GP100 cylinder unscrewing

Help Support Ruger Forum:

june dad

Bearcat
Hello to the forum. I have a few Ruger shotguns and couple of handguns.I just got a GP100 that is new to me. A Match Champion. The cylinder seems to be unscrewing Should I put a little Blue Loctite or fingernail polish on the threads or any ideas. Thanks

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
It's not supposed to do that. I am not sure exactly how the cylinder is attached to the yoke, uses some kind of special clip, but it isn't supposed to unscrew. :D

The cylinder is pinned to the crane, the only screw is inside the cylinder and holds the ejector group together and you don't want Lochtite anywhere near that. Could you provide a picture of the actual problem? Oh yea, welcome to the forum!

june dad

Bearcat
Thanks for the replys. Yes the cylinder is left handed threads, not sure if it only needs tightened or something else. Plan to disassemble this weekend. I have shot only a few rounds through. I bought the gun used as is. When the cylinder gets loose it is hard to set the hammer for SA. Was looking for opinions or possible members that had same problem. Thanks again will keep you posted.

If the screw inside of the cylinder came loose the ejector/latch group would be affected, getting to that screw requires disassembly of the crane/front latch assembly. It's reverse thread and they make bits to fit the screw but you can make a tool by cutting a slot in a flat blade screwdriver. If you choose to use liquid Lochtite be careful not to use too much because Lochtite on the center rod could affect the function of both the front and rear cylinder latches, not to mention ejector function itself.

DPris

Buckeye
I can't picture the cylinder unscrewing.
Can anybody else explain it for me, please?
Denis

schloss

Single-Sixer
DPris said:
Denis

I've been trying to figure this out as well. I can't picture what is actually going on.

DPris

Buckeye
I've been shooting GPs since '88, looked at the exploded diagram again, and I still cannot see how the cylinder can unscrew.
Don't mean to be obtuse, but I genuinely can't imagine what's going on there.
Denis

DPris said:
Denis

That was my original question too, I'm just guessing he's talking about the ejector screw but it takes a little work to even see it in a MC...hopefully we'll get a clarification.

june dad

Bearcat
Thanks for the replys, I called Ruger today and I will send it back to them. I will post what they tell me. If when loading the cylinder it will unscrew the ejector rod and make it difficult to pull the hammer back. Hope that is a better explanation. Thanks again enjoy the forum.

The only thing that could cause that would be the ejector screw has come loose and is hung up on the ejector rod which is stationary, because the ejector rod is pinned in the ejector gets pushed out of the other side. It will be a simple fix for them, if you want to see how to get to the screw I found a video that will help. It looks difficult but it's not, I do it once a year or so during a real good cleaning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0scTLrjUsw

DPris

Buckeye
Guess I'm having an overly dense week.
I still can't for the life of me understand what's going on.

The ejector can't unscrew.
The cylinder can't unscrew.
Denis

DPris said:
Guess I'm having an overly dense week.
I still can't for the life of me understand what's going on.

The ejector can't unscrew.
The cylinder can't unscrew.
Denis

Take your SP101 apart and you'll see the screw inside of the cylinder, to see it on your GP100 you'll have to unpin the crane/cylinder assy.

DPris

Buckeye
Part 60 in Brownells diagram?
That screw would back out & cause the hammer to bind?
Denis

DPris said:
Part 60 in Brownells diagram?
That screw would back out & cause the hammer to bind?
Denis

That's the part, however, to cause the issue that he's having(pushing the ejector(56) out), the screw(60) has to be hung up on the ejector rod(10) as that part is stationary, when you rotate the cylinder the rod could act like a bit and hold the screw, since the screw cannot move backwards it would push the ejector out of the cylinder. I guess if the ejector got pushed out the bullet cases could bind on the frame or the cylinder pawl could be a little out of alignment. I would actually like to see this in person.

june dad

Bearcat
Hello forum members, I got the gp100 back from Ruger a couple days ago. Appears to be fixed, I have not had a chance to fire it. The report from Ruger was that they replaced the ejector retaining screw, pawl, and adjusted timing. Also a safety function check and range testing was performed. Travel time and repair was less than two weeks. Very satisfied with Ruger for repairing the revolver. I have always had excellent service with Ruger, just wish all companies were this customer friendly. I have purchased more than five firearms from Ruger most new, some used. If they have what I want I would again make sure they get my hard earned money. June dad