Security six questions

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
I am new to the forums here. I have a whole mess of Rugers in one form or another. I just picked up this Security Six. I changed the grip from the original because the original grip were to small for my hands. It's a 357 and I think it is a 2 inch barrel. I have not seen any SS with this barrel before. I picked it up from an estate sale for $150. I know it was a steal. It shoots fine but the rear sight is all the way to the right. I called Ruger to have the pistol refinished back to factory new. They told me that they will not due to the fact that they do not make the revolver anymore. They would do give me a credit on the gun and apply it to a new revolver. I really like this gun and do not want to part with it. How can I get it refinished to new? It is in great condition and I am probably just being OCD. So any thoughts on rear sight being way to the right? And how can I get this wheel gun back to factory new? Thanks

image.jpg3_zpsfoujbqzh.jpg.html

image.jpg1_zpsarykmqoi.jpg.html

image.jpg2_zpslwjmf5nd.jpg.html

schloss

Single-Sixer
I can't see any pictures.

Usually if the rear sight has to be cranked all the way to one side, there is a problem with the front sight being shifted or bent, or the barrel turned a little. The other side to that is that it could be your shooting, in that your trigger pull isn't straight, and you're pulling it to the side.

If this gun is stainless, you can clean it up on your own with some sandpaper and scotchbrite pads.

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
I followed the image instructions for using photobucket. Still no images? Help please. I will post the images as soon as I figure it out.

hittman

Staff member
When you're in your Photobucket library, view the pic you want to post ... over on the right side I think it's the "IMG" box you'll see under 2 or 3 others. I put my curser there, right click to copy and then paste it to the Forum here. Hope that makes sense.

Pauerpilot,
Welcome to the forum. To find the length of the barrel, measure from the font of the barrel to the rear of the forcing cone. It is probably 2 3/4". Many just measure to the frame and that does not take into account the part of the barrel that screws through the frame.

If it is stainless steel, that is pretty easy to clean up. You can use Scotchbrite pads or stainless steel wool to get rid of the marks, unless they are very deep, then it takes a careful hand and power tools to do the job right. Or you can take it to a gunsmith and have them redo it for you.

As for the rear sight:

First, shoot the gun from a rest to actually see where it shoots. If it shoots to point of aim, then go to step 2. If it shoots too far right, readjust the rear sight, maybe the previous owner had a condition that required the gun to be sighted that way.

Second, set up the gun so that it is level and vertical (resting on the bottom of the grip frame, make sure it is not canted left or right). Then look at the front sight from the front. It should not be canted from vertical. If the rear sight is all the way to the right, the front sight should be canted to the right as viewed from the front of the gun (to the left if viewed from the rear of the gun). If that is the case, then the barrel has been screwed into the frame too much, taking it beyond vertical. If the barrel is on there tight, then the only recourse is to take it to a gunsmith so he can requalify the barrel (remove the barrel, reface the barrel shoulder and recut and trim the forcing cone and also (some people forget about this) trim the ejector rod so it fits correctly with the now slightly shorter barrel.

As an afterthought, I talked about the barrel being on tight. If the barrel is loose enough for you to turn with your hands (hopefully not), then it is much too loose and needs to go to a gunsmith to correct that problem.

contender

Ruger Guru
Welcome to the Forum!
All good info above. I do think that MAYBE they may be mistaking your SS for Stainless Steel when talking of restoring it.
However, if it's a blued gun, then any good gunsmith can redo a bluing job. The key word is "good" for the gunsmith. Don't send it back to Ruger, as you may not get it back.

As for posting pictures, go to our "Gallery" section, and at the top is a "sticky" about how to post pics.

Good catch Ty. He didn't say if it was blue or stainless and I saw the SS so I assumed he meant stainless steel but now that I reread it closer, he probably meant a Security Six (SS) "with that barrel length."

OP, if it is a blued gun, there are any number of gunsmiths around that can do a good job on a reblue, or you can go with a coating such as Cerakote to refinish your gun.

pisgah

Buckeye
If the front sight is not canted, consider one other possibility. For some folks, especially when shooting magnum loads, the Security Six standard grips (if that's what you have) can be a bit skimpy, making it hard to hold on to the gun and exacerbating the least little flaw in the way you grip the gun. Sometimes a beefier grip allows you to maintain control a bit better and helps with a problem like you are having.

Pauerpilot

Single-Sixer
image.jpg3_zpsfoujbqzh.jpg

image.jpg1_zpsarykmqoi.jpg

image.jpg2_zpslwjmf5nd.jpg

Finally figured it out!

Ok for my poor terminology, SS to me was meant to imply Security Six not Stainless Steel. Apologies for the confusion. As for the pistol, the estate sale was from a hoarder that had hundreds of rifles, shotguns and handguns. This particular pistol was not shot very much. The person was home bound and used this as his home defense handgun. Loaded and unloaded and rarely shot is pretty much the life of this handgun. I am certain that the pistol was not messed with as far as the barrel is concerned. It does have a mark on the rear sight (picture 3) that would indicate to me that it was dropped and landed on the rear sight. Is that a possibility for the sight going all the way to the right? I do not see damage on the rear sight other than the ding from the fall and impact. I am going to try and replace the rear sight spring, set screw and sight blade. Will those parts interchange with a GP100 or Blackhawk rear sight assembly? I would like to order those parts if they would fit. My Blackhawk looks like a match for parts but before I go about this I would like some information and feedback please.

Thanks all!

Al

Al,
That is a sweet little Security Six! Great home defense and carry gun. I don't believe GP or Blackhawk rear sight parts will fit, but you will soon hear from folks more knowledgeable than I. We have a great classified section for locating original style grips and various other parts for the Security Six. Welcome to the Ruger Forum!

ginzo

Single-Sixer
1st, welcome aboard. Nothin' wrong with that Six!! :D

Numrich will have the rear sight parts more than likely, and that looks like normal wear to me on the sight, unless the picture doesn't do it justice.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Ruger-33474/Revolvers-40405/SecuritySix-38347.htm?results=100

Mine looks like that.

LarryBG

Bearcat
In my experience, the finish on the rear sight of the Security Six showed some wear pretty quickly. You got a good one.

thumbs

Single-Sixer
LarryBG said:
In my experience, the finish on the rear sight of the Security Six showed some wear pretty quickly. You got a good one.

Yep my security six has the same wear. Gives it character. Mine was used also. Most are carried more than fired. Just holster wear.