Hammers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Varminterror

Blackhawk
The Super Blackhawk and Montado hammers are identically profiled, but the SBH has "line" checkering, whereas the Montado has a framed crosshatch checkering. The Bisley hammer is a lower hammer than the SBH/Montado, with a deep belly swooping curve to it.

RugerHammers_topview.jpg

The Bisley also has a bit more "junk in the trunk," meaning that it has a larger radius on the base, this has to be trimmed down if you want to use a Bisley hammer in anything but a bisley grip frame.

Kanook

Buckeye
Dang, all this time I thought it was Roofing, Sledge, and Finishing :D

Hondo44

Hawkeye
whichwatch said:
contender said:
If I had all 3,,, I'd do a side by side picture to explain.

Your explanation is completely worthless.

Wise old advice: "If you can't say something positive, it's best not to say anything." This forum is a very good one because it's a civil one among friendly members, unlike like too many others.

contender said:
If I had all 3,,, I'd do a side by side picture to explain.

I agree ,not enough hours in the day to try and type out the explanation of the subtle differences, and to ask for , and GET TWO good pictures (thank you gentlemen) that almost lets us know the differences.( and being they are "new models' no less) ,makes for some of the old timers to even bother to "care"........
so why waste the time and effort 8) :roll: :wink:

contender

Ruger Guru
Gee whichwatch,,, what did I do to pizz in your cornflakes?

I, like rugerguy, felt it would take a lot to type out the info explaining the differences. I felt my response would do a few things.
(1) Prompt a fellow member to take a picture or two & post them, (it did!)
(2) Keep the post alive & let others see it before it got moved so far down the OP wouldn't get any answers. That way, the OP would get good info and an answer to his question.

So, if you have any issues with me,,, I'd politely ask you either PM me, or grow up & act civil around here. If you don't like me,,, fine,,, but to be so rude is not how MOST of the folks around here act.
And I see you failed to offer anything to help the OP.

eveled

Hawkeye
contender said:

Thanks a lot! I had cornflakes for breakfast, you jus turned my stomach. :(

Chief_10Beers

Blackhawk
contender said:

I, like rugerguy, felt it would take a lot to type out the info explaining the differences. I felt my response would do a few things.
(1) Prompt a fellow member to take a picture or two & post them, (it did!)
(2) Keep the post alive & let others see it before it got moved so far down the OP wouldn't get any answers. That way, the OP would get good info and an answer to his question.

So, if you have any issues with me,,, I'd politely ask you either PM me, or grow up & act civil around here. If you don't like me,,, fine,,, but to be so rude is not how MOST of the folks around here act.
And I see you failed to offer anything to help the OP.

Don't worry about that guy, just show him a pic of just your SA collection, he'll crap his pants fer sure :lol: .......................................................

ginzo

Single-Sixer
I have exactly 2 Six series guns in Ruger, does that help?
And I'll raise you 4 S&W's.........
And a Remington 870 Wing master. Some of these guns have hammers.

Here is a picture if it helps:

eveled

Hawkeye
Here's how I see it, Contender made a post that had no relevant info in it. Big deal.

Why is it whichwatches place to police such things in such a harsh manner?

Then it turns into a pizzing match, and I can't eat cornflakes ever again.

contender

Ruger Guru
eveled,,, I truly apologize for upsetting your cornflakes breakfast. I must blame my brother for teaching me an age old saying.

ginzo

Single-Sixer
I never liked cornflakes, but because of you "Gentlemen" I'm not sure I can eat any type of breakfast cereal again. (Captain Crunch was my favorite too).

contender said:
eveled,,, I truly apologize for upsetting your cornflakes breakfast. I must blame my brother for teaching me an age old saying.
eveled said:
Here's how I see it, Contender made a post that had no relevant info in it. Big deal.

Why is it whichwatches place to police such things in such a harsh manner?

Then it turns into a pizzing match, and I can't eat cornflakes ever again.

Tip

Single-Sixer
Varminterror said:
The Super Blackhawk and Montado hammers are identically profiled, but the SBH has "line" checkering, whereas the Montado has a framed crosshatch checkering..
RugerHammers_topview.jpg

21jajo4.jpg

And, I guess if your SBH is old enough, the line checkering, or serrations on the hammer, might just be wavy.
It's minutiae, I know.Just something I hadn't ever noticed before this thread.
Peace.

coach

Hunter
I wasn't asking, but the photos and explanations were good to see since I don't have all of those guns. I've noticed the differences, but never saw them all together like that.
I always liked the feel of the Super Blackhawk hammer. More and easier to pull back.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Tip said:
21jajo4.jpg

And, I guess if your SBH is old enough, the line checkering, or serrations on the hammer, might just be wavy.
It's minutiae, I know. Just something I hadn't ever noticed before this thread.
Peace.

Those are called serrations and some of the new model hammers are even a lot worse than that.

One other point of minutia:

Notice how nice the old model hammers like on your 3 screw, taper nicely to the tip and the hammer shank doesn't stick out of the frame a 1/4" or more! Instead of the blocky cut off tips of new models. I've had to re-contour my new model hammers for this little bit of panache. I notice the new vaquero and new flat top hammers have narrowed the hammer shanks however, a nice improvement. And also their hammer bases are enlarged to fit flush with the larger grip frame ears introduced in 1999.

Similar issues to having to remove the ugly web behind the new model triggers.

New model trigger with return spring web contoured to the trigger guard:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Latest posts