gun to Ruger with a detailed explanation. You'd want to contact them first for a shipping label and further instructions.
I believe you'll find Ruger Customer Service will make it right. We'd like to hear how it turns out, too. :D

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
It MIGHT be that you are not allowing the trigger to go all the way forward, resetting the action. So, first,,, slow down, dry fire it, and let your finger come forward until it comes off the trigger. See if that cures it.
If not, the next thing to do is take your manual, & do a field stripping & cleaning. Brake cleaner in a spray can can be your friend here too. Clean the internals, then apply a light lube & reassemble the gun & try again.
If those two things do not work, then, a polite call to Ruger may be in order. Politely explain what you have done & request a return shipper on their dime as the gun is new.If there is a problem, Ruger will take care of it.

Seaweed02

Bearcat
contender said:
Welcome to the Forum!
It MIGHT be that you are not allowing the trigger to go all the way forward, resetting the action. So, first,,, slow down, dry fire it, and let your finger come forward until it comes off the trigger. See if that cures it.
If not, the next thing to do is take your manual, & do a field stripping & cleaning. Brake cleaner in a spray can can be your friend here too. Clean the internals, then apply a light lube & reassemble the gun & try again.
If those two things do not work, then, a polite call to Ruger may be in order. Politely explain what you have done & request a return shipper on their dime as the gun is new.If there is a problem, Ruger will take care of it.

That is what I mean when I say "it gets stuck" I let my finger completely off the trigger and it fails to go all the way forward. It doesn't reset, and gets stuck. There are two ways to get it unstuck. One is to pull the hammer back slightly, just a hair, and the trigger clicks to the forward position. The other is to open the cylinder and when I close it I can see the trigger go to the forward position and reset itself. I really don't want to take it apart because it is a new gun that has never been fired or taken apart and it shouldn't have any problems at all. I think I will give Ruger a call on Monday and arrange to send it back. When you buy a new gun you don't expect to have any problems with it. I just posted this because I wanted to see if anyone else had ever had this problem.

I have a Ruger GP100 Match Champion that has an awesome trigger. I wish this Redhawk was like that Match Champion. Does Ruger do custom work?

41-44-45-48

Single-Sixer
I once had a blackhawk that the trigger wouldn't reset on because the "step" in the hammer that the transfer bar rests in wasn't clearenced enough to allow the trigger spring to pull the transfer bar down upon reset. Basically the hammer was pinching the transfer bar between it and the frame. I fixed it by filing that step in the hammer down a bit until I achieved proper clearence. I'm not sure the double action Redhawk could have the same problem but it might be worth looking at. The fact that yours will reset by pulling the hammer back slightly is very indicative that this might be your issue.

Of course I completely understand some owners aren't comfortable with the idea of taking a file to brand new $800 revolver in which case Ruger will happy to fix it for you.

Some times there are burrs, and filings in the trigger area. I would at least give it a lube job to see if that affected it. Good luck. Let us know how it turns out.
gramps

maf

Bearcat
Seaweed02 said:
Hello all. I just joined this forum today. I also just bought a brand new, not used, Ruger Redhawk with a 4 inch barrel. I think it is beautiful, but the trigger seems to stick sometimes. Quite often actually. I have never fired it. I brought it home today, put some A-Zoom snap caps in it, and began dry firing it a few hundred times. As I did it more and more the sticking seems to occur more and more often. The trigger doesn't rebound and therefore the cylinder and trigger get stuck. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Call Ruger, and get an RMA to send the gun back. It won't get any better. Last November I bought a brand new 5.5 inch Redhawk .44. My gun's trigger would stick a lot, and got worse over time. My gun also had sharp burs on the hammer spur. So much, my thumb would bleed from shooting 50 rounds in single action mode. There was also an issue with barrel leading and a hitch in the action when cocking (one chamber only). I pondered sending the gun out to pay for a trigger job. I finally thought Ruger should see the gun. I called and was sent a shipping label quickly.

I think Ruger had my gun for 10 days. The repair slip said reassemble hammer strut and de-bur hammer. I don't know. I believe they did more to my gun. The hammer was fixed, the trigger returns (and is considerably smoother). The hitch that was causing the cylinder to bind was gone. The burs in the crane area were gone, and the front of the cylinder was polished. No more leading, either.

Ruger will make it right. It was just aggravating after paying almost $900 for a new gun (that should've been trouble free).

Seaweed02

Bearcat
Yesterday I took it apart and looked for any debris or dirt inside and couldn't find anything. I lubed it a little with some oil, and the trigger sticking stopped, however now it sometimes cycles the cylinder but doesn't cock the hammer. Just every once in a while, but still shouldn't do that.

Clean it, run about 50 rounds through it, clean and repeat. If after a few hundred rounds it still has a problem, contact Ruger. It's a machine, machines aren't ever perfect when it comes to the relationship of all the parts. But, "running in" a machine usually lets the parts mesh better.

maf

Bearcat
Jeepnik said:
Clean it, run about 50 rounds through it, clean and repeat. If after a few hundred rounds it still has a problem, contact Ruger. It's a machine, machines aren't ever perfect when it comes to the relationship of all the parts. But, "running in" a machine usually lets the parts mesh better.

I respectfully disagree. The gun is out of spec. Shooting it will accomplish nothing. I put almost 500 rounds through mine, and it was getting worse. The OP will just be wasting ammo, time, and money.

maf said:
Jeepnik said:

I respectfully disagree. The gun is out of spec. Shooting it will accomplish nothing. I put almost 500 rounds through mine, and it was getting worse. The OP will just be wasting ammo, time, and money.

Folks have different experiences. First thing I ever do when a gun gives me problems is clean it. In all but a very few instances that fixed it.

I consider myself soooooo lucky, I'm 30 for 30 give or take when it comes to Ruger purchases over the years, in the last year alone I've bought a .22lr LCR, a .38 LCR, a GP100 Match Champion, a .22lr SP101, a 10/22, and a Mini-14, I have had zero issues with any of them, after a good cleaning and function check they all performed as they should with lots of rounds through all of them. My only call to Ruger was to replace a plunger spring in my SP101 that I jettisoned through a tear in the space-time continuum, never to be found again, Ruger sent me two...for free.

demented

Single-Sixer
I'd send it back now. I'd not waste my time or money on ammo on something that Ruger should have caught before it was sent out for sale. I got into the trial and eroor a couple times with Ruger pistols, which they did fix but onky after much aggravation and more than a few bucks on ammo.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Have had my fair share of " new " Rugers. Several of them have had sticky spots or rough spots. A few I've sent in. All been repaired. A Talo Redhawk actually had chips and shavings falling from the trigger slot ... I always strip them down , clean and lube. Usually helps with the sticky spots. Follow the manual or watch the videos on Rugers website ... I don't usually take the trigger group apart , but use some pressurized cleaner and blow the debris out and relube ....if it still doesn't work right ..then send it back. Good luck

regards brushunter

Mus408

Hunter
Of all my new Ruger guns the only one I had trouble with happened to be the most expensive and supposed higher quality...my Ruger 454/45 Alaskan. It went back to Ruger like a Vega and came back like a Caddy!