doing a Brushed stainless finish?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

LSCG

Buckeye
I just fit a new/rough grip frame to my single seven and was wondering what is the best way get a brushed stainless look on it so it will match the main frame and barrel?

I've heard some people mention scotch brite pads but thought i'd ask here before I bought anything.

roylt

Hunter
You can very the finish some too by how hard you push. How much pressure you apply as you rub with the scotch brite pad. I even use used pads sometimes when I want to be sure not to make things worse.

I suggest trying on a spot that can be buffed out easy to learn. A bit of skill in it if you ask me.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
What Chuck 100 yd posted. Most of the bright polished models didn't have the course sanding marks leveled before polishing. This must be done first with progressively finer grit paper and sanding block. Otherwise they show worse thru the brushed finish.

good info above, and the only thing I question is when you say "new/rough" frame, just "how" much one has to do to even things out, 'fit' to the cylinder frame and also the grips themselves, as well as even the metal out depending on how good or bad a casting it is in the first place...as the "satin " finish will be the LAST thing one has to do to make things "right".....
Good luck, take your time ,neatness counts 8) :wink:

Chuck 100 yd

Hunter
It seems a waste to put a high polish on a part just to turn around and rough it back up again with the Scotch Bright but that is the proper way to do it. I am usually going the other way and taking the brushed finish out to a high gloss finish. When doing that,you find the roughness and bad spots the factory hid under that brushed finish. A trained eye will spot those goofs even under the brushed finish.

Latest posts