The New-Age .45 Colt - by Max Prasac

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Diamondtreo

Single-Sixer
Woo Hoo! I've had a twin to the one pictured in the article since 2007 or so. Haven't shot it much, but I can attest to the Bisley grip taming recoil and it being a tack driver.

tinman

Buckeye
If I wanted one of these (and I do) would it be model # 0470 shown in this listing ?

http://www.ruger.com/products/newModelBlackhawkBisley/models.html

A handgun in 45 Colt has been my go to hunting handgun for four decades. Nice job on the article Max.

P3120205800x600.jpg

PC190154-1800x600.jpg

Ribbedguns026-1.jpg

P3180080-001_zps0tiednzc.jpg

Mus408

Hunter
Great article and of course very seasoned .45 Colt shooters have known this!
Love my .45's !!

TX Nimrod

Bearcat
Sorry, to me it's just another puff piece repeating what has been written by dozens of others. Nothing shows me the author has any hunting experience with the .45. Not calling him less than honest at all - but he is repeating old news that anyone who reads gun forums could rewrite.

Nothing new, it panders to those with similar beliefs - another "magic .45" article. Don't get me wrong, I've owned more than one .45LC over the last 40 years and currently own four. I love the cartridge and have killed a lot of game with it. I guess I'm just immune to such purple prose after four decades of shooting the old Colt case. I'd rather shoot than read the same old s**t.

MaxP

Buckeye
TX Nimrod said:
Sorry, to me it's just another puff piece repeating what has been written by dozens of others. Nothing shows me the author has any hunting experience with the .45. Not calling him less than honest at all - but he is repeating old news that anyone who reads gun forums could rewrite.

Nothing new, it panders to those with similar beliefs - another "magic .45" article. Don't get me wrong, I've owned more than one .45LC over the last 40 years and currently own four. I love the cartridge and have killed a lot of game with it. I guess I'm just immune to such purple prose after four decades of shooting the old Colt case. I'd rather shoot than read the same old s**t.

Thanks.

Let me provide a little context. It was originally a piece done as a counter to a guy who was touting the .357 Magnum as the ultimate handgun hunting caliber. So, I had to lay out the attributes of the .45 Colt and why I think it is a better choice all the way around, particularly for those who have not considered the old warhorse as a viable option - or even handgun hunting for that matter. Is it starting to make more sense now? I have killed plenty of game with the .45 Colt. The water buffalo in my avatar was taken with a .45 Colt (.454 loaded with .45 Colt +P loads) and he tipped the scales at more than 2,000 lbs.

I started with the 357, in a stainless Security Six. When I decided to go with a bigger bore for hunting etc, I chose the 44 mag. At times I wished I would have went with the 45, mostly for nostalgia. But once I had numerous 44's and reloading equipment I didn't want to add another caliber.

Of course that changed since I got the 480 Ruger.

Oh, and nice read Max.

contender

Ruger Guru
TX Nimrod,,, if you doubt Max's credentials,, may I suggest you purchase his books. I have & I've read them.
I've also followed many of his posts in a few other places,, so when I read his article on that site, I knew it was just a bit of basic info for many folks who ask questions about the 45 Colt.
And another known writer has been assembling a new book on the 45 Colt. Why? Because there is a whole lot of info about them & more than can be put in a few internet articles.

To question his credentials due to a short piece like that w/o knowing him would be the same as anyone questioning you about your work without knowing anything about you.

And if it appears that he re-wrote stuff,,, it may be because so much has been written about the 45 Colt for over a century.
But get his books, read them & then you will understand that he has the knowledge & experience to back it up.

CraigC

Hawkeye
TX Nimrod said:

Wow, did your wife reject your advances before you posted that, or what?

The article in question was produced at the expense of others. It is hosted on my website and is free for all to read. You paid exactly nothing for it. If it does nothing for you, move along. If you think you can do better, you are welcome to submit your own article for consideration.

woodpuppy

Single-Sixer
Arisin' Wind said:
A handgun in 45 Colt has been my go to hunting handgun for four decades. Nice job on the article Max.

P3180080-001_zps0tiednzc.jpg

That Redhawk speaks to me. Eagle grips?

protoolman

Service-Sixer
Gee Max the water buffalo in your avatar is all the credentials I need. I seem to remember Elmer Keith saying about the same thing about penetration on Elk with any heavy swc bullet over 900 fps. Wonder when your critic will be back to admit he might have misjudged you?