my alaska custom ruger and rig...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
After seeing all the amazing custom gun work lately, I just couldn't help but show mine off as well..... :wink:
The custom faux bluing pattern is unique to the gun and changes almost daily...... I have found that continually drawing and re inserting it into my usually rather damp holster has buffed certain area's to a nifty bright shine...
Who needs stainless!! or those costly bluing tanks!
The equally custom texture to the holster was lovingly applied by rocks gravel, mud and water.......
It appears that even the brass of my ammo has taken on a bit of a dull luster......

See.. all ya really gotta do to get a true custom is to drag it out into the sticks.. (kicking and screaming, I'm thinkin)..... and let it play some...... before you know it you'll have a gun you can identify from 20 yards with one eye covered and a stigmatism in the other!!

Now don't hate cause my ruger seems a bit worse for wear... She's ridden with me since I got up here.. rain, shine, heat, snow.... up to my butinski in cold river water, tugging a boat off a submerged gravel bar.... tumbling gracefully down a hillside.. (totally on purpose)...... and lots of other activities I can not recall...
But so far she has always remained in that baggy old.. umm... custom gun rig...

ciao y'all...... :wink:

By the way.... the ammo is "Alaska Ammo 320 hardcast.... My lil buckeroo's.......

What BPJ said! :). Yep, that is a one of a kind, custom gun and holster. 8) I was going to ask about caliber, but I was able to make it big enough of on my screen to read .44 magnum :shock: :lol:
gramps

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Bear Paw Jack said:
I think you are having more fun than you are letting on. :)

Now Bear Paw.... we discussed this!... I never relate any adventure until at least two months after the nightmares stop!!!!
:lol:
But I might be able to cobble something together soon...
As you know very well... those adventures only occur when something goes awry.... And after that point it is usually just P.I.A....

As for my .44 (Thumper)... well.. Alaska is hard on stuff....
If you see someone riding snowmobile and their windshield isn't zip tied together... they are from Anchorage
If their ATV, still has all its fenders intact...... Anchorage......
:wink:

It's just the way it goes.....
Although I have learned to "not", beat up my equipment quite so badly as I did in the beginning... It is just to hard and expensive to repair/replace.....
The only thing harder on stuff than Alaska.... is loaning something out to someone.... never... ever.. loan your snowmobile/atv out..... (certain rare exceptions of course)... because I guarantee it will come back damaged or broken, with no offer to fix....
been there.... that's how I lost my boat....
Anywhoo..... gotta go work on a dozer track this morning....
ciao y'all.....

planetcat

Single-Sixer
I like the finish on it. I probably couldn't get that on my .41 NMBH if I tried. Good story behind it too.

Reuben J Cogburn Quote: "Now Bear Paw.... we discussed this!... I never relate any adventure until at least two months after the nightmares stop!!!!"

For those who wonder about such things, in Anchorage during Solstice the sun was up for 19hours and 21 minutes. I'm pretty sure it was up longer than that in Talkeetna, and even longer yet in Fairbanks. In Barrow Alaska where I spent 4 years, the sun never went down. What this means is that it may take longer than two months for some night mares to stop. :) Of course in the winter, it make take less time.

The cool thing is your gun doesn't have to tell stories, as you were there and can tell the stories your gun has gone through. Mine on the other hand is stainless, so it doesn't look like we've had any cool experiences. :)

paul105

Single-Sixer
Love working guns, yours is a perfect example!

I recognize that holster -- here's mine (picture from about 5 years ago). Rob hates it when I post a picture of this holster. He's offered to refurb it several time, but it just works as is.

045.jpg

Paul

reuben_j_cogburn

Blackhawk
Looks like Rob is Getting away from the totally covered hammer idea.... That and thecovered muzzle was the way he insisted....
I always got a good break on the mis-sown ones.... Not that they got mis-sown on purpose you understand!!!
:)