2003-2004 Bisley Super Blackhawk Hunter 44 Mag

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BKS

Bearcat
I picked up a BHH yesterday at a shop. The gun looks really good, absolutely NO flame cutting on the top strap or cylinders. It has a Simmons 2x7 prohunter on it.
A check of the S/N and the fired shell package indicate late 2003 production.

With a 44 mag of this age, anything I should do it? I have already talked to a loval gunsmith about slicking the action and reducing the trigger pull.

Any comments appreciated.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
They are a good solid gun. The trigger can be improved by reducing the trigger return spring tension. Work on the action, besides a little polishing, should only be done by an experienced gunsmith.

...a little bit about the springs.

http://www.cylindersmith.com/triggerspring.html

Yetiman

Bearcat
My Hunter, and every other one I have handled had quite a bit of creep in the trigger. A light polishing and some spring tuning by knowing hands should fix it right up and make it a great shooter.

I had mine worked over a bit by David Clements earlier this year and it is a thing of beauty to shoot.

sailorb

Single-Sixer
I put a Wolff spring kit in mine and it is the best shooting handgun I own. No polishing necessary. I also added Williams Fire Sights which help my aging eyes align things. If I could only keep one gun, this would be it.

brushunter

Single-Sixer
Mine is 5 or six years old now. Action wasn't bad from the box though the trigger was a bit stiff. I just dropped a leg from the spring under the grip panel. Really made a difference. Sure cheaper than sending it out. After trying it out on the Bisley, I've done that to all my Ruger single actions. Works well for me.

regards , brushunter

Latest posts